Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD Retrovision High Definition Super Nintendo & Sega Genesis Component Cables

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    http://www.hdretrovision.com/

Seems cool depending on price. I am about to SCART all of my consoles and saw this on Retrocollect.
    From the site

NOTE: Our component cables only output Standard Definition video. No High Definition signals are directly available through our cables. See our FAQ for more details.
    Yeah, no Misleading bait scam or anything gaiisss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They seem to be positioning this primarily for those playing on HDTV's, despite the fact that most late model CRT's manufactured in the 2000's had component inputs (Even small budget 13" sets). In that context, I don't think it's misleading or trying to imply that this will deliver an HD picture to your tv from your Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo.

But it will deliver a picture that will be superior and more suitable for upscaling to HD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

The elephant in the room is HDTV models that don't accept 240p from component.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I thought all modern TVs still had a set of plugs in back that did handle the 240p signal. The one I got back in March handles it quite nicely.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How exactly can they get Ypbpr component video from the composite output? Unless there's magic in the aether that I was not aware of, the original video signal is already degraded, as chrominence and luminence are combined. The only way to get component video from these consoles is to take the RGB signal and convert it, which is not something a cable can do.
    I smell snake oil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I thought all modern TVs still had a set of plugs in back that did handle the 240p signal. The one I got back in March handles it quite nicely.
    I think the problem is many TVs don't accept low res through VGA. My cheap Visio can display old systems through composite (with bad lag), but won't accept Dreamcast through VGA because the resolution is too low. I don't know how component video would play into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I could see that with the VGA. I have a 29" Vizio LED I got earlier this year, bought it due to the amazing low lag rating it got on displaylag.com falling barely over the double priced Sony which has extra chips to defeat lag for gamers. It was only $250 and handles the old and new just magnificently.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    The elephant in the room is HDTV models that don't accept 240p from component.
    They claim that the problem "is becoming increasingly rare with newer sets". It is, however, a moot point for those of us who still use CRTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    The only way to get component video from these consoles is to take the RGB signal and convert it, which is not something a cable can do.
    It can if it has an encoder chip embedded inside which can be powered by the 5v output provided by the AV jack.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    They claim that the problem "is becoming increasingly rare with newer sets". It is, however, a moot point for those of us who still use CRTs.
    And for those playing on modern HDTV's that want the best possible picture quality, I'd argue that it's also not really much of a real problem.

Many have already upgraded their HDTV once or twice at this point to something more modern and less likely to have this problem as scalers have become more robust (And it was never anywhere close to a universal issue... I remember plenty of people posting that they were able to play Ico on their PS2 via component to their HDTV just fine every time someone popped up with a question about what was going on when they couldn't get a picture on their new tv 8-10 years ago).

And getting the best picture possible out of your classic console is something nobody will ever get close to just with the built-in scaling chip of their tv via a composite video connection. For those considering such a cable as this with their modern HDTV in mind and have high video standards, they likely either already own something like the XRGB Mini, or it's at least on their wishlist along with accessories like these.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-30-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can if it has an encoder chip embedded inside which can be powered by the 5v output provided by the AV jack.
    Well OK. Besides that, I must be missing something - I just don't see how it's possible from a composite signal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The pins on the multi-out video port aren't just outputting composite video, that's how.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The pins on the multi-out video port aren't just outputting composite video, that's how.
    Ah, OK, the cable takes the RGB video signals. Right, cuz the Genesis and SNES natively output those. Nevermind, I'm dumb.
    If their cable can really do that, that's pretty awesome.
    I had my Genesis modded for YPbPr 3+ years ago, and there's a bit of electronics involved. This cable still sounds too good to be true, but again, if they can put the required circuitry into a cable, good on them.

For what it's worth, my Genesis looks shite on my Samsung 1080p HDTV via YPbPr. It can display it just fine, but the colors are weird. I just got a cheap CRT with YPbPr inputs and said the hell with it.
    Last edited by Eternal Champion; 10-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    For what it's worth, my Genesis looks shite on my Samsung 1080p HDTV via YPbPr. It can display it just fine, but the colors are weird. I just got a cheap CRT with YPbPr inputs and said the hell with it.
    Yup as I was saying about TVs that don't accept 240p component. Even if they will via RF, composite, and s-video.

The worst sets just flip out with a "signal not found" error. No sign apparent to the user, of any effort what so ever to process the signal.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Now that I'll seriously be looking for a CRT component video option, what CRT model should I look for best quality? I generally know Sony Wega, but I've seen some specific models recommended.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Very much so. I'm not sure of the exact extent. RGB hasn't been compared between revisions as thoroughly.

32X can output RGB, but input is mandatory. "Genesis to 32X" cables are in fact RGB cables.
    Correct, though you'd have to wait for them to offer a model 2 Genesis "HD Cable." Bad thing is the model 1 HD cable they offer is mono not stereo. Should have made it with a 3.5mm feed to the front headphone jack.

From my experience it's a crapshoot. I've seen low-end small HDTV's accept 240p over component while high end large size will not. I myself have had a Genesis work, SMS not work. All CRT's should be fine though. If the cables are cheap enough, it's worth the gamble. Maybe they could keep/update a database of HDTV's and user results.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Now that I'll seriously be looking for a CRT component video option, what CRT model should I look for best quality? I generally know Sony Wega, but I've seen some specific models recommended.
    Most Sony Wega's are fine. You don't want to go TOO new, because they began producing HD CRT's, and those won't work with light guns/old 3d glasses. Frankly, I would just hunt down a cheap, clean set that has a couple component inputs, s-video, etc. Make sure the picture is still vibrant. We have a Samsung CRT 27" in the basement, and the picture is beautiful on it. I would get a 27 incher, 32 is really really big, cannot be carried easily.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 10-30-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Most Sony Wega's are fine. You don't want to go TOO new, because they began producing HD CRT's, and those won't work with light guns/old 3d glasses. Frankly, I would just hunt down a cheap, clean set that has a couple component inputs, s-video, etc. Make sure the picture is still vibrant. We have a Samsung CRT 27" in the basement, and the picture is beautiful on it. I would get a 27 incher, 32 is really really big, cannot be carried easily.
    Actually, the HDCRT (I use HDCRT WEGAs) would be the better choice to guarantee 480p and all the way up to 1080i. Even 240p/480i signals look great on a HDCRT if you don't need use of a retro Lightgun. A loss of the scan lines, but the picture is very sharp and clear even on the older consoles.

Be careful, many Wega models and other brands have Component inputs but only support 480i. There are some ED models that do support 480p and no higher, these will only work with certain Lightguns such as the Guncon 2 that has a 480p option. For the HDTVs there are some games such as Wii House of the Dead that work very well with the "Lightgun Wiimotes".
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of on topic worth mentioning with this whole CRT, HDCRT, flat panel discussion and gun games being thrown around as not working. Hyperkin the other day put a post up with a poll with 5 options. One of them is that they'd like to do a NES Zapper like gun that works on a modern TV. I'd very much welcome this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Kind of on topic worth mentioning with this whole CRT, HDCRT, flat panel discussion and gun games being thrown around as not working. Hyperkin the other day put a post up with a poll with 5 options. One of them is that they'd like to do a NES Zapper like gun that works on a modern TV. I'd very much welcome this.
    I don't see how it is possible since the retro lightgun reads the scanlines of a SD CRT. This is different then trying to read the individual pixels of LCDs and LEDs. Still, it would be interesting if there were a way such as the work around the Guncon 3 with light belts. Although that is a completly different approach that senses separate lights such as the Wiimote. Perhaps a new lightgun with a lightbar might be sold by Hyperkin with the retro lightgun games coded thru the emulation built in the console firmware update?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Correct, though you'd have to wait for them to offer a model 2 Genesis "HD Cable."
    I'm wondering if Sega's use of 3 different possible RGB encoder circuits in the Genesis 2 will make / is making this difficult.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    I don't see how it is possible since the retro lightgun reads the scanlines of a SD CRT.
    As you said, it couldn't utilize original lightguns.

Just like you're already thinking, it would have to be something happening at the emulation layer of the Retron 5 just like how you can utilize your mouse in PC emulators with NES Zapper games to move an on-screen aiming reticle, translating that signal to the appropriate one for the game to correctly understand.

That calls for their own proprietary controller setup like a Wii remote style deal shaped like a gun along with a sensor bar with IR lights on it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.