Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are aftermarket 72 pin connectors for the NES rubbish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well depending on the crap shoot that is the top loader, you got very noticeable 'jail bars' which is a big annoyance on certain colors/black backgrounds. If you got one where it didn't generate it, or it was so minimal you had to have a TV that exposed it or really hunt for it that was a plus. The top loader if you weren't in jail was a never fail system because it lacked the asinine 10NES chip so games worked or there was something up with your game. Also, no 10NES meant PAL games would run (well like 90% of the unique titles or so.) Preference, the controller is a hell of a lot more comfy, many hands will complain of having a jabby corner digging into a joint as you hold it. That's about it really, and if you loathed the lack of RCA plugs without modification (internal, or using like a radio jack coax to rca box) it was the better system to have.

The old one which is nostalgic and great has that lame lockout chip and that shitty zero insertion force lock on it which jacks up the pins over time making it increasingly more bitchy about loading even the cleanest of games. For years I had to (pre-internet here) consistently clean the games, clean the deck (nes cleaning kit), or push the game in and down, the slide it around a 1/16th of an inch to the left, right, forward, back, some diagonal to get a game going.

As far as any hardware system on a chip clone goes, I'm with you, they suck ass. They all use the same recycled flaky crap flawed setup that puts up a different palette, audio isn't right by a little or a lot by the game (or it's ok), some games just won't work at all (famously MMC5 stuff), usually really badly built and the game pads just suck. The only one worth a crap, and that's still preference is a fully upgraded app/firmware Retron 5 because it'll run anything legal thrown at it really and with the HDMI capabilities for a modern TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So here is what I play on. Toaster w/ the 10 pin disabled and a dog bone controller. Love the dog bone so much more than the original controller. I have and NES Advantage which I play with from time to time, and I'm about to do that joystick mod to my NES Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also have 3 CRT TV's. Never plan on playing on a flat screen.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    Also have 3 CRT TV's. Never plan on playing on a flat screen.
    I agree with this. Unless I'm forced to in the future because all CRTs are dead I'll never play NES on a HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's why I stocked up on CTRs. Play one, have two extras. Thinking about picking up a fourth just in case. Some people don't believe me, but I think CTR's will be a scarcity at least 15 years from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm done with CRTs, they have zero value other than light gun games and I can do without. I'm currently trying to sell of that sharp nes tv of mine as I don't use it and don't care for the visual quality of a CRT anymore either. CRTs probably will be a scarcity. I know that I'm seeing them fewer and farther between at flea markets and thrift shops, they're just drying up. Maybe some component is failing, or maybe those screens have a usage limit a lot are finally hitting, or they're just going to the dump when people upgrade instead of selling/donating them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    or they're just going to the dump when people upgrade instead of selling/donating them.
    This. My question is how do you get a Toaster to look good on a flat screen?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

or they're just going to the dump when people upgrade instead of selling/donating them.
    A lot of thrift stores don't bother selling them anymore, they just send them to be recycled rather than take up floor space. At least this is what I was previously told by some thrift stores. Now I do see the odd CRT actually being sold in some stores but it's not all the time, it depends on the size and the brand. They won't bother selling big sets unless it's high quality like a Sony or Toshiba(unless they're lacking donations and have a bunch of free space to fill).

What's really great is if you can find a multisystem TV as those can accept both NTSC and PAL inputs. I like Duck Hunt and Lethal Enforcers too much to give them up, same with using the Super Scope and the Menacer occasionally. Plus I still look for OOP VHS tapes that aren't available in other formats and these just don't look good on a high def TV.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I want to vent a little about the NES top loader. Unless you have some nostalgic attachment to it, why would you own one. Is it seriously that much better than a toaster. I grew up with a toaster, I'll stick with the toaster, and never have problems with mine. I just don't understand why people abandon what they grew up on and go to the top loader; or worse by these Retron things. Never understood not playing on original hardware.

Rant done.
    The reason I use a Retron system is because almost all the 72 pin connectors I've used to replace inside my childhood NES have been crap, and every other toaster NES I ever see for sale has the pin connector replaced, and it got to the point where I almost wanted to buy a sealed NES just so the madness would end. Trust me, I'd much prefer to use a toaster, I grew up on it and I love that thing, and if I could find one that actually functions well I would. I use the Retron 2 cuz it works. Thats all.

I'm with u 100% on the CRT tvs, tho. The only reason I even got a flatscreen was cuz Sony designed the PS4 to only work in HDMI. And I got a 20" off my buddy cuz I don't wanna spend a fortune on a TV I only need to play one game system.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes I wonder wat it would be like if Nintendo actually re-released the NES, manufactured a ton and rereleased them just as they were in '85. The retron systems sell, why wouldn't new NES's made by Nintendo? I would absolutely buy one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This. My question is how do you get a Toaster to look good on a flat screen?
    Two words: Framemeister and NESRGB.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Nice collection. Heres my crap.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl#stats

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

The crt argument...
    3d games, as in old school active shutter 3d glasses for the famicom or master system. They won't work on an lcd (possibly plasma though)

As for fixing the connector in the nes I've never had bad replacements but I have had to replace many originals. Slays disable the 10 chip, and bend those pins so far top and bottom that you don't have to push the game down to get it to work. That's how I dos it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why are there aftermarket 72 pin connectors in the first place? The market of people hoping to restore old NES consoles must be so infinitesimally small that it can't possibly be worth making them for that purpose alone. Do they still have some other particular use? (And do those other people that use them have some less well-known, better solution?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Why are there aftermarket 72 pin connectors in the first place? The market of people hoping to restore old NES consoles must be so infinitesimally small that it can't possibly be worth making them for that purpose alone.
    This is what I've always wondered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    The reason I use a Retron system is because almost all the 72 pin connectors I've used to replace inside my childhood NES have been crap, and every other toaster NES I ever see for sale has the pin connector replaced, and it got to the point where I almost wanted to buy a sealed NES just so the madness would end. Trust me, I'd much prefer to use a toaster, I grew up on it and I love that thing, and if I could find one that actually functions well I would. I use the Retron 2 cuz it works. Thats all.

I'm with u 100% on the CRT tvs, tho. The only reason I even got a flatscreen was cuz Sony designed the PS4 to only work in HDMI. And I got a 20" off my buddy cuz I don't wanna spend a fortune on a TV I only need to play one game system.
    Every clone system I've used was always slightly off visually and sonically from the old Toaster.
    You're doing something wrong if you can't get a Toaster to work. I've got 4 of them here that when they came to me needed to be cleaned up and have the pin connectors boiled. They now work as well as my Top Loader. Don't give up on trying to fix your Toaster. I bet even at its age, if fixed its higher quality and will last longer than any clone on the market today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post

$$$. I have a full time job, no kids, or wife and even with my disposable income I have trouble spending that sort of money when I have 2 working CRTs and still see them for a quarter of the cost of the Framemeister alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm done with CRTs, they have zero value other than light gun games and I can do without. I'm currently trying to sell of that sharp nes tv of mine as I don't use it and don't care for the visual quality of a CRT anymore either. CRTs probably will be a scarcity. I know that I'm seeing them fewer and farther between at flea markets and thrift shops, they're just drying up. Maybe some component is failing, or maybe those screens have a usage limit a lot are finally hitting, or they're just going to the dump when people upgrade instead of selling/donating them.
    There are still pages upon pages of them available on Craigslist. My girlfriend and I have been looking at houses and ever old dead persons house we've been shown has at least 2 CRTs. To say stock is drying up is a bit extreme. Maybe in 10 years? But right now? Nah.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Or just clean the original connectors. I avoid consoles with replaced connectors.
    I really wish I had known that the originals could be refurbed before I sank 60-ish dollars into a beat-up NES with a new 72-pin. This was back in 2002, so maybe they were a little better then? It's works fine, but grabs the carts. And, as a result, its cheap-ass plastic housing cracks where it is screwed into the motherboard.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Bought two connectors from this guy and they work great. No death grip either.