Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't wanna sound clichet, but Legend of Zelda is def a better game then Zelda II. And I'm not saying that cuz Zelda 2 is a different format, I actually think for a platformer is pretty good, but I just think in general, the first one is a better game.

Again, not trying to sound cliche, just speaking from my personal experience.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Metal Gear Solid was better than 2 and 3. MGS 2 and 3 are both masterpieces, but to me MGS1 on the PS1 is the best of those games. Maybe it's just nostalgia, idk. I beat all 3 tho and 1 was still my fav. Even tho 3 added some amazing gameplay elements, and cut back on the long cut scenes that ppl complained about in Sons of Liberty.

No one cares about Metal Gear anymore anyway. Not like back then.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Nobody mentioned Tetris yet.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Nobody mentioned Tetris yet.
    Very good point. Tetris > Tetris 2. Altho Tetris 2 is good, also. I haven't played every version of Tetris tho, but comparing the first 2, 1 is the better one.

Idk which came first Yoshi or Yoshi's Cookies, but I prefer Yoshi. So if Yoshi came out first, thats another one. Altho some ppl prefer Cookies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yoshi came out first

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

For most franchises I just don't see much point. But here are a few of my own picks.

Wave Race 64 > Wave Race Blue Storm. I just couldn't get into Blue Storm. The controls give me issues--I feel like either the riders struggle with turning or they turn too easily, never just right. That and the music and announcer chatter isn't as good as 64, in fact each rider has their own announcer, which means some riders I can actually control (like the australian guy) I prefer not to play as because I find their announcer annoying.

Moto Racer > Moto Racer 2. This one I just have a harder time defining, but the original Moto Racer feels like a really strong, well put together game, but somehow its sequel, while still fun, doesn't feel quite as "just right" despite having more features.

And since I'm mainly talking racers here, none of the future Mario Karts have ever felt as good as the original SNES one to me.

One more:

Marvel vs Capcom 1 > Marvel vs Capcom 2. 2 would be the clear superior if it weren't for two things: First, the ridiculous points/shopping method for unlocking characters and second, the music sucks. The first one doesn't have either of these issues.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I can think of a lot where I personally prefer an earlier title, though I can't say they're objectively superior. I prefer Zelda II over all of the later Zeldas. I think Super Metroid was the best of its kind. Final Fantasy III (VI) was my favorite. I agree about Contra being superior to all of its sequels.

Narrowing to first games in a series being the best:
    Kid Icarus
    Contra
    Chrono Trigger
    Ghosts 'n Goblins
    Rastan
    Double Dragon
    Baseball Stars
    Crazy Taxi
    Power Stone

I think I'll stop there. This is the kind of thing that could go on for awhile the more I think about it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Ghosts and goblins really better over super ghouls and ghosts?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

Marvel vs Capcom 1 > Marvel vs Capcom 2. 2 would be the clear superior if it weren't for two things: First, the ridiculous points/shopping method for unlocking characters and second, the music sucks. The first one doesn't have either of these issues.
    I would have to disagree with this, because I feel MvC2 is much better than the first, and ultimate marvel 3 is better than both.
    The music in the 2nd game does suck, for the most part. There are a few tracks like the airship level which are good.
    The shopping method is kinda annoying but it doesnt take too much playtime to unlock all the characters. It does take forever to unlock all the alternate colors though, and with the Japanese version you would have to take the VMU to the arcade machine and play there to get points to unlock stuff, so THAT is annoying but I assume that you could probably download a save file off the internet somewhere.
    I will say that MvC2 is quite broken, and some characters are way more powerful than others. The first and 3rd marvel games are much more balanced in this regard.
    Probably the biggest reason I think MvC2 is better than the first is because it has bb hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI76VV4_ghg

Also regarding the music on the 2 games, most of the music tracks in the first are just remixed version of the character themes where the music tracks in the second game are original.
    The music in the first is still better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOMP...C7012&index=25
    Last edited by bb_hood; 10-25-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strider(Genesis port). Everything just came together perfectly. Sick graghics for the time, tight and fun gameplay, and some of the best music/sound on the Genesis. The only negative would be its length. I can still sit down, play this game and enjoy myself the whole way through to the end. The US Gold sequel was awful. The official Capcom sequel was ok but not as good as the original.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Act Raiser (SNES)
    Batman (NES)
    StarTropics (NES)

These games are better than their sequels.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos View Post
    Act Raiser (SNES)
    That's a good answer.
    The original ActRaiser was so epic. I was so hyped for the sequel when I saw the initial screen shots in gaming magazines the graphics looked amazing. When ActRaiser 2 did arrive it delivered on the graphics but the gameplay was so meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh ActRaiser 2 I feel was the first of the really bad games I ever bought, and I even owned stuff like Ultaman which is actually some decent rubber monster 1on1 battling fun. They remove the sim city aspect, remove the save battery, and then break the platforming with the rotten double jump that glides then slides off platforms when you land. It has so many issues it should have just been aborted. I wish some indie develper would make a true actraiser 3 only just not in name so Enix doesnt eat them alive for it. It was something I designed on paper years ago but I am no coder or Id do it myself. Thats just how much I hate that sequel.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos View Post
    StarTropics (NES)

These games are better than their sequels.
    Yeah, thats a good one too. StarTropics is such a great game. The second is not as good, the whole time travel theme isnt as cool as the tropical Island theme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The question should be reversed. Most of the time the original is best. But not as much as movies, where the original is better 90 percent of the time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    But not as much as movies, where the original is better 90 percent of the time.
    Not sure I agree with that, just thinking off the top of my head loads of movies have better sequels.
    Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part II etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreOtaku View Post
    Not sure I agree with that, just thinking off the top of my head loads of movies have better sequels.
    Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part II etc..
    The last three I agree with. But you just named the only ones. Three movies in 100+ years of Hollywood certainly proves my point.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Honestly the problem with two out of those four sequels dude named is that they can't really be taken as stand-alone, so its really not possible to say they're "better." You might as well call Two Towers better than Fellowship of the Ring--it doesn't float, because you don't understand one unless you've seen the other.

With Aliens or Terminator 2 they're fairly stand-alone, but I personally always thought Terminator 2 was kind of overrated. The action isn't that great and I could never get over the whiny-ass anti-intellectual philosophy. Seriously seeing two kids playing cops and robbers leads to a lecture about how mankind is inherently self destructive, grow the f*** up James Cameron.

Okay, back to video games.

Mega Man X > X2 or X3. This was kind of a hard call as they're all really good games, but back when I owned the whole trilogy I used to always come back to the first one the most. It just somehow feels special in a way the future installments don't. I wish I hadn't sold the latter two all the same, but oh well.

X4 tho is almost X1's equal, but then X5 and X6... suck. I never played X7 or X8.

Street Fighter II (and all its updates) > later Street Fighter games. This isn't objective on my part, just somehow I always found the later ones didn't "feel" right and had taken the characters and mythos in pretty uninteresting directions. I also personally think we didn't really need for Street Fighter and Final Fight to be in the same universe, even if it did make for one of the better episodes of the animated series. Besides, they really need to bring back Kevin Striker. (On a minor note I just personally don't care for the art stylings of the later games. Give me the SFII character sprites over the Alpha ones, or especially over the SF4 ones. Especially M.Bison. I never liked how he became so bulky, when originally he was kinda lean. I'm referring to the Dictator, not the boxer).

Oh and of course:

The SNES era Final Fantasy games > everything after, including FF7. The Playstation was the point where Square became pretentious and wanted to make movies instead of games. Yeah Final Fantasy VI had its silly or pretentious elements but it also had a sense of fun, and some seriously cool setpieces.

Also to the guy who hated Chrono Trigger--you're wrong, your friends are wrong, your f***ing pets are being wronged alive, game over, and I'm sure I mangled that quote. But no, seriously, it's cool Just as long as nobody tries to argue that Cross is better. I might have to go on a Jihad if I hear that.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also to the guy who hated Chrono Trigger--you're wrong, your friends are wrong, your f***ing pets are being wronged alive, game over, and I'm sure I mangled that quote. But no, seriously, it's cool Just as long as nobody tries to argue that Cross is better. I might have to go on a Jihad if I hear that.
    I am too hard on Chrono Trigger, that's for sure. It's not a horrible game by any stretch, I just feel that it's similar to FF7 in that people overrate the hell out of it. Cross I don't remember much off. I enjoyed it enough to pick up the Japanese art book some many years ago when I found it for $10, but that could probably be chalked up to taking advantage of a good deal more than mild fanlove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm hard on Chrono Trigger too, it's just not that great. Visuals, audio, sure total RPG SNES blowouts but the plot gets tiresome only second to the gameplay. I've never been able to tolerate it any further than the mountains with the floating rock/chain boss pretty much. I'm not saying it's bad at all, it's just overrated, the most overrated RPG on the system.

Also sometimes that second movie isn't as good (Temple of Doom) but the threequel blows out the original (Last Crusade.) But there are other second of the line that aren't sequential stories like Star Trek Wrath of Khan even if it rolls end to start to end...etc through #3 and 4, it stands alone unbound to the original and very good against the others. Debatable but Back to the Future 2 gets solid nods as being the nicest of those as well not that any of them are a slouch. I see MMX (ugh) series brought up, but MM2 many still feel of the old 8bit games is the best of the lot and far nicer than the original.