Thread: Pretentious indie games- worst of the worst?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Pretentious indie games- worst of the worst?

Come on, we all know about these. Games that are bad even if you put aside their creators and hatedoms. I still think the biggest gaming-related mistake I have ever made was buying Gone Home.

Most immature, pretentious, unfun, preachy, anti-game "game" with a script that would be laughed out of any writer's room even in Hollywood that I have possibly played. Its winning of awards just proved that gaming "journalism" is a joke and that people are desperate for their hobby to be art in the same way that movies are.

And I swear, half of these games are "retro" simply because these developers don't want to try to make something in 3D. Fez is another example of one of these indie games that I couldn't stand.

Is the industry really becoming nothing but Molyneux-esque hodgepodges of "games" that are just a glorified visual novel or Mountain Dewrito fueled AAA brown shooters? You either deal with egotists telling you that you're a shitty person or faceless corporations getting away with always-online or on-disc DLC. Every once in a while a game comes out that actually is worth the full price, but most of the time I'd rather wait until a price drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're probably onto something, and good job calling out Fez. I got that one free with PS+ and man I'd have been pissed if I paid the $10 or whatever it went for when it was new. At first it seems ok, but as you go more than 30min or so into it, it's just very disjointed, the map is a hot mess, and it just gets fairly boring exploring it yet people spooge all over its greatness and I just don't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're probably onto something, and good job calling out Fez. I got that one free with PS+ and man I'd have been pissed if I paid the $10 or whatever it went for when it was new. At first it seems ok, but as you go more than 30min or so into it, it's just very disjointed, the map is a hot mess, and it just gets fairly boring exploring it yet people spooge all over its greatness and I just don't see it.
    "Suck my dick and choke on it"- Phil Fish, creator of Fez

Nothing of value was lost by its sequel being canceled. All of these one-hit wonders suddenly acting like they can tell their customers what they want is disgusting.

If nothing in actuality comes from all of this industry BS currently going on, and gaming five years from now is nothing but those two extremes I mentioned, we can't say we didn't try and say we wanted something different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is super pretentious. Stick your nose up higher.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    This thread is super pretentious. Stick your nose up higher.
    You just don't get what I'm trying to do with it. I don't want you reading my thread, you shitlord misogynistic manchild. Check your privilege, you neckbearded fedora wearer.

(Joking in case you can't tell)
    Last edited by Tupin; 10-18-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The difference between indie and homebrew. Slapping together a game and charging money for it when it's the same quality as other games released for free. Besides a few exceptions, most indie games feel this way.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can understand your complaints. My most hated are the so-called 'art games' and 'politi-games'. People will use subjectivism to tell you that you can't claim games are not art or deserve to be taken seriously. Considering the mechanics of games have been used in therapeutic scientific simulations, there is some truth to it having some merit outside of entertainment. However, in terms of games as a competitive avenue, I do not care for story-driven cinematic stuff. I don't mind pulp-level stories at all, but I don't play the games for that specifically. I generally avoid the cut scene-fueled games of today. I also don't care for the surrealist/dada or postmodern aesthetic which is overused by art elitists. It cheats by not trying in any regard to establish an objective or interpretable meaning and could send the observer on a wild goose chase, looking for some kind of message behind it when it could just as easily been random garbage thrown together. This is often observed in the very pretentious so-called 'literary fiction' genre. I used to dabble in that kind of writing years ago but quit when I realized how tedious it was. Obscure trash like Tenderenda the Fantast and The Eater of Darkness were dropped once I got around to reading Animal Farm. Because of the hipster culture, the ideologies of these works are infiltrating indie games. I have no control over it or ability to predict how it could influence someone in a positive way. I simply choose not to play them and move on.