Thread: Fantastically Funny SEGA Homage, "Hi-sCool! Seha Girls"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Fantastically Funny SEGA Homage, "Hi-sCool! Seha Girls"

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyroll
    Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and Mega Drive reimagined as girls who have just enrolled in SeHaGaga Academy at Tokyo’s Haneda Ōtorii station. They are given an assignment needed to graduate by a suspicious teacher. To clear this requirement, the girls must enter the world of Sega games to graduate without incident.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seha_girls-c67abd71a903f65d1610cd26959e755e1412715434_full.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	7749

OK, so this write-up doesn't exactly do a stellar job on selling this show, but hear me out. Hi-sCool! Seha Girls (currently available for viewing on Crunchyroll, either as an ad-supported video stream or as ad-free, paid video stream) is a wonderfully funny show. Basically, it is about the personifications of the SEGA Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast attending at a SEGA school. They must pass exams to earn 100 tokens to graduate. To do so, they must enter the worlds of the games. Their first two challenges take place in Virtua Fighter and Space Channel 5. Expect to see a lot of cameos.

This show is more homage than parody. The SEGA references are numerous and will at least make you crack a smile. The more of a SEGA nerd you are, the more you will enjoy this show & the more uproarious your laughter will be! And even if (*gasp* and *GASP* again!) you know nothing of SEGA, as long as you like anime-style jokes, the humor in here is still pretty worthwhile and might make you laugh out loud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I hope the show is picked up for release over here and given a dub. I want to see the Game Gear, Sega CD and 32X anthropomorphized characters.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think I only got through half of the first episode before getting bored. It didn't spark my interest too much.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I want that 10 minutes of my life back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed this show a lot and have been watching the episodes on release.

I can see why others might now like it if they don't know that much about Sega history, but if you are a fan of Sega from back in the day you definitely owe it to yourself to watch a couple of the episodes. They only run about 12 minutes each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

The second episode dealing with Virtua Fighter was hilarious. The end of the third and the fourth episode with Space Channel 5 was funny also.

The school song, Dreamcast being clutzy with openings, the Saturn pulling out the twin stick and the Mega Drive not being as fast as the Saturn or Dreamcast due to a slower processor speed, the Dreamcast connecting to the internet via dialup.... All these little bits and pieces of gaming nods and cameos just bring a smile.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I think its gonna be a great show I loved the first episode! The episodes are short animation and designs are good enough. Loved the transformations (though a bit PG I understand why) love all the references to the games and company/console history I love. SEGA! Notice the SC3000 poster?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I thought the appearance of the Bonanza Bros. in episode 9 last week was pretty funny. They were trying to run out on their restaurant bill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

DiscoTek Media picked up the rights for this show, no release date yet. I didn't see any details as to what type of release it'll be. Most of their other recent announcements have been sub-only.

Seha Girls (Sega Hard Girls) complete series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E Nice View Post
    DiscoTek Media picked up the rights for this show, no release date yet. I didn't see any details as to what type of release it'll be. Most of their other recent announcements have been sub-only.

Seha Girls (Sega Hard Girls) complete series
    Yup, was just about to come in here and post this but you beat me to it. Also finally a legit unedited US release of Robot Carnival. That will probably just be the R2 release from a decade or so ago since it had the old Streamline dub on it as an alternate audio track.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've very glad to hear about an official disc-based U.S. release! Hopefully it will be priced in the $30 range, but anyway I will be picking up this one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So this is basically another rip off of Hyperdimension Neptunia?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

No. SeHa Girls is officially licensed, based on a light novel series, and was made in cooperation with SEGA, Yuji Naka, and more current and former luminaries from SEGA. It is an homage to SEGA and only SEGA. It is quite different from HN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

It took a long time but the Hi-sCool! Seha Girls Blu-Ray/DVD is finally set to be released this year, May 30. It appears it will contain some liner notes on Sega's history as well. https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/837885264596979712

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Woohoo! Finally. It's about time!