Thread: Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Many video games have had sequels either for the same console or for later consoles, but the sequels don't always turn out to be better games even if they have better graphics and/or sound. For instance, SNES Super Play Action Football has the 16-bit graphics, but I prefer the NES Play Action Football because it has better gameplay (passing and controls are easier makes it better even though it moves along at a snail's pace), presentation (NFL Players Association license, less blank screen time, less annoying cut scenes...), and even the sound is better in some regards. I also think the NES Super Tecmo Bowl compares favorably to its 16-bit sequels.

What other games were the best of their franchise even if they didn't necessarily have the best graphics or sound?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Lunar eternal blue.
    Not as good as the story in silver star and supposedly not nearly as long either. I don't know because I never finished eternal blue

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Lunar eternal blue.
    Not as good as the story in silver star and supposedly not nearly as long either. I don't know because I never finished eternal blue
    The level of good depends heavily on how into the story of the first game you were. I remember loving the hell out of it when it was new, but finding that is didn't shine as bright as the first game years later. Silver Star Story is factually longer, but Eternal Blue feels longer due to how the game is paced.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Meh it's good, not chrono trigger good but still....

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

In my opinion, the first Contra is better than any contra game that came after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Why? Do you think it has the best gameplay or story line, or is it something else?

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Interesting pick. GameFAQs agreed with you in their review of Super C. GameFAQs said, "The experience is very similar to the original Contra, but there is a bit more style-over-substance to it. It's better than Contra III for the SNES, but it doesn't quite match the flawless design of the original game."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563463-s.../review-136987
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 10-22-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Generally speaking, if the dev team learned from the first game, the second game will be at least as good if not better. You can see this in, say, Final Fantasy 13, where each game has been better than the last mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Meh it's good, not chrono trigger good but still....
    I feel that one of it's strongest points is not being anything like that crapburger Chrono Trigger, but, as the internet kids say, your mileage may vary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The question should be reversed. Most of the time the original is best. But not as much as movies, where the original is better 90 percent of the time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    But not as much as movies, where the original is better 90 percent of the time.
    Not sure I agree with that, just thinking off the top of my head loads of movies have better sequels.
    Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part II etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreOtaku View Post
    Not sure I agree with that, just thinking off the top of my head loads of movies have better sequels.
    Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part II etc..
    The last three I agree with. But you just named the only ones. Three movies in 100+ years of Hollywood certainly proves my point.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Honestly the problem with two out of those four sequels dude named is that they can't really be taken as stand-alone, so its really not possible to say they're "better." You might as well call Two Towers better than Fellowship of the Ring--it doesn't float, because you don't understand one unless you've seen the other.

With Aliens or Terminator 2 they're fairly stand-alone, but I personally always thought Terminator 2 was kind of overrated. The action isn't that great and I could never get over the whiny-ass anti-intellectual philosophy. Seriously seeing two kids playing cops and robbers leads to a lecture about how mankind is inherently self destructive, grow the f*** up James Cameron.

Okay, back to video games.

Mega Man X > X2 or X3. This was kind of a hard call as they're all really good games, but back when I owned the whole trilogy I used to always come back to the first one the most. It just somehow feels special in a way the future installments don't. I wish I hadn't sold the latter two all the same, but oh well.

X4 tho is almost X1's equal, but then X5 and X6... suck. I never played X7 or X8.

Street Fighter II (and all its updates) > later Street Fighter games. This isn't objective on my part, just somehow I always found the later ones didn't "feel" right and had taken the characters and mythos in pretty uninteresting directions. I also personally think we didn't really need for Street Fighter and Final Fight to be in the same universe, even if it did make for one of the better episodes of the animated series. Besides, they really need to bring back Kevin Striker. (On a minor note I just personally don't care for the art stylings of the later games. Give me the SFII character sprites over the Alpha ones, or especially over the SF4 ones. Especially M.Bison. I never liked how he became so bulky, when originally he was kinda lean. I'm referring to the Dictator, not the boxer).

Oh and of course:

The SNES era Final Fantasy games > everything after, including FF7. The Playstation was the point where Square became pretentious and wanted to make movies instead of games. Yeah Final Fantasy VI had its silly or pretentious elements but it also had a sense of fun, and some seriously cool setpieces.

Also to the guy who hated Chrono Trigger--you're wrong, your friends are wrong, your f***ing pets are being wronged alive, game over, and I'm sure I mangled that quote. But no, seriously, it's cool Just as long as nobody tries to argue that Cross is better. I might have to go on a Jihad if I hear that.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also to the guy who hated Chrono Trigger--you're wrong, your friends are wrong, your f***ing pets are being wronged alive, game over, and I'm sure I mangled that quote. But no, seriously, it's cool Just as long as nobody tries to argue that Cross is better. I might have to go on a Jihad if I hear that.
    I am too hard on Chrono Trigger, that's for sure. It's not a horrible game by any stretch, I just feel that it's similar to FF7 in that people overrate the hell out of it. Cross I don't remember much off. I enjoyed it enough to pick up the Japanese art book some many years ago when I found it for $10, but that could probably be chalked up to taking advantage of a good deal more than mild fanlove.