Thread: Classic Games you never finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic Games you never finished.

So there a lot of classic games like the Mario series, the Zelda series, Final Fantasy etc. Were there any all time classics or highly regarded games you were never been able to complete due to any factors such as didn't have time, boredom, forget about it and so on? I played Super Metroid got lost and frustrated so I just stopped and forgot about it. Xenogears as it was pretty boring, I tried again yesterday and still it seems pretty boring. Although Ive read it gets better eventually.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I haven't completed a large majority of my collection. kid Icarus was excellent yet near impossible. I could never beat it without the help of the cheaty passwords.

I like to think of my retirement as a giant span of playthroughs, cigars and whiskey.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I've never finished Tetris

Video game enthusiast/collector Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The8BitFamicon
    Steam
    OrdinaryOtaku (I only accept irl friends)

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the Super Famicom. It's so hard because I can't understand Japanese
    My game consoles and computers:

Atari 2600, Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, SupaBoy, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, Atari 800XL, Atari XEGS, Sega Saturn JPN, Sega Dreamcast JPN, Sega Genesis, GameCube, DS Lite, Intellivision, Nintendo 64, Atari Flashback 1, DSi XL, Lenovo Y510p, iMac G4, HP G60.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

That reminds me....
    Rockman and bass on super famicom. Hard on emulator but when I got a 2 copies on super famicom I haven't played it since. I should try it

Insert Coin (Level 0) babywuchki's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if I've ever beaten Super Mario Bros without using the 1-Up cheat. I never even came close to finishing Zelda II.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mega Man and Ghosts n Goblins for the NES. IMHO, I always thought the 1st Mega Man was the toughest of them all. However, on the upside this year I finally beat my white whale TMNT on the NES thanks to a walkthrough bb_hood made for me. Thanks bro.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 10-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I haven't completed a large majority of my collection. kid Icarus was excellent yet near impossible. I could never beat it without the help of the cheaty passwords.

I like to think of my retirement as a giant span of playthroughs, cigars and whiskey.
    I could never beat this as a kid either. But then I recently sat down and played the 3d version and beat it. Not sure if they changed anything besides the 3d backgrounds? It was a breeze after getting past the first 3 levels though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Before today, I would have said Mega Man 2. But I slayed that beast this afternoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never finished MegaMan 1 or 6, only because I got them in the later part of the 1990s and never really made the effort, same can be said of any Ninja Gaiden game too, and I do mean any of them outside the one on the Gameboy.

I also have never finished Yoshi's Island or any from that series of games. The first pissed me off because Nintendo sold me on the lie it was Super Mario World 2 which put me out $50, hate the ranking system in it as well, and the screaching baby is high on the list as well. I've finished most of it, but not all of it as I just get fed up with it as it's not even really hard if you're not going for a 100. In turn the N64 game was so simple it was boring, the DS one I never touched, and the 3DS one I got almost free in a sale and only did one world and probably will sell it. Something about the entire series is kind of endearing but even more just not that interesting to bother with it yet I keep the SNES game around as a reminder.

Before someone notes it, I didn't look up Yoshi's Island in Nintendo Power, should have, but got it day one blind. Had I read a review in that mag where they'd lay out like the first world or two in picture I'd have ignored it as we're talking clearly pre-internet days here. No over saturation of information and no youtube to form a feeling before buying, let alone emulators to steal and play it until some years later when the FX2 was cracked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Adventures Bayou Billy. I just gave up.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Two biggest I can think of are Zelda II and Chrono Trigger. Never had either as a kid, and as an adult I just don't seem to have the patience for certain types of tedium. Or I just suck, I could spend 15 minutes on just one of those damn knights in Zelda. For Chrono Trigger I know I was pretty near the end, but had to take an extended break and then couldn't remember what I was working on. Same thing happened with Twilight Princess, actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

With Zelda I remember always having issues with the iron knuckle even then, but the others I agree on Chrono and Twilight. It's not that they're terrible, but their designs require good concentration and the will to be strong to stick to it or you easily if you walk away from it for a little will be just screwed not knowing where to pick up where you left off or wanting to bother at all. I think as you get older games like that end up impossible to really enjoy if you want to definte enjoyment as finishing the game because job, kids, woman, crap to do, it all eats the time needed to dig into something that bloated/huge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have a save game for GameCube Twilight Princess I need to get back to, from December 2006.

When I do play, I'm going to start a new game, but leave the old file as a reminder.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    The Adventures Bayou Billy. I just gave up.
    Billy should've forget about Annabelle and gone out for a cold one and picked up a new lady friend at his local watering hole.

Check out these Adventures of Bayou Billy quotes from RAMSIVERSE's review on GameFAQs:

"Game, meet the wheels of my car"

and

"Oh no, not this one. If you read no further than the end of this sentence, let me sum up the review for you: this game is ass."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587070-t.../review-132507
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 10-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

^^ I really wanted Bayou Billy as a kid, after seeing the TV commercial. My parents bought it for me when it was $14.99 at Wherehouse Video (I still have the receipt for some reason).

Damn alligators, geez! Back then I didn't see a game as good or bad, merely fun or hard. This was probably the hardest game I got as a kid. Funny, my parents picked out all the awesome games (Mario, Zelda, Excitebike) that I loved, and the ones I picked myself were... ugh.

Now for my shameful admission: I have never beaten Super Mario... 1, 2, or 3. In fact, I've always been a lazy gamer, playing casually, rather than competitively. I hope to rectify this at some point.. but not today

Hell, I barely beat Zelda last year, after having the game since 1987.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't finished hardly any of them. Maybe it's because I grew up during the arcade era and didn't expect to finish them back then. Or maybe because I suck at video games or have a short attention span and don't devote enough attention to one game at a time. I did finish a few classics such as Sid Maier's Pirates, Defender of the Crown and Hydlide.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a ton of games in my collection I haven't finished, some are just too hard or not too good, or whatever. I'm not gonna count games I don't have or haven't played much yet.

The 2 classic games I haven't beaten yet are Sonic The Hedgehog and Mega Man 2. For some reason I just cannot the first Sonic game. I played the first Sonic forever as a kid, and have played it a ton growing up, and as an adult, but I just can't finish it. It's really a game that needs a save chip, imo, cuz its pretty long, and wat makes me give up is having to go all the way back to the beginning and play thru everything again.

Mega Man 2, I need to go back and beat, I got to the 2nd or 3rd boss in Dr. Wiley's Castle, and I put it down, played something else, and haven't bothered to sit down and just beat it. I'm sure I can do it, I got that far, I just haven't gotten to it, I play all sorts of other stuff.