Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I find annoying about the retro gaming scene - Anyone else feel this way?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Something I find annoying about the retro gaming scene - Anyone else feel this way?

This is something I've been noticing for awhile, but it seems like most discussion of "retro gaming" ultimately comes down to everyone endlessly talking about the same big hits that we all already know already.

Rinry (a female reviewer I enjoyed watching--wow that sounded wrong) had a crossover with some dude where they took a side on the 16-Bit war and talked about what they considered the three best games on each platform. Rinry disappointed me by going the boring route: all three of her choices were first-party Nintendo games. The other dude (I forget his name) surprised me by mentioning Comix Zone, but then his other two choices were rather typical, and yes, one of them was Sonic.

For another example, I was glancing at the topic about magazines and saw the Retro-Gaming Magazine (as in magazine *about* Retro) and... the cover story was "We're gonna talk about how f***ing awesome Doom was!"

Yeah, look, I get it, these games are classics.

But seriously.

Retro Gaming becomes totally boring when "the classics" are all anyone ever talks about.

To quote Gggmanlives: "Did you really watch this video just to see another person sing the praises of Half-life? Didn't think so."

By the same token, I don't watch retro gaming videos or join retro gaming groups just to circlejerk about Mario and Sonic all day.

If I talk about the Genesis, I want to see if other people have played the anime game with blue-haired She-Ra, or that RPG that spanned three generations, or that platformer about the possum with the jet pack, or that action-RPG where the plot was driven by you only being able to talk to animals, or that other action-RPG that used a tilted perspective and had a healing drug called "EkeEke" (is that pronounced "Eek Eek" or "Eh-kay Eh-kay"?), or maybe the times we got console-exclusives based on pen-n-paper that didn't suck. And I used descriptions instead of titles because I want to see how many of you are real fans and actually know what games these are.

And when I don't want to share my own memories, I want to hear about the games I never played, but may have heard of and/or be curious about. I'm sure somebody asked for Sonic one Christmas and instead got Saint Sword (maybe your parents assumed it was a religious game) and so how did that turn out? Or "hey was that James Bond sidescroller any good?" Or for that matter, I keep seeing this series about a superspy who happens to also be a fish, what's the deal with those?

It's not that I hate the first-party franchises. It's just that talking about the same thing all the time gets very dull, very quick. Besides, I honestly don't see the "big names" as being console-defining (except maybe Sonic because of how hard Sega pushed him) since a console is defined by its whole, not the sum of its parts. If the Genesis really only had Sonic and nothing else, it truly would be a worthless system. Likewise if the SNES only had Mario and Zelda and nothing else, it would be no better than the Gamecube.

So does anyone else get annoyed with this "all we ever talk about is the games you already know about" aspect of the retro scene or am I the only one who has even noticed it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be fair though, DOOM was pretty f***ing awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, it's probably more of a case of people just feeling like if they talk about the most popular, classic games, then more people will chime in with their 2 cents, because they will know a little something about the topic.

For example, if you make a thread about some obscure Genesis game that virtually nobody played, and then you only get one response to your thread, you really can't be disappointed, because there is a limited audience that experienced that and is going to make a comment about it.

I know it sucks in a way, because you're probably more interested in hearing about hidden gems in a systems catalog, but that's what the specialty forums are for. You can go to forums that only discuss TG-16 and there you'll find somebody discussing a little known TG-16 release. Or go to a Sega only forum to discuss some obscure Genesis game. Usually there, people will know what you're talking about, and they will join in on the discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the problem stems from what was available for certain people. As kids for many we didn't have any money so its not like we could chance to pick on a game we weren't exactly sure of. The only time I got games were my birthday, christmas, when I finished school for the year and when I saved my allowance which was maybe twice a year or so. So I definitely got the sure hits. The only time I got games that were not hugely popular is when I stumbled upon it by renting or I just took a chance with it. Captain Skyhawk is a favorite of mine. Also Al Unser Jrs Turbo Racing. Both these were cheap so I was desperate to get a new game.

Also Im not sure magazines were giving exposure to these games so its hard for kids to pick the less titles. Now with the internet its easier to find out these titles that didnt make a lot of sales but are still good nonetheless. Yeah if you go to these lists your going to hear the same old most likely. It gets dull after awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    or that RPG that spanned three generations,
    The internet has deemed Phantasy Star III to be not cool. So say we all.

I guess.

Personally, I thought it was pretty decent, just very different from PS I & II.

To engage the entire topic, some of us have been around the online gaming/retrogaming scene long enough to have pretty much seen it all.

Yes, it gets pretty damn old.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 10-17-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree.

Valis, Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom, Sparkster / Rocket Knight Adventures, .... sounds very familiar but can't quite remember, and Landstalker.

All great games by the way.

If I talk about the Genesis, I want to see if other people have played the anime game with blue-haired She-Ra, or that RPG that spanned three generations, or that platformer about the possum with the jet pack, or that action-RPG where the plot was driven by you only being able to talk to animals, or that other action-RPG that used a tilted perspective and had a healing drug called "EkeEke" (is that pronounced "Eek Eek" or "Eh-kay Eh-kay"?), or maybe the times we got console-exclusives based on pen-n-paper that didn't suck. And I used descriptions instead of titles because I want to see how many of you are real fans and actually know what games these are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I totally agree.

Valis, Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom, Sparkster / Rocket Knight Adventures, .... sounds very familiar but can't quite remember, and Landstalker.

All great games by the way.
    Well, here's some extra hints to help you figure out that one:

You could equip animal buddies.

One combination allowed your sword to bounce off walls.

Sonic made a cameo appearance.

And by this point I've practically given away what game it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    I think the problem stems from what was available for certain people.
    That might be the case, but personally I think that almost makes it weirder.

Just for a personal example, I actually didn't play any Castlevania or Contra games until the dawn of emulation, and didn't get to play Zelda: A Link to the Past until near the end of the SNES' life-span. A lot of this was due to how I acquired games--usually we'd go to a local rental and rent whatever they had on hand (which the selection could be kind of random) and then I would want to buy the ones I really liked. This was how I wound up with Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Mana before Zelda (the rental I went to never had Zelda) and how I discovered the top-view shooter where a Shinto priestess and a raccoon die a lot. Other times (moreso in the NES days) I would just get random gifts from my parents because I was too young to really make up my own mind. Wound up getting a kinda eclectic library that way--like, seriously, Destination Earthstar is one of those games I doubt anybody would ask to own but is still worth playing at least once. And it was only recently that I discovered it had side-scrolling stages.

So it kinda makes me wonder about kids who apparently only ever played the games that wound up becoming hits. How did THAT happen?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Well, here's some extra hints to help you figure out that one:

You could equip animal buddies.

One combination allowed your sword to bounce off walls.

Sonic made a cameo appearance.

And by this point I've practically given away what game it is.
    It's Crusader of Centy for anyone still wondering about this one. Still hoping to find a copy for myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OH OK.. no wonder I couldn't figure that one out. That is the only game on that list that I never actually owned short of playing it some on Sega Channel and maybe a little bit through emulation. Heard it was good though. That damn game is getting expensive too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah I find myself wishing I had bought it back when it was only $40...

Speaking of Centy, that game led me to my first negative experience with Nintendo fanboys. Basically, from the time of its release, Centy was heavily derided (even by some contemporary magazines) as being "so much of a Zelda rip-off you might as well call it 'Legend of Melda'." What always pissed me off was that this description is basically, wrong on every level. But confront a Nintendo fan with that, and they'll defend that assertion (and even parrot that exact description), and justify it with trivial stuff like "its top view, you're a kid with a sword who kinda-sorta (but not really) looks like Link..." keep pressing them and they'll try to say that the animal companions are just a variation on Zelda's "find a new item in each dungeon" pattern, which is valid up to a point but ignores that Centy doesn't have an eight-dungeons pattern (it's far more story-driven), most of the animal companions aren't found in dungeons and mechanically they function nothing like Zelda's boomerangs, hookshots or what-have-you. Some fanboys who are determined to make Zelda the be-all end-all will go to ridiculous lengths.

It probably didn't help that I already thought Zelda was kind of overrated anyway (I did a blog article about that. I can throw up a link if you're interested) but experiences like this just go to show how biased the world is in Nintendo's favor. I almost could make that a rant in and of itself--seriously, most video game videos on the web are extremely Nintendo-centric. James Rolfe is a Nintendo fanboy, Game Theory is a Nintendo fanboy, Gaming Historian claims to have originally been a Sega fan but at some point morphed into a Nintendo fanboy, and so on, and so forth. That's probably why so many people these days think Sega has always been shit, unaware that there was a time when Sega was actually glorious.

(and yeah, I think I just revealed what side of the 16-bit wars I come down on)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please open up several new "Hidden Gems on xxx system" threads, then! I'll read them.

For starters: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gbgems.html
    and
    http://www.chrismcovell.com/texts/TopPCEMusic.html
    and
    http://www.chrismcovell.com/OneStation/index.html
    and
    http://www.chrismcovell.com/games_il...d_spirits.html
    and
    http://www.chrismcovell.com/games_il..._densetsu.html
    and
    http://www.chrismcovell.com/JBTribute/about.html

I don't really mean to link-dump, but these are all slightly obscure games and/or topics, good to get the juices flowing.

That was originally Hardcore Gaming 101's raison d'etre as well...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried talking about Eliminator Boat Duel oh sorry, ElimOnator boat duel, and some other lesser-known NES games, but no one ever cares. So I make threads about Crash Bandicoot and I get 10 replies lol.

Lets try this again. Has anyone ever played Xexyz?? It's awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I actually have, but I can't say I recall a whole hell of a lot. The adventure and genre changing elements kind of put me off.

Also, I was under the impression that Shadowrun got referenced in that first post.

If you want a game where the protagonist moves crazy fast through some loops, that isn't Sonic, play as the Road Runner during Desert Demolition. You won't notice in the first stage, which just doesn't work for his faster speed, but from the 2nd stage onward...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's almost as annoying as ambiguous clickbait thread titles.

One of the reasons I like HG101 so much is that they're constantly putting up articles about obscure old stuff.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree it's a problem, but it's also as much a problem of being noticed. Not just the other games being noticed, but the reviewer wanting to be noticed after wasting all the time doing what they've done. You'll catch a lot more people talking up the top10% of video games instead of the other 90% of obscure stuff which ranged from as excellent to a lot of turds. Make a video or review about something like Mario/Sonic, or make one about Sunset Riders or a Rock n Roll Racing game on either 16bit platform, which one do you think will get the most notice? That's the problem really, playing it safe gets you noticed and your review capabilities, the others do not. YOu could do them in time once one is established, but if you're just going to be the niche guy, most people will never notice you doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh, for fuck's sake, can we not throw around the term "hidden gem" here too? So sick of seeing it.

"YOU'VE ALL PLAYED SUPER MARIO GALAXY, BUT HAVE YOU PLAYED THIS HIDDEN GEM?!?

"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Oh, for fuck's sake, can we not throw around the term "hidden gem"
    It's an appropriate word when it fits. Ya wanna use the '90s term "sleeper" instead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was how I wound up with Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Mana before Zelda (the rental I went to never had Zelda) and how I discovered the top-view shooter where a Shinto priestess and a raccoon die a lot.
    Thats Pocky and Rocky I believe. I got it and its pretty difficult

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, the needless crutch that is describing everything non-Mario as a fucking hidden gem is pathetic.

Brutal Legend is a hidden gem? Gee, I thought it got tons of press coverage, magazine covers, and attention when it was released. Silly me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah that has to be Pocky & Rocky (1 or 2) and it's a great on foot shooter. I haven't played it in quite awhile and I'm tempted to actually just let it go lately but I doubt I'll pull the trigger on that one. I think it deserves the sleeper/hidden gem tag, at least for the period as now people have taken the greed aspect to both of those games on SNES and rammed the price through the roof in the last couple of years. Sometimes the sleeper term fits the period it came out and not now all because of how things have changed which is sad.