Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what exactly is the big deal about non-greatest hits games?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So, what exactly is the big deal about non-greatest hits games?

I understand people like to have the black label games more because they look better on a shelf, but beyond that, I don't know why people are so anal about this. Lotsa my PS1 games are greatest hits, and I don't think they're worth any less then the black-label versions. Plus, they're the EXACT SAME GAME. I don't get it.

There's actually a collector on Youtube going for a complete PS1 greatest hits collection, and as a kid I remember trying to get games that were greatest hits, cuz chances are those were the best games. I just don't see why people are so hung up on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closest thing to a 'first print run' vs 'reprint' distinction video games have. Its a bit dumb I agree, and in truth many Greatest Hit releases can be rarer then their original counterpart (I think a game had to sell at least 1 million copies for a 'greatest hits' release anyway. So there are a few copies out there)
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Closest thing to a 'first print run' vs 'reprint' distinction video games have. Its a bit dumb I agree, and in truth many Greatest Hit releases can be rarer then their original counterpart (I think a game had to sell at least 1 million copies for a 'greatest hits' release anyway. So there are a few copies out there)
    Final Fantasy 7 greatest hits is rarer then the black label.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I think people like them better because of how they look on the shelf. I personally don't care unless the greatest hits version comes with all thE DLC on the disk in which case I will purposely look for it.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There's at least one case I've heard of--Gran Turismo 2--where the GH is actually superior because it corrects bugs that were present in the first release.

Some others also include additional content. Later releases of Resident Evil 2 (and, on the PS2, Silent Hill 2's GH includes the Restless Dreams scenario) for example.

I can understand wanting black labels for aesthetic or nostalgic reasons, but if your intent is to play, then get whatever you can find.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

People like having the original version, same with Re-releases on the nes,snes and genesis, the majesco releases are next to worthless for snes/genesis. GH,PC and Classic series are great if you just want to play the game, but I totally get it from a collecting point of view, you want the first version, which tends to be harder to find and mean more to most people. me? I collect all variants and am pretty happy with any, but I prefer the first releases every time.

Funny enough the GH version of SOTN is inferior, the two removed familars are completely unobtainable in the GH version, where you could use a gameshark to access them in the original release.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If I happen to end up with one of each by chance, I'll typically sell off the GH version, unless there's a gameplay difference. Packaging-wise, original looks nicer. That said, I don't go to any effort to replace my GH versions, so some are still around. I still have the same old GH Symphony of the Night that I bought back in '99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasnt aware FF7 GH is more rare.
    For me it doesnt really matter considering the prices of games these days

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I also am doubting FF7GH is rarer. I recall FF7 was one of the GH "launch" games, a few months after the original release.
    And it was still available in many stores before they stopped selling PS1 games in 2004. (got mine the Christmas before that with a PS2)

Majesco SNES games, though I can see wanting to avoid those. Cheap B&W manuals and really cheap labels that tear easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When I had PS1 stuff I'd never take a green label, but it's the same reason I don't like a gold seal (snes) or the ugly red PS3 cases -- they stand out as eyesores in a lined up stack of games. Also while sure, a few do fix bugs and other issues, many of them are straight reprints and it has been noted on stuff you see lesser quality labels, art, stickers, black and white/cheaper quality paper manuals, minimalist or lower quality ink on the CD tops. I just personally want nothing to do with it as I'd take durability over a measly tweak.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think there were some releases such as Final Fantasy Anthology, Chronicles, and Tactics that either had low print runs or sold few copies. It drove the values on those games up pretty high, so the greatest hits versions were made because there was still high demand for them. I think they did that with Disgaea as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'll chime in to say that in my experience, the Greatest Hits on PS1 also have another issue - less durability. Because the disc is just that smooth silver, it is more easily damaged than a normal disc with a printed label side. The label side is easier to scratch on a shiny smooth silver disc than one that has actual art and a rougher, tougher label side. The same rings true for audio CDs. If you want to store some disc only games in a travel case, don't go for Greatest Hits.

On PS2, PSP and PS, Xbox, Xbox 360 or any Nintendo systems, Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits, Player's Choice etc is only a cosmetic difference but if you don't like the red, silver or yellow colorations and gold ribbons as much as the original art then you tend to shy away from those.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Greatest Hits version of Jet Moto 2 is superior, it contains all the tracks from the first game an unlock -- with a better frame rate and analog controls.

Nasty green labels is the reason that collectors don't like them. Now that we are almost twenty years on, and much of the catalog is available for download, it's likely that only the collectors care.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If its a particular series, sometimes its nicer to have them all with the same label like Final Fantasy or Sly Cooper for instance. That could also mean an all-GH set. But I wouldn't go out of my way for it if there's no difference game-play wise (i.e.; Virtua Fighter 4 vs Evolution). As a gamer who only collects what he likes, it doesn't mean a whole lot to me honestly whether or not it is black label or no. But I would take it into consideration when selling the game.

I also doubt that the GH FF7 is rarer. That thing was on the store shelves for a longass time at Best Buy whenever I went there and they still had PS1 games. Same for the other FFs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

For me, it's just "OCD." For instance, I have one Player's Choice GameCube game, and the yellow label amongst the black just annoys me to no end.

As has been noted, sometimes the GH of a game is better due to bug fixes or extra content; I'll seek out that version if I know about it and deal with the OCD later.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I think there were some releases such as Final Fantasy Anthology, Chronicles, and Tactics that either had low print runs or sold few copies. It drove the values on those games up pretty high, so the greatest hits versions were made because there was still high demand for them. I think they did that with Disgaea as well.
    I have GH Anthology and there are definitely update file dates on the disc.
    I want to believe they fixed the infamous FFV save menu graphics corruption bug as I never saw it, but I'm not certain. (but I saw the bug right away on the PSN release )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I'll chime in to say that in my experience, the Greatest Hits on PS1 also have another issue - less durability... or any Nintendo systems...Player's Choice etc is only a cosmetic difference but if you don't like the red, silver or yellow colorations and gold ribbons as much as the original art then you tend to shy away from those.
    Actually the Player's Choice games for their cartridge systems are of poorer quality. By the time they started doing them is when they started to cheap out on their stickers removing the laminate and using cheaper ink. Often you'll find thumbs on the stickers will rub them bald (most notable on GB games) and if you try and clean them with anything other than water the ink will go watercolor all over the place. They're just cheapouts with Nintendo too, it's not just superficial gold ribbons. I won't be caught dead with those and wouldn't have it when I was grabbing up stuff a few years ago every week unless it was just thrown in with a package deal so I did have a GB game or two and one SNES game with the gold ribbon.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

They're ugly. I don't mind rereleases or best sellers in general, I just hate the Playstation Greatest Hits line because they're a fugly eye-sore on the shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me the extra content and bug fixes are the best reasons to get the Greatest Hits version. I don't mind the extra color band on the case cover knowing this, besides the initial "black label" is more common in most cases. There are quite a few Greatest Hits games that have extra content including adding a soundtrack disc. I prefer the Greatest Hits version since there might be unknown at time of purchase extra content.

On the other hand though rare, there are games that have REMOVED content from the initial release; the "Hot Coffee" content in the early Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for example. The one area that the initial release might be better is the thicker cover inserts (Fatal Frame series) and color versus black and white pages (some Gamecube and PS2 games) in some game manuals.

Special Edition Games Game List - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...398591#p398591
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

GTA: Vice City has *THREE* PS2 versions:

Original Version (V1.4)
    Double Pack Version (V2.0) - This came with a copy of GTA III and also had some bug fixes and removed the Tear Gas Grenades.
    Haitian-Friendly Version (V3.0) - This had a couple of additional tweaks but also altered the game script that removed references to Haitians due to protests within the Haitian-American community.

My FAQ over at GameFAQs goes into more detail about the versions.

As for GTA: San Andreas, in addition to removal of the Hot Coffee sequence they also fixed numerous bugs including the infamous Supply Lines bug (PS2) and the Off-Map Glitch (PC and Xbox).

I prefer the Double Pack version of Vice City and the Second Edition version of San Andreas.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."