Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Many video games have had sequels either for the same console or for later consoles, but the sequels don't always turn out to be better games even if they have better graphics and/or sound. For instance, SNES Super Play Action Football has the 16-bit graphics, but I prefer the NES Play Action Football because it has better gameplay (passing and controls are easier makes it better even though it moves along at a snail's pace), presentation (NFL Players Association license, less blank screen time, less annoying cut scenes...), and even the sound is better in some regards. I also think the NES Super Tecmo Bowl compares favorably to its 16-bit sequels.

What other games were the best of their franchise even if they didn't necessarily have the best graphics or sound?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Lunar eternal blue.
    Not as good as the story in silver star and supposedly not nearly as long either. I don't know because I never finished eternal blue

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Lunar eternal blue.
    Not as good as the story in silver star and supposedly not nearly as long either. I don't know because I never finished eternal blue
    The level of good depends heavily on how into the story of the first game you were. I remember loving the hell out of it when it was new, but finding that is didn't shine as bright as the first game years later. Silver Star Story is factually longer, but Eternal Blue feels longer due to how the game is paced.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Meh it's good, not chrono trigger good but still....

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

In my opinion, the first Contra is better than any contra game that came after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Why? Do you think it has the best gameplay or story line, or is it something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Donkey Kong is one that comes to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with you play action football views

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Monkey Ball. Everything since has had some combination of overcooked level designs, awful control, or watered-down difficulty. Surprisingly, the one for Vita comes closest to the original, but it still falls a bit short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Valkyria Chronicles.

The PS3 game is amazing, system seller material.

Then Sega made a sequel on the PSP. Nevermind the drop in hardware capabilities, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is a mere echo of everything that made the first one so excellent. The characters are far less interesting, the gameplay more simplified, unnecessary, additional unit classes tacked on, and the story far, far worse.

Sega did eventually fix nearly everything with the third Valkyria Chronicles, but the damage Valkyria Chronicles 2 caused couldn't be undone and the vastly superior third game was never localized as a result.

I love both Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 3, but 2 was such a misstep that it doomed the series.

I have hope there will be a Valkyria Chronicles release on Vita or PS4 someday, but it'll be an uphill battle from the damage VC2 caused.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    I agree with you play action football views
    Thank you. I'm not even sure the SNES version was play-tested. 1. throw pass, 2. consult on-screen diagram in futile attempt to verify that yellow dot (ball) is moving toward red dot and that red dot is in front of black dot for catch, 3. watch the ball sail into computer player's arms with only a second to react, 4. interception often leads to touchdown since the computer player runs faster.

The only sure way to score is to block punt attempts and run them into your end zone. Grinding out a dozen running plays is another possibility, but you have to replace your fatigued running backs every other play. The NES version has its annoyances too, such as the wimpy quarterbacks have to be replaced after two plays, but is overall better.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Interesting pick. GameFAQs agreed with you in their review of Super C. GameFAQs said, "The experience is very similar to the original Contra, but there is a bit more style-over-substance to it. It's better than Contra III for the SNES, but it doesn't quite match the flawless design of the original game."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563463-s.../review-136987
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 10-22-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Vandal-Hearts. Having a better story in general is a plus. Also the fact you don't have that annoying aspect of enemies moving while you move so you don't keep missing your attacks completely like in Vandal-Hearts II. And Flames of Judgment while it plays nice and is a good entry into the last generation, it is not long enough and less interesting because you only get half as many characters to get to know.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Interesting pick. GameFAQs agreed with you in their review of Super C. GameFAQs said, "The experience is very similar to the original Contra, but there is a bit more style-over-substance to it. It's better than Contra III for the SNES, but it doesn't quite match the flawless design of the original game."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563463-s.../review-136987
    I'm a bit partial to SuperC myself, but I love them both. Contra III doesn't really do much for me.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I personally loved Contra 3 Alien Wars. But the game I thought was better than it's sequel is, Kid Icarus for the NES. I believe both sequels for the gameboy and 3ds where only there to push the hardware.

Yeah I liked the 3ds game with all the new features, but it will never be as good as the NES original. And the gameboy title was ok but it was really just a shell of the NES game. Fun but not a whole hearted sequel.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wanted to get ahold of Valkyria Chronicles. I'm both a huge SRPG fan and a huge Skies of Arcadia fan

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Generally speaking, if the dev team learned from the first game, the second game will be at least as good if not better. You can see this in, say, Final Fantasy 13, where each game has been better than the last mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Meh it's good, not chrono trigger good but still....
    I feel that one of it's strongest points is not being anything like that crapburger Chrono Trigger, but, as the internet kids say, your mileage may vary.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    Why? Do you think it has the best gameplay or story line, or is it something else?
    The main reason I think the first Contra game is the best is because of the music and sound effects. The music is awesome, its fast paced and is totally badass. The music in the second contra is just not as good.
    The graphics are awesome also. I think the sprites and backgrounds (in the first game) look alot cooler than in the second game. It has always puzzled me why the original Famicom version has animated backgrounds but the ntsc version of contra does not. In the first stage the palm trees move and in the snow field there is snow falling. Like why was this removed?

Also the top-down sections in the second game and contra III I find kinda boring. This is the main reason I dont play Super C more often because I hate the 2nd stage, i dont find it difficult just really boring.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

There are some games where the sequel is bad mainly because, they put in all the stuff they couldnt fit in the first game. It's as if they said "no thats too much" or "this doesnt matxh the whole game style". So when they come up with lets say 30 ideas, then they realize simple is better. Then they release the game. And when/if the time comes to make the sequel they say "hey look at all these old notes, lets put all this in it. And you end up with a concept off of another concept.

The game that comes into mind mainly is extreme g for the n64. Why they ruined that game I dont know. It was great until the sequel happened. It became too fast, collision walls where a joke, the tracks got way out of hand and it just made track memorization a priority over having fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

The main reason I think the first Contra game is the best is because of the music and sound effects. The music is awesome, its fast paced and is totally badass. The music in the second contra is just not as good.
    The graphics are awesome also. I think the sprites and backgrounds (in the first game) look alot cooler than in the second game. It has always puzzled me why the original Famicom version has animated backgrounds but the ntsc version of contra does not. In the first stage the palm trees move and in the snow field there is snow falling. Like why was this removed?
    Simply put the famicom contra uses the VRC2 chip while the nes version does not.