Thread: Favorite Edutainment Games and What Makes Them Special

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Zoombini's Logical Journey
    I am definitely for things that increase people's awareness of and usage of reason and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Carmen Sandiego [sealed CIB] for the Coco 3 $12.99 plus shipping
    Ahh yeah, nothing like a complete copy in a big computer game box.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Carmen Sandiego games have to be my favorite. If I recall correctly, "Where in the USA?" was the first, followed by Europe, and then World, and then Time. I am pretty sure Time is the last; a little unsure about the other ones. Even though they were largely a process of hunting through the reference books included with the game along with some minimal logic / deduction, they were great for children to learn.

Other than that, Number Munchers - definitely a favorite.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Operation Neptune. Great shump and math game Back when I played this as a kid in school, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely better than Math Blaster.

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y; 03-05-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My favorite one was on a snowy mountain with 4 levels, and every time you cleared the mountain, you would parachute out of a palace/fortress to the base and receive a treasure for your trophy room in a cave. Forgot the name of it.

EDIT: It was the mac version of super solvers: treasure math storm.
    Last edited by Highwind Dragoon; 05-04-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Oh man, it's kinda embarrassing, since I have two that I remember having a total blast with, but I can't recall their titles to save my life. OT is okay, and I chewed through multiple iterations of Carmen Sandiego (to the consternation of actual educators) on Apples (think the IIc and IIe, I forgot). But the two that I loved and can't recall the names of...

The first was this truck driving simulator. You drove a 18-wheeler hauling whatever to various places in the US, having to worry about things like eating and sleeping, picking the best route between cities, and deciding whether or not to speed and risk a pullover. If you got to the destination on time, you got a little prize in-game. I don't remember if you just drove off again or had to start a new haul. It was one of those things that should have totally sucked, but ate your brain and your free time, and actually gave something like meaningful decision points.

The second was this game where cartoony robots were rampaging through the school, and you 'shot' them with a camera to drive them off, and then you tried to match details on the photos with evidence you collected to figure out which one was the actual bad guy. I think there were variations where the 'evidence' was linked to a particular subject, but I can't remember for sure. It was kinda 20 years ago now.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Oh man, it's kinda embarrassing, since I have two that I remember having a total blast with, but I can't recall their titles to save my life. OT is okay, and I chewed through multiple iterations of Carmen Sandiego (to the consternation of actual educators) on Apples (think the IIc and IIe, I forgot). But the two that I loved and can't recall the names of...

The first was this truck driving simulator. You drove a 18-wheeler hauling whatever to various places in the US, having to worry about things like eating and sleeping, picking the best route between cities, and deciding whether or not to speed and risk a pullover. If you got to the destination on time, you got a little prize in-game. I don't remember if you just drove off again or had to start a new haul. It was one of those things that should have totally sucked, but ate your brain and your free time, and actually gave something like meaningful decision points.

The second was this game where cartoony robots were rampaging through the school, and you 'shot' them with a camera to drive them off, and then you tried to match details on the photos with evidence you collected to figure out which one was the actual bad guy. I think there were variations where the 'evidence' was linked to a particular subject, but I can't remember for sure. It was kinda 20 years ago now.
    I don't know about the second game, but the first sounds like Truckin', which I played on Intellivision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightspan. XD

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post

This was the first one that came to my mind aside from the always popular Oregon Trail of course but you're thinking of the Super Solver series I believe. I can remember our whole class rushing to the learning center at school trying to get to the computers first to play them because we obviously in the late 80's had more students than computers
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robocop2 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes!! The Carmen Sandiego Series...Where in the World, Where in the U.S.A., Where in Europe, and Where in Time.
    Another one is 3D Dinosaur Adventure, it helped me to remember the name of different dinosaurs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hackfly For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-13-2017)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Favorite isn't really the right word, but one my sister and I played was a math game set in a 3D castle (think Phantasy Star 1 dungeons). You had to find your way out, but sometimes a spider would drop in front of you and you'd have to solve the math problem it gave you to pass. I think you could also find treasure and had to answer a problem to pick it up. The walls were bluish gray and I think the spiders were purple and drawn directly facing you, so with the legs out to the side. I remember my sister was at a difficulty level where it was completely incomprehensible to me, probably long division, whereas I was doing stuff like 12 + 6.

edit: a day later, but I found the game: Adventures in Math. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzXD1tAPK0Q
    Last edited by Cornelius; 12-13-2017 at 08:36 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cornelius For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-14-2017)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

You can play "Adventures in Math" at the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Ad...s_in_Math_1983

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (12-14-2017)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Mario is Missing!. it feels like Super Mario World but with historical insight

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-09-2018)

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

Well, probably the one that wowed me and kept me engaged the most, even though in actuality it's the most boring and stupid thing ever in retrospect, but hey, I was 8, would be that IBM EdLAN Package series of math games they had that had kinda funky full speech synthesis. We played them on IBM PS/2 Model 25 286s with Telex Headphones on....and you'd get a different color Ribbon based on how quickly you answered the problem...

IBM PS/2: "You have Seven...BOUELS (Bowls) of Cerial.....you ate one more.....how many...BOUELS (Bowls) of cerial do you have now"

ME: (hunt n' pecks a lough, clicky "8" on the 101 key IBM Model "M" Keyboard)

IBM PS/2: "Like a happy smile it displays a pretty VGA gold ribbon on the lower right hand side of the screen".

Honestly my favorite thing to use in school was IBM LinkWay, all of my Pixel Art skills I OWE to IBM LinkWay. I wish I had a copy! I made a lot of login screens up into High School using that.

If I have to pick an actual edutainment title - there were these Science Labs by IBM in high school that were DOS based and interactive that were rather fun....like mixing chemicals and showing how Cells work and whatnot. I think I have one or two of those.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mike For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-15-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Here, Mad-Mike, I uploaded this for you:
    https://archive.org/details/IBM-LinkWay