Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Sega Nomad Replacement “inner” Screen Needed/Repair info Request

Sega Nomad Replacement “inner” Screen Needed/Repair info Request..

I have this Sega Nomad ..My plans are to make it function correctly ..
    Sounds Great,Buttons Work,New Overlay-still has film on it..

The power supply port is iffy,loose...I’d like to replace that but need to locate the part...Others I have opened with this issue the solder wasn’t loose it was the square input port housing itself..
    I purchased the battery pack to also make it actually portable..but still want the power supply port to be right.

What I need is to find the inner Screen..I’m not sure exactly what it’s called..Can someone please lead me to the screen and or what it’s called.

I have opened and worked on these before but never the inner screen,I’m hoping it’s not a tough thing to swap..

This is the issue the nomad has ..(inner screen damage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems straightforward enough, but you'll need to take it apart and do some soldering. See http://nobitleftbehind.wordpress.com...nomad-lcd-mod/

High quality, modern LCD screens are cheap and plentiful thanks to all of the Raspberry Pi projects people are building.

If you get this to work, it will be way better than new. That original Nomad screen wasn't so great.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    It seems straightforward enough, but you'll need to take it apart and do some soldering. See http://nobitleftbehind.wordpress.com...nomad-lcd-mod/

High quality, modern LCD screens are cheap and plentiful thanks to all of the Raspberry Pi projects people are building.

If you get this to work, it will be way better than new. That original Nomad screen wasn't so great.

Thanks so much for the info...That is AWESOME!!!

.a bit to much for me to handle and the fear of ruining the system making a mistake..

I'd prefer to keep it original even if the picture sucks..

Looks like the original screen for this is impossible to get as I can't locate any..: (

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Thanks so much for the info...That is AWESOME!!!

.a bit to much for me to handle and the fear of ruining the system making a mistake..

I'd prefer to keep it original even if the picture sucks..

Looks like the original screen for this is impossible to get as I can't locate any..: (
    Replacing the original screen with an exact duplicate (OEM) would be harder, as the ribbon cable is attached directly to the motherboard, and would have to be desoldered. Pretty sure it's close to impossible at this point to source that particular part, too.

The risk of ruining the handheld is fairly minimal provided you take your time making your connections with a modern LCD screen (4:3, 3.5 inch TFT LCD), because you can leave the original screen alone and display the game on both screens to make sure the new display works. If everything looks good afterwards, remove the old screen, glue the new one in place.

Bear in mind that the build qualities of these modern LCDs are erratic because there's no standard, some won't even display the Nomad signal properly. Not to dismiss these as trash, just that people have ordered multiples of a screen from the same seller in identical housings and they often had different guts inside. So they will all have little variations, but the overall picture is going to be miles ahead of the original Nomad display.

If you decide to do this, you'll probably want to buy a few from different sellers, and test them using the Nomad's external video out port, to cherry pick the best display. At $15-$20 they are cheap enough to grab a few if you want to be serious about restoring the handheld.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I just want to thank you both for the incredible info...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'm surprised this hasn't been said but with a new screen your battery should last longer.
    With a direct 5v input like that it suggests that the replacement LCD I'd led back lit which uses a lot less juice than the original fluorescent backlit screen