Thread: Original 3 Crash Bandicoot Games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original 3 Crash Bandicoot Games

So, I decided to pick these up again for the first time in 15 years so i thought I'd give my thoughts. First, anyone who thinks 32 bit graphics look like crap, these are my proof that the games can look good. Also, platformer camera angles from this angle can work. Wat makes it work in these is that altho its a 3D game the levels are very linear, very creative, all the levels r different and fun.

Playing the first one rite now, and I gotta mention that it is really, really hard. This is prolly up there with the Sonics on Genesis, and I don't remember them being this hard, I remember beating them back in the 90s. One thing that makes it so tough is that altho a lot of it is sidescrolling, its still in 3D, so if u move towards u on the screen, u can jump off the edge of the level, which is tough to keep in mind that it's got that extra dimension, since its a sidescrolling level. Also, the save feature is something u gotta unlock in order to make happen. I missed a few save spots and wound up getting sent back about 5 levels to a boss cuz I got game over. Which is frustrating cuz the levels are pretty long and knowing u hafta play all of those difficult levels again can drive u nuts. But its a great game, nothing feels unfair per say, except one stupid block u gotta hit that u gotta be in just the right spot. There is a lot of jumps and moments that requires absolute precision to pass. Which can be ridiculous.

Great games tho, I remember Cortex Strikes Back and Warped being easier, I'm sure u guys have played em, they're some of the best games on the Playstation, u cant go wrong with any of them, altho Warped may be the best. So yea. Crash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never really played any of them, was not one who wanted a PS1 until after it was basically dead. By the way I hope you don't write like that always. It looks like you've allowed texting to murder your ability to spell and use the right (rite?) word for the situation too. You(u) should really keep an eye on that as it's very hard to read.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I remember when these came out and there was a guy in a crash suit at our mall. I was used to mario and sonic as front line characters for their consoles. When I saw this guy waving everyone in I thought wow this is so nineties. Even then it was a bit much to see surfer meets rock n roll. But we did get the game so I guess the marketing was on point. "Buy this for your little ones. Its kid friendly".

Nonetheless I quickly glued myself to the tv to play my/our new game. I wont forget first seeing that spin attack. I thought this is gaming at its best. I was amazed at such great graphics and fast levels. I have all the crash bandicoot games up to the 360 title.

To anyone gettig into ps1 and has'nt played this. It is a must.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Crash 3 is without doubt the best platformer on the PS1 and even stands up favourably to Mario 64 and the Banjo games on the N64. The idea of having loads of little alternate-style missions like the jetski and the biplane is pure genius. So grateful they released the trilogy on PSN as I've got #3 loaded onto my PS3, PSP and Vita, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Crash 3 is without doubt the best platformer on the PS1 and even stands up favourably to Mario 64 and the Banjo games on the N64..

Bubsy 3D says Hi !

lol

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The first Crash Bandicoot is a really hard game and only allows you to save after a certain level is completed. If you can't make it through a whole segment without losing all your lives, you have to start a few levels back. That collapsing bridge level was really frustrating because of this.

The other two are much more well designed and nowhere nearly as frustrating.

The main thing I hate in these games are the forward scrolling levels. It makes it hard to see the obstacles in front of you.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Crash 3 is without doubt the best platformer on the PS1 and even stands up favourably to Mario 64 and the Banjo games on the N64. The idea of having loads of little alternate-style missions like the jetski and the biplane is pure genius. So grateful they released the trilogy on PSN as I've got #3 loaded onto my PS3, PSP and Vita, lol.
    I fully agree. It definately is the best of the 3, but they're really all great games, and all worth playing. Not too expensive either, a complete copy of each is like $15 or $20 each, which is a lot for a PS1 game, but these are great and you'll pour a lotta time into them. So to me, the extra $10 you spend on these pays off with the games being so great. I thought these were better than Spyro, Spyro is awesome too, but the Crash games are more challenging, and just work better. Spyro games back then still had camera issues at times. And, in comparison to other 2.5 D platformers like Tomba, it just works better, I think. Tomba can feel a little too limited at certain times, altho the games are great, while Crash really gives u the feeling of exploration in a sidescrolling format. I love Tomba and Spyro, but these are still #1 to a lot of people for good reason.

Plus, the sidescrolling levels really aren't exactly 2.5 D cuz u can still more forward and back in space. Which you can do in Tomba, but in Tomba you're more limited as to where you can go. All those titles are worth getting, though. Tomba games are a little expensive now, but they're very good, so you're paying for quality.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The first Crash Bandicoot is a really hard game and only allows you to save after a certain level is completed. If you can't make it through a whole segment without losing all your lives, you have to start a few levels back. That collapsing bridge level was really frustrating because of this.

The other two are much more well designed and nowhere nearly as frustrating.

The main thing I hate in these games are the forward scrolling levels. It makes it hard to see the obstacles in front of you.
    It really is hard! I'm in the middle of it now, I don't think I beat this one yet, and I don't recall the other two being this difficult. The level I hate the most is Road to Nowhere, where you're moving forward on a bridge that's half destroyed, and half the pieces collapse. Maybe that's the level you're speaking of. And the save feature makes it hard, too. I do find it funny that they give you an option to use a memory card or a password. My first reaction was, "what do you think I want to use?"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I remember when these came out and there was a guy in a crash suit at our mall. I was used to mario and sonic as front line characters for their consoles. When I saw this guy waving everyone in I thought wow this is so nineties. Even then it was a bit much to see surfer meets rock n roll. But we did get the game so I guess the marketing was on point. "Buy this for your little ones. Its kid friendly".

Nonetheless I quickly glued myself to the tv to play my/our new game. I wont forget first seeing that spin attack. I thought this is gaming at its best. I was amazed at such great graphics and fast levels. I have all the crash bandicoot games up to the 360 title.

To anyone gettig into ps1 and has'nt played this. It is a must.
    I really should get them all, they're cheap enough, and easy enough to find. I played the crap out of the PS1 games, and a little of the PS2 games but after that I kept hearing how the series got played out. I'm sure they're great, though. Even the kart games are really great. I remember playing CTR in the 90s and, after making the obvious corrolation to Mario Kart, I couldn't decide which of the two was the better game, cuz it was that good. Mario gets more attention now, cuz it's Mario, but Crash games are awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I keep running into a glitch that randomly freezes the game on the bonus stage right before it gives you the password. That said, the first is still my favorite of the series. I couldn't believe how beautiful the game was when it released. Those levels where you float on the lilypads... hnnngghhh!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    It really is hard! I'm in the middle of it now, I don't think I beat this one yet, and I don't recall the other two being this difficult. The level I hate the most is Road to Nowhere, where you're moving forward on a bridge that's half destroyed, and half the pieces collapse. Maybe that's the level you're speaking of. And the save feature makes it hard, too. I do find it funny that they give you an option to use a memory card or a password. My first reaction was, "what do you think I want to use?"
    That is the exact level I was talking about.

I also remember Pac-Man World being pretty hard in its last stages. I've only ever beaten it with Gameshark.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is the exact level I was talking about.

I also remember Pac-Man World being pretty hard in its last stages. I've only ever beaten it with Gameshark.
    Yea there's a cheat code I wrote in the manual when I was a kid that opens all 32 levels, I'm resisting the urge to use it and just beat this son of a bitch the real way. Or to just put it down and play one of the other two cuz they're much less frustrating. And, yes I really, really hate that bridge level. Its almost annoying that I hafta admit its a really great level, but i hate it cuz its so f-ing hard. Whats worse then the absolutely precise jumps it requires,you hafta avoid the pigs that charge you as well, and figure out the exact way to jump over the pig and land perfectly on the platform ahead of u at the same time. It's completely insane. Luckily I just passed that one so now I'm on to more pain in the Boulder Dash level. Which somehow they managed to make hard and frustrating, too. In Crash 2 and 3 the boulder levels aren't this challenging.

But the game is really awesome, you just wanna keep playing, its fantastically made and every death, well almost every death, feels like its your fault.
    Last edited by Arkanoid_Katamari; 10-17-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a bummer these aren't playable on the Vita. They're a good reason to hang on to PSP/PS3.