Thread: Atari 2600 jr 7805 question

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Atari 2600 jr 7805 question

Alright I picked up a cheap 2600 jr at Portland retro gaming expo last weekend and I'm cleaning it up gonna see if it works.

I have it apart and I noticed that there's a 7805 in the bottom left corner hanging out over the ground plane, designation VR1. It looks like it should have been soldered down to ground plane with the back plate on it.

Should it be or not really?
    I don't see it generating much heat so maybe that's why?

If it wasn't originally soldered down so you think it would harm it if I soldered it down? kinda in hopes to eliminate interference almost all 2600s have.

I have to re flow allot of points on this system, must have been a bad day for who ever in Taiwan made this because all ports and switches have cold solder or broken joints and most of the resistor clusters are cold aswell, thankfully the ICs are looking ok....... so far

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

It lives!
    I re flowed every non IC solder point in the board and it's working now only it still has the usual interference. Not too sure how the power supply is because I got it for a buck in the same pile I got the system so it could be that our that 7805 might be putting out some dirty power too. Might have got too hot in the past not being attached properly. I do have done replacements from a pc fan controller with heatsink attached. They are good working ones I just didn't ever use them and kept them around to harvest the vrm out of them.

So I'll probably replace that 7805 any way....

I've basically got a red/blue static on screen and the sound isn't clear at all. I'm using a nes rf switch which I've used on 2600s before with no problem but I have had this same interference with other bigger 2600s and haven't really licked it on any system yet.

Any other thoughts that might be causing it that I haven't already going over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I'm using a nes rf switch
    2600s need to be connected via manual switchbox or directly to the TV. The Atari 2600 video signal lacks the DC offset voltage required to activate the auto RF switch circuits.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]