Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majora's Mask Reboot thoughts

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Majora's Mask Reboot thoughts

The title says it all: What do you guys want to see out of the long awaited remake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I want to see it follow the template of Ocarina of Time 3D. And judging by the trailer, that's exactly what I'll be getting.

If they want to go above and beyond this, toss in Four Swords Anniversary Edition as part of the package.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hopefully it can take advantage of the New 3DS features.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Goddamn waste of resources on one of the more subpar Zelda releases. Nintendo is in need of bringing back dead franchises and making new IPs, not spewing out old shit like that considering the tough position they're in right now. Sure you'll get the Zelda fanboy spurt that'll drive the sales for a time on it, but like the other Ocarina, not so sure how long it'll sustain when people tire of redoing it again.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Man just give me an adapter or digital method of playing 3ds titled on my wii u so I can blow the dust off of that paperweight .

It's depressing when I know exactly when I plan on turning the wii u on next, the day bayonetta hits $20 dollars on amazon
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Goddamn waste of resources on one of the more subpar Zelda releases. Nintendo is in need of bringing back dead franchises and making new IPs, not spewing out old shit like that considering the tough position they're in right now. Sure you'll get the Zelda fanboy spurt that'll drive the sales for a time on it, but like the other Ocarina, not so sure how long it'll sustain when people tire of redoing it again.
    Didn't you see Splatoon and Code Name Steam? Plus, isn't a second party studio doing it for them like with the OoT remake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, it has been outsourced to Grezzo and isn't taking up any of Nintendo's internal development capacity. Majora's Mask is a fine game and a portable remake of it is something that will be popular. Should be a fine way for this franchise to conclude on the aging 3DS, and hopefully help excite fans for the original Wii U entry due next Fall.

But you can't please everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eh, I still have the Gamecube anniversary edition. I really should play that sometime.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I loved everything Zelda until Ocarina of Time. I reserved it, wore the t-shirt, bought it, and... got bored out of my mind. Hyrule felt so barren, and the games on N64 lost me. Large fields with sparse secrets and enemy encounters with no meaning, and the dungeons were infuriating to me. Block puzzles used to take a couple of seconds in the old games. From those games on, I had to play out every freaking frame of animation to realistically and slowly shove blocks around, and they weren't even moving on a grid so that each push moved a space... seriously, I got so bored, having figured out where to go or what to do, but taking forever to watch it play out.

If you can't tell, I hate these Zeldas, and selfishly wish they'd never wrecked a series I loved. I get that people love them, and that's cool, but for my opinion, I wish Zelda had stopped long, long ago, and I certainly don't care to relive this one. If you do, I hope you enjoy it. I would prefer to have my imagination engaged instead of my patience tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played OOT or MM since I beat them as a kid many years ago at release. I definitely have been meaning to pick up and play the OOT remake and I'd give MM a try too. Just too many darn games on my backlog in the meantime.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Only thing that really bugs me about MM is that it basically can become like a chore at a certain point. Every event has to be planned out meticulously. I do like that there is less emphasis on dungeons though. The world is more immersive than OoT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup can't please everyone is right.

I know Grezzo is involved, but still it's a waste of resources as they've proven they can do fine work so I still stand on the fact I think they should be tapped for something far better from the past and/or something new.

I don't like MM, I never liked it, and I keep trying to like it every couple years I bump into a cheap copy of it in the last 5 or so years and I can't. It just feels halfassed together to me. I detest the mask mechanics as so much of it just feels like space adding time wasting chores. The thing really really got me was the whole time mechanic where you jump back three days, if you don't bank your disposable goods and cash you lose it, yet you still do lose progress you make into areas/dungeons if you don't speed play your way through stuff causing annoying re-runs. I just feel it's a badly designed game, a slap job to cover Nintendo's ass in a hurry due to a prematurely dying N64 that was sucking wind pretty hard at the time and needed something out there to justify its existence. I really can't think of a Zelda game I hate more, though the poorly handled Wii version of Twilight Princess is a cozy second to it. That game itself had control issues on there and in general is overly large, empty spaces and a rotten save mechanic that loses good progress since it relies on the old 2D era 'enter a town/dungeon door or cave' and that's your save spot you recover from if you quit before the next. Ocarina was the far nicer game of the N64 releases, despite it's overrated approval rating it's like the FF7 of PS1, fanboy orgy rating approved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Only thing that really bugs me about MM is that it basically can become like a chore at a certain point. Every event has to be planned out meticulously.
    If you're talking time, it's not much more than a plot element. Once you learn how to slow time in the opening hour or so of the game, you'll have ample time to complete your tasks without feeling rushed.

The thing really really got me was the whole time mechanic where you jump back three days, if you don't bank your disposable goods and cash you lose it
    A spin around the perimeter of the city as a Goron, crushing bushes, will restock you of bombs, arrows, and the like. Banking was never much of a problem for me. I don't remember depositing or taking money out very often.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In order to do absolutely everything, you have to devote whole three day cycles to getting things like heart pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Other than the fairy bits of whatever they were, which I didn't bother with, I believe I got every item and every heart yet always ended up with time to spare when I was ready to call it quits and save.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup can't please everyone is right.

I know Grezzo is involved, but still it's a waste of resources as they've proven they can do fine work so I still stand on the fact I think they should be tapped for something far better from the past and/or something new.

I don't like MM, I never liked it, and I keep trying to like it every couple years I bump into a cheap copy of it in the last 5 or so years and I can't. It just feels halfassed together to me. I detest the mask mechanics as so much of it just feels like space adding time wasting chores. The thing really really got me was the whole time mechanic where you jump back three days, if you don't bank your disposable goods and cash you lose it, yet you still do lose progress you make into areas/dungeons if you don't speed play your way through stuff causing annoying re-runs. I just feel it's a badly designed game, a slap job to cover Nintendo's ass in a hurry due to a prematurely dying N64 that was sucking wind pretty hard at the time and needed something out there to justify its existence. I really can't think of a Zelda game I hate more, though the poorly handled Wii version of Twilight Princess is a cozy second to it. That game itself had control issues on there and in general is overly large, empty spaces and a rotten save mechanic that loses good progress since it relies on the old 2D era 'enter a town/dungeon door or cave' and that's your save spot you recover from if you quit before the next. Ocarina was the far nicer game of the N64 releases, despite it's overrated approval rating it's like the FF7 of PS1, fanboy orgy rating approved.
    Do you happen to own one of those cheap copies and would you like to sell one to a person who has never experienced the game?

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

This may not make sense to some but, I am glad they are porting this game to a handheld. Mainly because I don't like the game. Here is my thought on it.

I own all cartridge Zelda's and the one I like the least is MM. I suck at that game simply because I don't have time to figure all the timing and where to go so I end up changing carts and playing a Mario or Kirby or Conker. This way I can have more time to play on and off. I usually have a handheld in my truck to keep me busy when I end up waiting around and also in bed before sleep, I usually try an hour at whatever game is in my 3ds.

So merely due to convenience this may be the only way I can complete this game. In my head If I am going to be glued to one of my TVs, its gonna be a game I can't wait to play. With the 3ds I can just shut it (sleep mode) and pick it up here and there to continue my progress.

In other words I am looking forward to this game. But also looking forward to its price drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ZP last one I had was maybe 6-9 months ago, found one without a label at a goodwill for $2 so I figured I'd give it a go...got fed up with it after about 2 hours. If I still had it I'd be happy to hand it over but I do not. I don't have a gaming budget really so anything that sucks to me I end up selling so I can get stuff to play.

Leo you must be fast. I often would wander town to get clues or whatever, then I'd set a day to head out but I'd find that I wouldn't have what I needed to get too terribly far, more often enough I'd end up exploring an area heading towards a dungeon to get whatever is needed there and run out of time, or I'd run out in a dungeon and have to do all the crap over again which drove me nuts. I hated feeling rushed, that's my ultimate gripe next to the others I listed.

Like 8bit there put it in far nicer terms..."the one I like the least is MM...because I don't have time to figure all the timing and where to go so" (so I end up running out of time and getting ticked at it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did you ever talk to the scarecrow in the observatory? Slowing time will make each day, which normally last close to an hour each, run at just 1/3 the speed.

And when the 72 hours start, just after slowing down time, just walk outside the nearest castle gate. Then, transform into a Goron, and roll around the field around the city a couple of times until you've restocked yourself.

This stuff all seemed so confusing back in 2000 when I was reading about this. But after receiving it as a Christmas gift that year a few weeks after release, it didn't take too long to understand that the time limit wasn't really much of a practical issue, understand how the two save mechanisms work (Which really had me confused until I tried it for myself), figure out Nintendo's handy trick for restocking yourself rapidly at the start of a 72 hour cycle, the boss shortcuts when I needed to do something like thaw that one area, the realization that I didn't need to deposit every rupee I ever earned or withdraw it at the start of every cycle, etc.

There are crazy people out there that can even speed run through this, presumably without 100% completion, within the single 72 hour cycle. Keeping my tactic of dedicating one cycle to just one dungeon (Or spider house... the one time I can ever recall running out of time on my first play through back then was when I tackled one of these after beating a main dungeon), I had no issues.

But of course, I didn't truly 100% it since I didn't collect the fairy shards in each of the four temples (Majora's Mask version of the skulltulas from OoT).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-06-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I vaguely recall going as far as taking down a boss or two and then being in a snowy area with some Gorons maybe they were blocking a path? I don't remember being able to turn into one of those, just the deku transformation. The only time I put some considerable distance or hours into it was when it first came out. The rolling around for picking up goods sounds nice, most positive I never did that. I also don't remember ever finding the way to slow time either, but the scarecrow sounds familiar kind of so maybe I did or he was in Ocarina somewhere. I just remember always running out as far as I could then seeing time run out and having to head back really fast to beat the clock to keep my goods, or just do it and lose them and I got sick of it.