Thread: Mighty Gunvolt & Azure Striker Gunvolt

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Red face Mighty Gunvolt & Azure Striker Gunvolt

Who has these? They are downloadable games sold as a bundle for the Nintendo 3DS. Personally, I was not very impressed by either one.

I think Mighty Gunvolt was the better of the two with its authentic-sounding and -looking NES style, but it lacked any final boss or extra area for completing the game as all three playable characters, and the intentionally bad "Engrish" localization was neither funny nor charming.

Azure Striker Gunvolt was even more of a disappointed in my eyes: it has a forced love side story, a boring love interest, it wants to be "Mega Man Zero" much too badly, it has too many gradients and color highlights (like a lot of modern Japanese games), almost every character is a trope/stereotype instead of being truly interesting, and I found the sex-crazed hermaphrodite of a boss (representing the sin of lust) to be extremely tactless and discomforting. It was also bizarre how politically correct the other characters were in their dialogue when discussing this boss, calling he/she/it a "bigender," "xe," and "xem," instead of using what I figured were more common yet unoffensive terms. If I knew ahead of time that these two games, particularly this one, were going to be like this, I wouldn't have bought them.

...Thinking about it, Keiji Inafune's output since leaving Capcom has been disappointing overall, hasn't it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got these a few weeks ago. I probably shouldn't have, but that's neither here nor there.

I beat Mighty Gunvolt with 2 different characters already. For my first playthrough, I used Gunvolt and only died on the final boss. I used Beck the second time and actually died a few times in the earlier stages. I kept trying to get that charge move to work in my favor, but I could never figure out a use for it. All in all I'd say I was disappointed in it. I'm glad it wasn't unfairly or artificially hard, but more levels and variety would have been nice. It just felt like something someone programmed in their spare time, which is essentially what it is. But hey, it was free.

I have yet to have time to play Azure Striker Gunvolt. I'm hoping it's more engrossing than you are describing it, but I've been wrong before. I'm trying to whittle down a little more of my backlog before I dive into it. Here's hoping I didn't waste my money.
    Last edited by aingevt; 11-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Mighty Gunvolt was more fun to me than Azure Striker Gunvolt.

I saw your complaints about Azure Striker Gunvolt and the characters/story. It has been a big problem with both it and Mighty Number 9, especially the latter. Really a mess of stupid Internet drama leaking into games. All just for a bunch of mediocre Mega Man clones.

I think Shantae would have been a better choice.
    Last edited by Tupin; 11-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.