Thread: Video Capture Gaming Device of your choice thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Capture Gaming Device of your choice thread

I am not entirely sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but i got earlier as a gift my first capture device ever.

it's a Honestech VHS to DVD 8.0 plus, looks neat, and i do hope that for the price it actually works.

and i actually took a small test using the built-in software, and well, the results are a bit mixed up, but could been worse, it does the work, but judge for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLd-...ature=youtu.be

is there any alternatives, especially to get proper footage on my PC?
    Last edited by Gatucaman; 11-02-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only video capture device I had used was Dazzle. Could be a good device, except for its one MINOR flaw that randomly the audio input GETS ASSIGNED TO AN INVALID PORT and thus stops working (but the video capture still works). Did they bother to fix that on newer OSes (as I know they didn't on XP)? I know there were some apps written to fix that but I hadn't had luck with it, at least on XP.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I have a slew of PCI NTSC tv capture cards. I think the best I used was a tv anywhere card from msi. I've gotten some others since then that I haven't used but I will soon since the tv anywhere isn't supported by anything any more.

The tv capture cards I have use both coax and composite so I can get systems with rf out only if I need to and don't have to hassle with A/V mods.

Should be great when I try to play conquest of the world on odyssey2

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some Twitch folks suggested the GV-USB2. I got it and it seems to work okay for OBS. Its composite and S-Video only. It took some guesswork to try to install the Japanese drivers since I couldn't read the menus. And it took some fudging with the resolution settings until I got a picture. I'd like to find something for Mac though.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/streaming/xcapture1.html

I have one of these and I love it so much. I can play games while I capture on my PC using the preview window on my PC. Very expensive though but it can capture almost anything you like.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't have a setup, but if I did it would be RGB > Framemeister > Elgato Game Capture HD60. The native Framemeister up-res would look far better than your computer upscaling a small video, and you get 60fps, which is necessary for classic games.

This is also like, a $400+ solution...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

I use a USB capture device that cost $10 or so on eBay. It's a knock off "ez cap" USB capture card.

It works well, but the drivers took some time to find as it only came with xp drivers and not windows 7, and it doesn't come with software to capture the stream, so if anyone snags this, they'll have to look for some freeware software (it works with twitch, tinychat, so if you're just looking to stream online, it works with that and ManyCam and SplitCam).

Quality is alright. It's not hd, and the inputs for it are svideo and whatever the red, yellow, white cables are (can't remember if it's component, composite, or whatever)
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds interesting, been looking for something to convert some of my LD collection to DVD. Such as, the BEST version of the original Star Wars Trilogy. This would be the LD released Remastered, NON-Special Edition.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've been using a Kworld Gaming Maker GM220 to capture video with component and S-video using consoles like the Gamecube and Dreamcast. I haven't had any success capturing the C-64 (S-Video) or console like the SNES (S-Video) and Genesis (composite). I like that I can play games on my CRT, while recording on the PC, but I don't like that I've yet to find a composite input that it will capture.

Here's a video capture that I did with the Gamecube using component cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWrSLowuOU&list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeTmKnice View Post
    Sounds interesting, been looking for something to convert some of my LD collection to DVD. Such as, the BEST version of the original Star Wars Trilogy. This would be the LD released Remastered, NON-Special Edition.
    You can save yourself the trouble by downloading various torrents out there.

There are numerous fan projects that took LD and other audio/video sources to provide original and optimal releases. Many of them include multiple audio tracks as well.

I had originally grabbed the Dark Jedi V3 versions years ago, but it seems the current fan favorite is "STAR WARS - DESPECIALIZED EDITION REMASTERED v2.5"

Search around for that on various torrent sites and skip the legwork, other people have ran this one around the globe multiple times already.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

The device I use would be able to do that if the LD player uses component or svideo outputs, but you may want to look into something of better quality, not a USB card. I used to have (well, still do, just don't use it) a Hauppage WinTV capture card that I used to use to convert VHS to DVD, and it worked well. Of course, this way of doing it, you'll have to watch the movie (or at least it will require it playing to copy it).

You can go the torrent route, as the poster above suggested, but I get paranoid about that these days, at least without an anonymous service so you're not snagged by the ISP.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    You can go the torrent route, as the poster above suggested, but I get paranoid about that these days, at least without an anonymous service so you're not snagged by the ISP.
    You're being too paranoid about it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    You're being too paranoid about it.
    Not really. My cousin just got busted for downloading some movies.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Well the laserdisc release was converted to DVD in a legit version so why not just buy that?

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    The device I use would be able to do that if the LD player uses component or svideo outputs, but you may want to look into something of better quality, not a USB card.
    With laserdiscs the native signal is composite, it makes little sense to use any other types of outputs including S-video as the picture quality would actually be degraded.

If you use S-video outputs on a laserdisc player you're having the composite signal converted by the player to S-video with it's built in comb filter, but TVs usually have better quality comb filters so it's usually better to just use composite and let the TV do the converting.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Well the laserdisc release was converted to DVD in a legit version so why not just buy that?

With laserdiscs the native signal is composite, it makes little sense to use any other types of outputs including S-video as the picture quality would actually be degraded.

If you use S-video outputs on a laserdisc player you're having the composite signal converted by the player to S-video with it's built in comb filter, but TVs usually have better quality comb filters so it's usually better to just use composite and let the TV do the converting.
    Ah. I don't know much about laser discs, so I assumed it would be similar to capturing VHS. I personally don't like the way svideo looks at all, so I never use it, but I do know the majority prefer it over other methods of the time.

Thanks for that bit of info (also wasn't aware that the LD version was legitimately released on DVD, so thank you again for that!)