Thread: Create a NES reproduction game without any programming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Create a NES reproduction game without any programming!

Here's a "how-to" on creating Thexder for the NES without the use of an EPROM programmer.

Step 1) Extract the mask roms from the original Famicom game with a de-soldering tool.

Step 2) De-solder the mask roms from 10 Yard Fight to use the circuit board.

Step 3) Solder the Famicom mask roms onto the NES board.

Step 4) Test the game.

Step 5) Create a custom label and voila!

If you would like to see some of my repro work, check out my Instagram account.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thexder 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	7730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thexder 2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	7731  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a bad piece of work there, but it's also not always that cut and dry. Sure 10 Yard Fight works for the most basic of Famicom games, but when you get beyond that you'll need to know using bootgod a 100% compatible board chip for chip where you can do a pop n' swap of a couple chips (CHR and PRG) to keep up the pace because if you mismatch the memory mapper you're hosed.

Some stuff just won't work with Japanese special chips like most of the good stuff Konami put out, so there you need another blackbox game with the converter inside and go about cannibalizing one of those to make a game out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Not a bad piece of work there, but it's also not always that cut and dry. Sure 10 Yard Fight works for the most basic of Famicom games, but when you get beyond that you'll need to know using bootgod a 100% compatible board chip for chip where you can do a pop n' swap of a couple chips (CHR and PRG) to keep up the pace because if you mismatch the memory mapper you're hosed.

Some stuff just won't work with Japanese special chips like most of the good stuff Konami put out, so there you need another blackbox game with the converter inside and go about cannibalizing one of those to make a game out of it.

I forgot to mention the circuit board discrepancies. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Eh no problem. I had been considering doing it myself before but I just never got around do it, then stumbled into a super cheap bootleg with a honeybee attached no one else on ebay noticed, and after that the Retron5 showed up so I gave up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Immutable View Post
    Here's a "how-to" on creating Thexder for the NES without the use of an EPROM programmer.

Step 1) Extract the mask roms from the original Famicom game with a de-soldering tool.

Step 3) Solder the Famicom mask roms onto the NES board.

Step 4) Test the game.

If you would like to see some of my repro work, check out my Instagram account.
    yay, i am sure it totally works with ROM tranlastions and games from 1987 and beyound.........

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not get a Famicom to NES converter? They are not that hard to find and you still have the cool looking famicom cart.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    yay, i am sure it totally works with ROM tranlastions and games from 1987 and beyound.........
    You're right by pointing out that problem. This only works well for games like "Binary Land", "Choplifter", "Dig Dug", or "Battle City".

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Why not get a Famicom to NES converter? They are not that hard to find and you still have the cool looking famicom cart.
    It's a hobby - pure and simple.

Also, the official Famicom/NES convertor (which I prefer to use) is becoming more and more scarce in the market, and they're way too expensive on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's for certain, once the predators got out there and realized there was a market for those early era famicom adapters they've been checking carts and charging like over $25 for them on ebay since like sharks. It's approaching a point you'd be better off scoring a third party adapter, and it is a better deal if you find one with a game attached to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That's for certain, once the predators got out there and realized there was a market for those early era famicom adapters they've been checking carts and charging like over $25 for them on ebay since like sharks. It's approaching a point you'd be better off scoring a third party adapter, and it is a better deal if you find one with a game attached to it.
    Yeah, I have been looking for an early 5 screw game with an adapter for several years with no luck in the wild. Recently I won a raflle for one so that'll be exciting to play with finally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's cool good for you. Before people caught onto the craze of it a little over a year or so (less than 2) ago locally I was able to go through the local chain shop and find a couple using the known visual tests, same place also turned up 4 copies of the Wii Fire Emblem game for 1/2 the going rate and the gray Turok Rage Wars too. It's been filcher picked over for months now though and they've thanks to half price books stopped doing anything but ebay or higher too.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I remember years ago finding Famicom games or multicarts with converters attached for under $5 at thrift stores. I'm still surprised to hear the converters became so expensive. Having multicarts are a pretty decent way to play Japanese only released games on North American consoles, if you don't have the original carts with a converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I am too, but I think how it worked out was that someone got the idea if you have a 100in1 cart, you can charge a dollar a game and pitch it as a great deal. As far as the converters go, I have no idea, probably completely the internets fault for people catching on to what they got screwed out of by the Japanese for the old systems.

I keep a Supervision 115in1 around which has 98 unique games (others are 1 dupe, rest are pro speed hacks) and the selection on it is just amazing but it's also in a standard NES shell. I do have the Golden Game 260in1 in a Famicom case, it has those rare Taiwanese made games like Wild Ball and his other stuff like Magic Crystal on there and Brush Roller which is good stuff, but I never use it, oddly no one seems to want it as I can't slide it rhough ebay (got caught) and multiple forums didn't care either so I think some stuff is more popular than others.

What's really nuts is how much certain converters go for just due to who made them. Look at a generic one versus a Honeybee and the price changes a lot, especially if it's the gold painted one which is dopey since it's identical to the gray cart.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow!!! I can make repros without a programmer too!!!

Step 1) Buy two eproms from Hobbyroms

Step 3) Solder the eproms roms onto the NES board.

Step 4) Test the game.

I dunno...seems to me sacking Fami carts just for the mask roms is a complete waste. Not like the data is pure or better on a mask rom.
    A 1 is a 1 is a 1 ...be it on eprom, mask or flash.

If you said your wife ball gagged you and then crushed Fami carts while naked in her stiletto heals...that I could respect
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bust3dstr8 View Post

[Somethings not worth repeating.]

I think you're in the wrong forum.