Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation TV - Will it breath life into the VITA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation TV - Will it breath life into the VITA?

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationtv/

I think at $99 the Playstation TV console is a great move for Sony. I personally think it will breath some life into the Vita since it will be the first way to allow you to play Vita games on TV. I also like that Playstation Now will allow people to play PS3 games on the Vita without even owning a PS3 (if I am understanding the concept correctly). I have always owned a Vita and I think that it will make things more interesting as now I can play my Vita games on TV and I will be able to play PS3 games now (considering I've never owned a PS3).

Do you think this will breath some life into the Vita? Do you think this will get people to purchase Vita games even if they do not own a Vita since it will have a Vita card slot built in? Maybe it will possibly spur people to buy the handheld?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Oldskool; 10-14-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If Sony released in the west last year when it released in Japan, yeah, it would have helped. Now? No. Amazon Fire TV is out and it's a better quality product, not limited to 720p. It's got far more apps that are usable just through Amazon, anything from Google Play is possible(not officially,) and if someone wanted to play everything the Vita could play and then some(aside from Vita only games,) the Amazon Fire TV can emulate everything playable on PSP and up to the Dreamcast full speed. Also can use four controllers at once.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It appears you're right, if the PS3 game isn't I suppose too taxing as it's still beefier than a PS3, and it's on their full game download services, it will work on the Vita if Sony flags it to like that long list on that link you gave. That's pretty interesting if you don't mind digital downloads. I think it's a pretty neat box at least for allowing the use of Vita games on a TV. I see is does remote PS4 play, but can it alone use a pS4 controller? I'd hope as it would make for games like Uncharted to be playable since it used the Vita's touch sensor for some gameplay mechanics.

I could never see myself blowing $100 on it, but that said, if I found one for around 1/2 that price or got it as a gift I'd keep and use it. I had a Vita once with 5 games (4 which I really liked) and there's probably another 10~ games I would like to take a crack at. I don't think I'd find much other use for it seeing that it would be on the same TV as the PS4 which is a shame. I'd think if I could get a new Vita for $100 I'd still take that over it but it is a cool device for those wanting a set top box and don't like little handheld screens. THis probably will help sell a few Vita games but I doubt enough to really make a dent.

Edit: I just skimmed the Vita compatibility list, of the games I had, it appears Hot Shots, Lumines, Uncharted, Katamari don't work -- that's bs. Just the one I didn't like does - UMvsC3.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 10-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I cancelled my preorder.

At least for me, what it currently does just isn't enough. I don't have a PS4. Most of the Vita games I like wont work on it.

I want to see more reviews and Youtube videos before considering it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was considering one of these since it sounded like a cool idea, but now, I don' t think it's that good of an investment. I can't figure out who the target audience is for this item. There is a Vita TV bundle that includes The Lego Movie, so are they trying to attract kids? Or, is it a niche product for hardcore gamers who probably already own a Vita and want to play the games they already own on the big screen? I don't really see too much of a point of owning it since the original Vita's screen looks great to me, and the Vita TV's onboard memory is only 1 gb, which means that you still rely on Sony's extremely overpriced memory cards to save any of the games. At this point, my next Sony product would be a PS3 with a 500 gb hard drive on it so I can finally download the majority of my digital PS3 backlog or a hard drive for my 120 gb slim, which from what I've read is a bit difficult to install.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    which from what I've read is a bit difficult to install.
    http://joypadandme.com/tech-tips/tec...im-hard-drive/

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Might get it simply because of the PS3 capabilities. Never owned one. All the Vita games I like don't use the gimmicky stuff anyway.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Might get it simply because of the PS3 capabilities. Never owned one. All the Vita games I like don't use the gimmicky stuff anyway.
    I want access to all my digital purchases on PSN without owning an actual PS3. PSP doesn't cut it and takes too long to download them. I still buy from the PS Store and now reading what this can do, I'm tempted. I know next to nothing about the actual Vita or its library, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can Vita compatible downloads like Silent Hill (PS1) and Sega Genesis Collection (PSP), which are on the Vita handheld compatibility list but not the Vita TV's, be accessed via alternate means such as a transfer from a PS3 or swapping the card to a Vita handheld to download?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I wanted to buy it for ps4 remote play and to play a couple of psp and vita games on the big screen, but my second tv only has a dvi input it works with hdmi but no sound passthrough... wish they had put a stereo 3.5mm output, ps cable or rca outout.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I plan on getting one why not its only $100 and has enough reasons to do so

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was kind of interested... Then I watched an unboxing and a review of it. The system just looks cheaply made, even compared to FireTV or Ouya.

I don't mind the idea but I wish it was handled better. I still think they should release an HDMI adapter for the Vita someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I bought it yesterday, and for the same price ouya is a much better option. The ps4 remote play is not smooth, I use lan cables and powerline adapters and i get half a second of lag. Too many incompatibles games altough its nice to play the ones that work on the tv. Also enjoyed playing psp games like maverick hunter x, ultimate ghouls and ghost and gta lcs. My favorite psp game castlevania is not compatible and i dont know why since pstv is just a vita with video output

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    My favorite psp game castlevania is not compatible and i dont know why since pstv is just a vita with video output
    Mine too. That's stupid it's not compatible. It's compatible on the Amazon Fire TV, upscaled to 1080p too.

For those who have a Vita TV, this might interest you. Now the Vita hasn't been fully hacked, but it can be used as a CFW PSP. This hack could be a full hack or just PSP CFW. Whatever it is it works for the Vita TV. Anything 3.20 and below.

http://wololo.net/2014/10/20/vita-ha...firmware-3-20/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

ah...damnit. I've got 3.30. It doesn't work.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just realized something. It is cheaper than an actual Vita and you can even buy it used for $20 less than a new one. I think I'll get one this holiday season as an entry level PS Vita and then go for the games that actually can play on it first, starting with Dungeon Hunter Alliance which was one of the early titles I wanted and go from there. Wikipedia says that is compatible. Then when I do finally get the true handheld version, I'll have a library of favorites to play a second time on the go.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That is exactly what I did. I don't have a Vita but I did buy a Vita TV because well, the Vita TV is worth buying for Persona 4 Golden alone.

Seriously. P4G is probably the best killer app for a system launch since Halo on the original Xbox. It takes Persona 4, makes it widescreen, makes it HD, adds a ton of new content including features, characters, music and locations, adds tweaks to the gameplay to make it even more fun (and fair) removes the absolutely necessity to level grind and the Vita TV has a suspend mode so you can simply turn it off and resume later without turning off the entire game. This helps for when you're in a dungeon and don't want to go all the way back to a save point when you want to stop playing.

As for specific Vita games, don't use wikipedia. They are erroneous on several games they claim to work with the Vita TV but in actuality do not. They also simply say "yes" if a game is compatible or not with no further info. This is misleading as some games that work with the Vita TV only work with the Japanese or perhaps European release and NOT the US PlayStation TV.

Instead of relying on wikipedia, buying a game for your Vita TV and being disappointed that it doesn't work, instead go by Sony's official compatibility list. It's updated often, so just bookmark it.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...playstation-tv
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    That is exactly what I did. I don't have a Vita but I did buy a Vita TV because well, the Vita TV is worth buying for Persona 4 Golden alone.

Seriously. P4G is probably the best killer app for a system launch since Halo on the original Xbox. It takes Persona 4, makes it widescreen, makes it HD, adds a ton of new content including features, characters, music and locations, adds tweaks to the gameplay to make it even more fun (and fair) removes the absolutely necessity to level grind and the Vita TV has a suspend mode so you can simply turn it off and resume later without turning off the entire game. This helps for when you're in a dungeon and don't want to go all the way back to a save point when you want to stop playing.

As for specific Vita games, don't use wikipedia. They are erroneous on several games they claim to work with the Vita TV but in actuality do not. They also simply say "yes" if a game is compatible or not with no further info. This is misleading as some games that work with the Vita TV only work with the Japanese or perhaps European release and NOT the US PlayStation TV.

Instead of relying on wikipedia, buying a game for your Vita TV and being disappointed that it doesn't work, instead go by Sony's official compatibility list. It's updated often, so just bookmark it.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...playstation-tv
    What exact tweaks are there that make you dont have to grind? Im playing this game on PS2 but I get totalled on the Game Over dungeon. Its a really interesting game but Im not good at understanding the Persona fusing and apparently you need to use a specific Persona for this boss and I dont have either persona to fuse it. Its confusing for me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Uh oh, so Dungeon Hunter Alliance is on the Wikipedia list as a yes but is not mentioned at all on the official website. Do you know what versions of it worked somewhat or what issues it has causing it not to be on the official list?

I am also surprised to not see Suikoden as one of the PSTV compatible PS One Classics and I wonder why that is too.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I like idea of micro consoles. I own a Amazon Fire TV, and an Ouya. I use my Ouya alot, and use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. I probably will eventually get one to play Vita Games on the TV.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist