Thread: Retrobit 3-in-1 RetroAC SNES/NES/Gen AC adapters... pure garbage?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default Retrobit 3-in-1 RetroAC SNES/NES/Gen AC adapters... pure garbage?

I decided to clean the closet of a few loose SNES systems I had picked up over the years. Most were picked up missing AC or AV cables so I bought a lot of cheap no-name AV cords from eBay, along with a lot of 10 Retrobit brand AC adapters. The AC adapters are the 2-in-1's, 9v 850mAh with 2 tips to either fit a SNES or a model 1 Genesis.

I finally went through all my OEM AC adapters and started using the Retrobit ones. Well, tried to start using them anyway. Although I've not went through all ten the five or so I've tried were pure rubbish. They were tested on multiple SNES systems and all ended up with bands of horizontal interference on the TV that slowly crawl down vertically then repeat. At first I thought maybe I had some major interference going on with the outlet I was using so I tried it on a different TV in a different room that's on a completely difference circuit breaker and it still acted the same.

These were all brand new, still sealed in the retail package. Surely I'm not the only person that's ran into this problem. Has anyone else had any experience with these things? Is there something that can be repaired/replaced on them to remove this interference? I haven't tried them on a Genesis yet but I figure the results would be the same.
    Last edited by Az; 10-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Odds are trying to get a lot of oem adapters is going to be a better solution. I've never used them but I have used aftermarket adapters before and never had a problem.

I take it you tired an oem adapter on a system that has interference with the aftermarket adapters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are total garbage. Notice how lightweight they are? The transformers inside are miniscule and the filter caps are dinky. First time I held one I assumed they were switch-type supplies based on how light they were.

They might work slightly better on SHVC SNES systems which have a redundant input filter cap but I still wouldn't use them.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I dug out some model 1 systems to try with these and got the same results, horizontal lines of interference that slowly crawl from top to bottom.

What an absolute crock of shit. I bought 10 of these things in a lot, all brand new, and all are complete paperweights. Other than cutting the tips of them off they're pure garbage. Unfortunately I bought these months and months ago so I have no way to return them.

Retrobit go fuck yourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Default Retrobit 3-in-1 RetroAC SNES/NES/Gen AC adapters... pure garbage?

I have one that I bought to use with my SNES after the OEM power supply crapped out after minimal use. Mine says Super Retro on it. It has 2 tips and is also for the NES, SNES, and model 1 Genesis. I'm not sure if it's by Retrobit, but I've had no problem with it, at least with the SNES.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

How many a.c. adapters do you need?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

So I got on eBay again to check around and see what all brands of these were available. I ended up buying another lot of 12 for $40 USD shipped, which were from a different manufacturer and not Retrobit. They were the same thing; 9v with 2 tips for Gen/NES & SNES, only they were a no-name brand packaged in a white and yellow box.

Guess what? Same exact freakin' issue. That brings a running total of $80 I've spent on these POS replacement adapters and not a single one of them can be used.

Hardware-wise is there anything that can be replaced or added to these to reduce this interference?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My personal experience with "retro replacements" is: DON'T!

Get a good power supply - e.g. for a notebook or netbook - which delivers the correct voltage and just solder the proper plug on to it. E.g. the one for the Asus EEE PC700/PC701 (9.5V/2.3A) . Power plugs are (mostly) standardised and still readily available, so no problem there.

Since most consoles of the 80s and early 90s use the same voltage (9-12V), the ORIGINAL power supply for the Sony PS One/PS2 Slim is a great candidate btw! Especially since its power plug is identical to the one for the Sega Genesis Model 2 and Sega CD Model 2 - and the latter Game Gear-revision.
    Pinballing since 1977, video gaming since 1978, console gaming since 1979, computer gaming since 1981. Growing old? Never!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

Like everyone else has already said, these 3-in-1 adapters are utter trash. Vintage Stock carried the generic "yellow and white box" model while I worked there. We sold hundreds of the damn things and the return rate easily exceeded 50%, many of them literally DOA. The reason Vintage Stock (and, I assume, other retailers) continue to stock them is because their wholesale price is roughly $1 and people who don't know any better are willing to part with $8 apiece for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would honestly advise hitting thrift shops to find something with the right specs and soldering on appropriate tips if you can do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just find and order original AC Adapters if possible. I'd rather have a 20 year old used original AC Adapter than a new aftermarket one. Most adapters for the SNES and Genesis, etc etc are easy to come by.