Thread: GoG.com - Disney/LucasArts developer addition, Indy, Star Wars, Monkeys, Dogs and Rabbits, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default GoG.com - Disney/LucasArts developer addition, Indy, Star Wars, Monkeys, Dogs and Rabbits, etc

This morning GoG.com dropped a nice bomb out of nowhere. They got the rights to distribute various old LucasArts games from the earlier 90s (SCUMM VM, etc) stuff up on their site for download (prices appear to be in the $5-10 range.) There's Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tie Fighter, X-Wing (both with addons), Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and a note about more to come.

The old point n clicks are SCUMM VM releases, the talkies too, not the stripped floppy versions. Tie and XW appear to have two versions, the old DOS one and then some CD ver, not sure which one is is if it's the earlier DOS/Win one or the nice one I have with the lesser nice(to nuts fanboys) music but with the modern 3D models. I still own my Indy original setup in the box, and then the XP era SW and TIE games too which I created a 64bit installer for, but damn I'm tempted with Sam & Max.

www.gog.com

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think most if not all of these are abandonware and can be downloaded for free.
    No purchase necessary.

http://www.agamesroom.com/games
    Last edited by bb_hood; 10-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thats great news Tanooki. Man I love GOG. Tie Fighter and X-Wing here I come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know you must be kidding considering abandonware is just a fuzzy term for warez people think are long forgotten so you feel less filthy about pirating it. Abandonware is the PC version of the bullshit 'repro' market on Nintendo cart based systems, just a lie wrapped in a nice package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Talk about a smoking deal from GOG their also including the strategy guides for Tie Fighter & X Wing. Anyway I just thought I'd let people know the strategy guides are included in the deal from GOG. Anyway, I'm off to watch game 6 of the World Series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I know you must be kidding considering abandonware is just a fuzzy term for warez people think are long forgotten so you feel less filthy about pirating it. Abandonware is the PC version of the bullshit 'repro' market on Nintendo cart based systems, just a lie wrapped in a nice package.
    While I typically support the concept of abandonware, these games were no longer abandonware ever since they appeared on Steam (and for certain now that they are on Good Old Games). I already have copies of all of these titles but if they appear in a bundle or on sale, I will probably pick them up. On a side note, I wouldn't mind it if Loom finally ends up on Good Old Games as I wouldn't mind running that in ScummVM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had the Tie guide that went with the dos-cd version of that one and you could kill someone with the size of that thing as it was like a small town phone book. The level of detail in there on each mission, all the images, routes, the backstory and stories around and between the stages, ship specs and so on was intricate to say the least.

Sysop that's my thing entirely. When companies give up supporting a game and let operating systems blow them into oblivion I'm all for abandonware. But the moment someone gets that bright idea to bring it back in a modern package for whatever era and you can get it still, at retail, and it works, that's entirely off the table and I have no respect for anyone calling abandonware as a reason to steal the stuff. All the worse when the games themselves will set you back like $1-10 in most the cases. I was fine rocking Sim City 2000 as warez because they won't upgrade the installer or re-release it again on PC, but then GOG got it and I bought it for like five bucks and I was happy to ahve it again even if I still have(had?) the original disc. Yet you have a game like Sim City Classic and the original Windows version of Civilization that won't pop up (even Colonization is on GoG too) I have no problem with that being patched for a modern OS and warez'd but if they later did show up I'd erase and buy too. I like the fact those 2 star wars flight combat sims now exist on GoG. If the next windows or whatever again decides to hate my Xwing and Tie Collectors Edition discs with the new CDs I burned to install on a modern PC once again fail, they're a cheap option.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice Find, those games bring back some memories... Indy, here I come!
    My Classic Gaming YouTube Channel ---> www.youtube.com/user/NeptunesNookGames
    My eBay Store ---> www.neptunesnook.net

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The lure is that the games will run easily without going through hoops with original CD-ROMS.

Kind of ironic that this comes months after Disney canceled Star Wars Attack Squadrons, which was designed to recapture the fun of the old X-Wing games. I briefly participated in the beta, and it had promise.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/23/57...gfighting-game
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The lure is that the games will run easily without going through hoops with original CD-ROMS.

Kind of ironic that this comes months after Disney canceled Star Wars Attack Squadrons, which was designed to recapture the fun of the old X-Wing games. I briefly participated in the beta, and it had promise.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/23/57...gfighting-game
    That's a real shame. Disney should have moved forward with the development of Star Wars Attack Squadrons. I know I would've bought it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    That's a real shame. Disney should have moved forward with the development of Star Wars Attack Squadrons. I know I would've bought it.
    Well it was somewhat unorthodox to begin with, because it was web browser based, not console or steam or iOS or anything. I assume they were going to try to make money off ads and charging for upgrades.

I'd hate to think that they will just throw the code away, should use it on another game.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well it was somewhat unorthodox to begin with, because it was web browser based, not console or steam or iOS or anything. I assume they were going to try to make money off ads and charging for upgrades.

I'd hate to think that they will just throw the code away, should use it on another game.
    Agreed. Lets keep our fingers crossed.