Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First party nintendo games you didn't like?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First party nintendo games you didn't like?

What first party Nintendo games for any system did you feel were not worth playing more than once, if at all?
    They tend to have a great library so even the worst games are at least 'decent'.

I can say I honestly wasn't too flattered with Kirby's Air Ride. Such a long wait for a game that was mediocre at best.
    I also don't care for any of the Mario Party series. That is one franchise Nintendo should give up entirely, if they haven't already.
    Despite that recent thread bashing Super Mario Sunshine, I quite liked it. Not the killer app the Gamecube should've had, but I tend to enjoy most of the games in the Mario Bros. main series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radar Scope wasn't that exciting....
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Off the top of my head, anything they made for the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    lol. Okay. *snicker*

Honestly the only 'not very good first party N64 title that comes to mind is Kirby 64. Its just kind of... slow and plodding compared to other Kirby outings.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Are we going by first party published or first party developed? Kirby 64 was developed by HAL Laboratory, and it's not actually that bad for an N64 game though it is lacking compared to earlier titles. At least it kept a 2D plane rather than going full 3D.

I just never got into the Mario Party games and hated Super Mario 64, technically the Mario Party games were by Hudson soft so I don't know if they count anyway. Mario Kart 64 was decent but it's basically the same type of game as Super Mario Kart, only with using a terrible controller. With Super Smash Bros(by HAL so does it count?), I'd rather be playing a beat-em-up instead of a Street Fighter II knock off. Then there's the Pokémon games, 3D Zeldas, StarFox 64, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, and Yoshi's Story. Overall, meh. StarFox 64 is probably the best of these but I still prefer the SNES version.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They tend to have a great library so even the worst games are at least 'decent'.
    Depends on what you call decent. Or great for that matter. A long time ago you could have said that, but not now, far from it.

Outside of the depth of pvp, the Pokemon series has never been good. Around 20 hours single player each game, each of them with almost the same boring storyline, each of them with some brain dead easy difficulty gameplay where the first six Pokemon you find you could easily blow through the game sometimes finishing entire gyms with only one of those six Pokemon. It's only after the garbage single player that you can only get into the pvp but that's after putting as much time you put into single player to put into organizing a great party. This is of course if you want to guarantee you don't lose, what's the point in the pvp otherwise? In order to get to the only decent part of the game, you've got to easily put in 20 hours or more. Without the pvp these games would be complete ass yet these games regularly get rated in the high 80s or 90s while much better RPGs were panned for very minor faults on a regularly basis.

So Nintendo games I've played but didn't like.

Super Mario 64
    Super Mario Kart series after the first. I liked the first game, but the later games penalize you for being a better player.
    Pokemon series minus Pokemon Snap.
    Animal Crossing
    The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, and Four Swords.
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Super Princess Peach
    Pilotwings Resort
    Yoshi's New Island
    Tomodachi Life
    Wii Sports

*edit*

Could be more but I can't think of them.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-12-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree the N64 Kirby was slow, but I've just gotten around to playing it and am still enjoying it nonetheless. Not the best Kirby game in any regard, though.

I'm referring to both first party developed AND published. Nintendo usually only publishes stuff that they've had a hand in contracting. Anything they didn't mine as well have been theirs since they usually only accept candidates that they consider to be their own.

Kupomogli: Again, I find most of the ones you listed to be relatively decent. There's a few that are all-time favorites though like Mario 64.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember Geist or The Pokemon Channel? No one ever speaks positively about them, who actually remember them to begin with. As far as Pokemon goes, I do enjoy the games, but one of them in enough to have in your collection as they are all really similar.

Smash Bros. only sucks because in general it tends to be so addictive that you'll get absolutely sick of it eventually. That's why I sold my copies of the N64 original and the GC sequel. Never bought the Wii one.

StarFox Adventures comes to mind. It was decent as an action/adventure game but didn't really innovate in the genre. Not really worth playing more than once.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 11-12-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Mario Party after 4 comes to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm going to guess you mean 1st party developed, or at least 1st party mascot someone else worked on for them (IE: Kirby from HAL people bring up for N64.)

I have a nice little list of stuff.
    - Zelda Majoras Mask - Truly awful, worst of the franchise - A quickly slapped together turd to extend the usefulness of the dying N64. The clock screws you over losing progress in areas and your goods if you don't bank them, most the masks are stupid time fillers to add hours onto the clock.
    - Donkey Kong Land 1-3/Country GBC: They don't adjust the play to a square from rectangle screen, characters are larger than necessary, controls a little slippy, and too many leap of faith jumps making for stupid deaths and lack of room on screen to avoid stuff as you're big.
    - Kirby's Canvas Curse (and let's throw upcoming WiiU sequel of that in) Awful-- touch controls are sketchy (no pun intended) and sloppy making it a hassle and not fun to play.
    - Mario Party anything -- If you're playing this against AI, assume you'll lose as it's rigged to if it can't whip your ass, pull some magic star grab crap in the back end off one of their turns to make sure you lose. If playing with 4 people, it's all good.
    - Zelda DS (both) Poor forced stylus controls causing unncessary rolling to death/hits issues, loose control due to it too, also horrid backtracking that's well beyond overkill
    - Starfox DS Again poorly forced stylus control makes for painful flying at times, but the issue is the limited turns per map or you fail mixed with a fog of war and moving targets -- you can be perfect playing and still lose on the asinine map.
    - New Super Mario Bros (All but WiiU) -- A mix of wonky floaty physics, boring ass generic platformer with Mario graphics thrown on them design, on the portables buying the right to save with coins which is idiotic for a handheld, and the original DS game hiding 2 full worlds if you don't take the alternative boss non-fight exit path.
    - Wii Zelda - Both -- TP being a rushed GC port with questionable controls causing the game to be more difficult due to that, wolf didn't work well. And Skyward Sword being 1:1 was nice but it wears you out and both games had a large amount of retread over the same spots which tended to be sparse which got boring.
    - Mario Kart Wii/DS - Ugh, heaps of online cheating and hacking to cheat, generic courses mostly. DS game on 150cc cheats in 1P mode to keep you in 2nd, AI in first, and all AI ignores #1 and attacks you which is lame. Wii one I just didn't like the bikes or the stages.

I don't really dislike the whole concept, just how they've handled it is Pokemon. You take a fun simple concept and turn it into a life and time sucking vortex making it where each little creature has to level up individually which takes a LONG time, and you need probably at least 10-12 due to various weaknesses each have to go through the game and you can only pocket a party of 6 so you do the math. 3DS fixed it nicely enough with the exp share option in the menu, but the game overall has not evolved so it's kind of stale. I keep FireRed around for a fix if needed. Animal Crossing can be hit for the same fault as they did so much on the GC game, then the DS and Wii titles were so freaking boring. The 3DS changed it up a bit but there's only so much you can do.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-12-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

SNES Star Fox. Early 3D can be novel looking. But the framerate and hit detection, or something, throws me off.

Mario Pinball Land. Too much trial and error.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin. Not as entertaining to play, or my kind of soundtrack.
    I'll give them credit for cutting back excessive powers/units and number of characters. Still I think I'd have liked a throwback in the story somewhere.

Animal Crossing Wild World. Could've been optimized better. The boring dialogue font took away much of the series' intended feel.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario 64. Never played it on release. Played it a few years ago. Just plain sucks. Hate the controller an makes everything annoying. The legend of zelda NES never impressed me. I remember renting that. Love the 2nd though. Mario kart 64 is jus plain terrible. Never liked it

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Kart. I only enjoy the SNES and Gamecube one these days. The AI drives me insane (get it?). I also think a lot of the hate that I have for most of the more popular Nintendo titles are from the fans of those games. If you criticize any part of the games you get a million messages about how you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never played any of the Mario sports titles, but have a suspicion that I'd enjoy them.

But one I've tried and know isn't for me, is Super Smash Brothers. Just not a fan of fighters, even with a healthy dose of Nintendo nostalgia everywhere you look.

And one I've never tried, but I'm certain isn't for me, is the Pokemon franchise. Beyond five minutes taking pictures in Pokemon Snap, I have np experience with this series and no urge to rectify that. And viewing video of Earthbound was enough to convince me that it wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    F-Zero X and Star Fox 64 kind of disappointed me, but in general, I loved their output during the N64 years. GameCube had many more misses for me than the N64 did.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the misses increase with age. As the franchises converted to 3D and then felt the need to be more splashy but ever so changing very little as to not offend the big fanboy pool they've become very stale and played out, and then you have some odd run of Nintendo laziness in testing the last generation and this making the issues even more obvious. Throw down a good franchise and then force incompetent gimmick only control options which would wreck and otherwise very cool title and I can totally see where the hatred comes from in increasing numbers from non-kids players who have experienced their stuff over a longer period of time. Notice how much of the complaints have been from their 3D capable systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not seeing that discontent from long-time fans. Hard to imagine a fan of platforming Mario titles not getting a big kick out of Super Mario 3D World, for instance. A game such as that is quality through and through.

I know you've become a disgruntled Nintendo fan, but I'm confident that most long-time fans of Nintendo don't take much issue with their internal game development, a resource that is responsible for them still being a player here despite so many other issues.

These skills are why folks still pay attention despite the near absence of 3rd party support, primitive online integration, and many other problems. If the typical long-time Nintendo fan has any issue with it, it's when a favorite franchise like Metroid isn't given the attention they'd desire.

And your control complaints have some merit, but is largely an issue of the past. 3DS and Wii U don't cram touch and motion control down your throat. And Nintendo was already largely remedying this well before the DS and Wii were even phased out. When these control elements remain, chances are, it's because it complements rather than detracts.

And frequently, a 100% traditional control option remains as frequently seen in many 1st party Wii U releases despite the presence of motion and touch control.

Nintendo gets a lot wrong, but what they don't get wrong is the output from their top internal development teams.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yoshi's Story

Easy, uninspired, boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And such a missed opportunity after Yoshi's Island...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Leo I think you're misreading me. I'm talking beyond the confines of this board too. For people who started out before the N64 I'm finding an increase in the amount of people who have more issues with the later stuff is all. I never said a bad thing about Super Mario 3D World (or 3D Land) I like them a great bit, my only gripe is the star system having to grab enough to keep playing but that goes back to Mario 64. You're right that they do more good than harm to their franchises still, and for those who get the stuff now as their first or second system odds are they're even more pleased as anyone would at a younger age too.

I know my gripes of the Wii and DS releases were of the past, that's why you saw me single that out and not go after the WiiU or 3DS releases. They learned that was for the most part a stupid move, but they'll still do it a bit but it will be a design choice, not shoehorning forced usage, like the Kirby Canvas Curse sequel. I wouldn't touch that if i were paid to, hated the DS game that much, but others loved having a lack of control other than doodling, it just wasn't for me. That game the stylus as you put it compliments it, but with the dual Zelda DS releases and the Wii games too, they weren't much of a compliment and greatly a detriment to playing the games (not so much Skyward Sword, but the others definitely.) I can't say I'd give them a blank slate of approval though on their internal development (1st/2nd party) as they do foul up, or at least misjudge the market, but it's like a once a year thing among many projects, not a consistent trail of failure or they'd be finished.

I agree on the Yoshis Story being poor, just didn't want to pick on the obviously super short and flat game that it was, but I think I saw people(never touched it) saying the DS release of Yoshis Island was even worse and just straight boring. I had Touch N Go for awhile, and for a tech demo turned game it was fairly fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again, too bad, too. Take Nintendo's development skills, the framework that Yoshi's Island provided that had just came out a couple of years or so prior, their 2D platforming prowess in general, the power of the Nintendo 64, a game engine that seemed very capable, and the system's fine d-pad and it should've been a recipe for the greatest 2D platformer of the late 1990's and a contender for all-time. Instead, it's a dud.

That said, I thought Yoshi's Island DS was excellent. The innovation of switching babies didn't add anything, but it also didn't detract. And otherwise, they stuck extremely close to the template established by the original. If I had any criticism for it, it's that it seemed to be only about 2/3's the length of the original.

I think people criticized it simply for the lack of innovation, not that it wasn't a good game. Take it as a sort of level pack for the original and it's largely excellent.

Yoshi's New Island on the other hand is a definite C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm talking beyond the confines of this board too.
    So was I...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I'm not seeing that discontent from long-time fans. Hard to imagine a fan of platforming Mario titles not getting a big kick out of Super Mario 3D World, for instance. A game such as that is quality through and through.
    A lot of us are the long time fans. Those of us who played NES and SNES when it was new moved onto PSX/N64 and beyond which is when the quality started to drop. I still play their portables, because these have some mostly third party games I'm interested in. Some of their yearly/bi yearly first party titles like Super Mario 3D Land/World good, most aren't. Imo, Nintendo's best games aren't their constant rehashes, but some of the games they don't frequently revisit, games like Advance Wars, 2D Metroid, and Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem has been getting worse and worse each release so I've heard. I'm playing Awakening now, haven't played anything since Sacred Stones and I think it's a lot less enjoyable.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.