Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playstation TV - Will it breath life into the VITA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It scales PSP games to full screen 16:9, as it should. External PSP specific scalers aren't too expensive though, unlike something like the XRGB Mini which I believe can also handle the job. And some Sony displays like their 3D Playstation model also have special PSP modes that will properly upscale PSP software to full-screen.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    So you're baying the digital rental fee for PlayStation Now? to get PS3 games streamed from your PS4 to your Vita TV?

Good god no. Even if I already didn't have a PS3 with most of the games that interest me in my collection already, I would never rent a game from ps now, not at those ridiculous prices definitely not with the catalog they have available

In order of importance of what I use my vita TV for

Remote play ps4 in a different room
    Play the vita games it DOES support on full screen tv with controller (mostly dangaronpa and persona 4 golden)
    Play digital psp titles finally properly scaled to my tv unlike my psp go where I had to use the zoom setting in my tv and still didn't get it right
    Play ps1 titles mostly for the bilinear filtering on the vita, PS3 has smoothing but it's a little to smooth, too blurry for my taste
    Check my email on tv? Lol I ran out of uses

It does have a few set top box media apps that work like crackle and....crackle

I don't really care about this particular feature, I already have chromecast, PS3, ps4, Xbox and smart tv, I really didn't need another method of accessing Netflix and youtube
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Gotta admit, some of these PlayStation Mobile games are fun. And they work great on the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could have sworn I saw puzzle fighter on the original list Sony provided but couldn't not find it on the store last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    External PSP specific scalers aren't too expensive though, unlike something like the XRGB Mini which I believe can also handle the job.
    At the risk of going off-topic, is there a specific one that comes to mind?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Check out the LKV8000. It's $50-$75, basically the price of a current gen AAA game at release, and performs very well. Digital Press user Satoshi Matrix has a video review up of it on YouTube, as I recall from an old thread, if you want to see it explained and demonstrated.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, the LKV8000 is a great choice to play PSP games on an HDTV. It does a very good job, but the video quality isn't as absolutely flawless as what the Vita TV produces though PSN downloads. I'd say it's about 85% as good as the Vita TV.

So you're better to go official whenever possible, but there are PSP games that are still not on PSN at all, such as Megaman Powered Up. The only way to play those games on a tv is through a PSP and the LKV8000.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was hoping a dramatically cheaper option might have materialized. Those still look a bit pricey, alas.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I was hoping a dramatically cheaper option might have materialized. Those still look a bit pricey, alas.
    If only Sony had released an external UMD drive for this thing. The option is nonsense for North America, but had a fighting chance at making sense for Japan back when this thing launched a year ago. As long our firmware was able to interact with it, those of us willing to import could've been all set.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    but there are PSP games that are still not on PSN at all, such as Megaman Powered Up. The only way to play those games on a tv is through a PSP and the LKV8000.
    Once the Playstation TV receives the same exploit the PS Vita has received, it'll be able to act as a CFW PSP and all PSP games will be playable on it. No reason to go through a third party upscaler anymore when other products do a better job.

*edit*

I know the PPSSPP runs PSP full speed on some more recent cell phones, just looked it up and Amazon Fire TV happens to lag using the emulator. Maybe it'll get better. There's alwaysy the ability to hook a PC up to your TV using HDMI and using the PC version of the emulator to play any PSP game on an HDTV running full speed though.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-08-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's this about PS TV not working with Grandia? That's one of my PSN games that I wanted to play on it. Have they fixed it yet?

I like the small size of PSTV and that I can access all my PSN purchases without owning a PS3. Should I hold back for now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would only becuase there has been no mention on enabling any of the white listed games to play and Sony has treated this thing as an after thought. Probably selling mine soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The problem is that any exploits will be patched, so you choose either exploits and play hacked PSP games (how would you even get them on the Vita TV in the first place? Is there a USB adapter for the Vita memory cards...?)
    or you can have access to PSN.

There are a lot of Vita games that don't have physical releases at all, so you can't just decide to ignore PSN unless you plan to ignore a good percentage of the best games coming out on Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    What's this about PS TV not working with Grandia? That's one of my PSN games that I wanted to play on it. Have they fixed it yet?
    Sony has up a compatibility list for the PlayStation TV for Vita games, PSP games, PS1 games, PSP Minis and PS Mobile games. If the game you want isn't on the list, it currently does not work with the PlayStation TV. That includes PS1 Grandia 1. There's a lot of games that aren't playable on the Vita TV when they really should be. Right now it's kinda spotty.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...playstation-tv

This does bother me, but not enough to rage quit on the Vita TV and sell mine off like a sissy. There's Persona 4 Golden for it and most of the PSP games on PSN are available, so I'm literally good with just Persona 4 Golden, Lunar Silver Star Harmony on an HDTV (yessssss) and a couple of other games until next year.

I don't know for certain, but if I had to guess, perhaps some games aren't playable on the Vita TV yet due to licensing issues or perhaps emulation performance. Remember, the Vita does not have the PSP hardware. It runs PSP games via emulation. In either case, I believe these games will be added to the Vita TV eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    I like the small size of PSTV and that I can access all my PSN purchases without owning a PS3. Should I hold back for now?
    No. You cannot access all your PSN purchases without owning a PS3. That isn't even close to being true. The Vita TV cannot access any PS3 content through PSN. It can access most PS1 content, but it's in no way a substitute for a PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's my understanding that that isn't correct. There are some workarounds, such as installing a game on a Vita handheld and moving the memory card over to the Playstation TV, or transferring over from a PS3, which allows some releases currently disabled from being downloaded directly to a PSTV to still be played.

It's really just a big mess.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

So maybe if I copy my download of Suikoden that I have on my PS3 and hacked PSP Go onto the PSTV, it would work?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's my understanding that that isn't correct. There are some workarounds, such as installing a game on a Vita handheld and moving the memory card over to the Playstation TV, or transferring over from a PS3, which allows some releases currently disabled from being downloaded directly to a PSTV to still be played.

It's really just a big mess.
    How on earth would you transfer a downloaded game from a PS3 to a Vita TV...?

Also, what games are you talking about? No matter what, Dracula X Chronicles doesn't work on the Vita TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know, I've only read about it. I suspect it's similar to moving it from a PS3 to a Vita handheld, even though apparently the remote play functionality doesn't work on a PSTV with a PS3 (Neither the standard PSP to PS3 remote play, nor the enhanced Vita handheld remote functionality such as with the Ico Collection.).

It's possible I've slightly mixed it up though, and the two tricks are transferring from a PS3 to a Vita handheld for the games that can't be downloaded directly to a Vita handheld, or download directly to a Vita handheld for the selection of games compatible there but officially not on the PSTV. Then, of course, you move over your memory card afterwards to the PSTV.

And I haven't kept a list of games that work via this workaround, but some most definitely do while others will still end up with an error message. It took all of 5 seconds on a search engine to find one notable example with Valkyria Chronicles II and there are definitely quite a few others.

The Vita handheld is the same way. Not every PSP compatible download able to be played on it is able to be downloaded directly. A good slice of the list of non-compatible games however can just be downloaded and transferred over from a PS3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I need to invest in is actually a bigger memory card for my PSP. That way I can have all or most of my PSN purchases so far on the system. PSP has a slow wi-fi connection so downloading and installing games like Grandia can take over an hour. I however, found that the MediaGo application by Sony cuts down this time significantly, so my confidence is boosted. I use a TV cable for my PSP when running PS Classics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You have no choice these days. Direct downloading to the PSP was discontinued a while back. [Edit: It's my understanding that a recent firmware patch for the venerable PSP rectifies this and restores access]
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2015 at 01:54 AM.