Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD Retrovision High Definition Super Nintendo & Sega Genesis Component Cables

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the Gamecube component crowd someone is working on it.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51450
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    For the Gamecube component crowd someone is working on it.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51450
    I'm aware of that one, followed on gc-forever's forum. It's open source, but no one is making anything retail. You have to order the PCB, and wire everything yourself.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Wouldn't a Sony PVM with real RGB be better than this?
    yep.

I've got a rgb to component transcoder, the Kramer FC-14. It will take analog RGB and convert it to component, but the thing that many people don't take into consideration, is that sometimes the resolution that these systems put out, can't be recognized by certain modern day HDTV's. I have a Samsung plasma that won't sync with certain old school resolutions.

Also, sometimes the screen aspect ratio thing can be off a bit whenever you try to convert analog RGB to component.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I just tried the zapper on my flat tube and it works perfectly, VSM on or not. It is a JVC I'Art AV-27F734.
    Well, I've tried a NES zapper and a Dreamcast light gun by Madcatz on my Samsung flat CRT. Neither work. That myth is no myth. Some flat screens are actually regular round screens with a flat glass in front of the tube. Are you sure that isn't the type you have?

Gaming before CDs came out the_importer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 27" flat screen SONY Trinitron. No problems with the NES Zapper, SMS Light Gun or my Saturn Stunner Guns.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y9784 View Post
    Well, I've tried a NES zapper and a Dreamcast light gun by Madcatz on my Samsung flat CRT. Neither work. That myth is no myth. Some flat screens are actually regular round screens with a flat glass in front of the tube. Are you sure that isn't the type you have?
    My tube is indeed flat.

Could you please give me the model of your TV and the effects of having VSM on and off. Also, are you connected directly to the TV? I am trying to compile a compatibility list. http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...n-Support-List.

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer View Post
    I have a 27" flat screen SONY Trinitron. No problems with the NES Zapper, SMS Light Gun or my Saturn Stunner Guns.

Could we have details about your TV as well so that I may add it to my list?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Will Sega CD output work correctly with this cable? Don't see it mentioned on their site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Will Sega CD output work correctly with this cable? Don't see it mentioned on their site.
    It should. Sega CD has no external video output, it's mixed inside the Genesis.
    Lum fan.

Gaming before CDs came out the_importer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's this thing here: http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/oxandcow/

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer View Post
    I need a model number in order to add it to the list. It is located on the back and will be something like KV-27FS13. Also, do you have VSM turned on? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My tube is indeed flat.

Could you please give me the model of your TV and the effects of having VSM on and off. Also, are you connected directly to the TV? I am trying to compile a compatibility list. http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...n-Support-List.

That task of yours is daunting but worthy for those who want to hold onto or acquire these monsters.

Samsung TSL2795HF 27" DynaFlat EDTV

When playing, the systems were connected directly to the inputs on the back. No selector / switcher was used. NES went to composite. Dreamcast went to composite or s-video.

As far as I know, there is no option for VSM. This is a really early 2000 TV and I don't believe that was even an option on most TVs then, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by y9784; 11-07-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y9784 View Post
    Samsung TSL2795HF 27" DynaFlat EDTV
    You have an EDTV, or enhanced definition television. These TVs display everything at 480p, and are just as incompatible with most light guns as HDTVs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Touch decisions!

I'm in for one but I can't decide which one. So choices for Sega Genesis are Model 1 or Model 2. If I get the model 1, I can't use my 32x. If I get the model 2, I can't use the SMS base converter. Right now I'm currently leaning more towards the model one, that way if my 32x takes a dive I can still use it. This "first world problem" is tough.

Any opinions? I have about the same number of game for my 32x and SMS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I'm in for one but I can't decide which one. So choices for Sega Genesis are Model 1 or Model 2. If I get the model 1, I can't use my 32x. If I get the model 2, I can't use the SMS base converter. Right now I'm currently leaning more towards the model one, that way if my 32x takes a dive I can still use it. This "first world problem" is tough.

32x works with model 1, and you can "mod" the PBC to work with the Model 2 by busting off the back plastic.

Model 1 is the better model.

ProTip: using a 32x with either model of Genesis will greatly improve the video out, as it uses its own superior video encoder even for Genesis games.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post

IMHO there's only one way to go, your going to have to get the model one to play your SMS games.
    I love my Genny model 1 and I use the power base converter to play my SMS carts too.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anyone know of a service that will RGB modify a Nintendo 64 and output it through the same pins on the multi-out video/audio port as a stock SuperNes does?

Interested in getting this done, and hopefully having it compatible with this same cable.

Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK the RGB conversion on an N64 is one of the easier mods to accomplish, assuming you have the right system model.

Get the model 2 and a converter/stereo cable from retro console accessories. Just tell her you want a female mini Din 9. Then you can use the cable on gen/32x and sms.
    Last edited by Einzelherz; 11-09-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Model 2 while adding one of these.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

Unless you have a card game you can't do without, I'd go this route. And for another option, if an Everdrive is part of your collection or a plan for down the road, you can just play SMS rom images via that accessory without the need of interfacing your original SMS cartridges.

Edit: I briefly forgot that we're not just talking about physical issues of connecting a Power Base Converter into a 32X. So strike this post...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Does anyone know of a service that will RGB modify a Nintendo 64 and output it through the same pins on the multi-out video/audio port as a stock SuperNes does?

Interested in getting this done, and hopefully having it compatible with this same cable.

Thanks
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222...s-distributor/

Yurkie is doing them for $35 provided yours is the right model.

I had mine done by a guy called Piratero
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought of him and already inquired, but didn't have much luck finding out if it would output a similar RGB signal through the same pins as the SuperNes. He basically told me to do it and find out for myself.

I assume his mod has a chance of working with this component cable though, since his AA ad mentions using a RGB SuperNes cable which seems like it means it's outputting the same sort of information through the same pins on the multi video out port.

How do I tell if my N64 is able to receive this easily? Was bought in 1999 and came with two gamepads (Gray, and a clear purple model). Have another, this time second hand model, of unknown vintage.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.