Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, what exactly is the big deal about non-greatest hits games?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    All this talk about alternate cart shell colors has me wondering... what was the production split between blue carts and black carts of Bible Adventures for NES? I've had both but have no idea if one is more or less common than the other. I also have no idea which was the earlier print run or if they were simultaneous.
    I think with those 3rd party blue/black (color dreams, etc) nes games, the black cart shells are the rarer of the 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think they went from blue to black, but where you need to look is on a per game basis because some would have been run with more of one or the other. I remember that coming up before off site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Two reasons. One is some of us just have to have first runs of certain things, such as games and books. It's like first-printings on books. Same as systems and games. When I was looking for a PS1, I posted here asking what was the original box. I didn't want a variation.

The second reason is that many will correct bugs. I want to see the original game the way it was when it was released, bugs and all. Making a few tweets and calling it a "Greatest Hit" is like all the special editions George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't think I'd compare bugfixes to a George Lucas Special Edition.
    Bugs usually aren't part of the intended gameplay. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I don't think I'd compare bugfixes to a George Lucas Special Edition.
    Bugs usually aren't part of the intended gameplay. :P
    Well, imagine if they took out all the bugs in Super Mario Bros. with a "Greatest Hits" version on the NES. It would have ruined many amazing parts about the game. I know that's an extreme case of cool bugs, but still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Oh no doubt, that's how it goes with NA. They engineer a numbered release just for the entire purpose alone of having status and money behind it. There's no rational reason to limit the money you can make other than to prop up the value of a bootleg (which is what protos are, they're stolen goods often enough) so others will want it too and they'll pay to get whatever number they can down the road. The sleaze of old gaming behavior just widens as the years go in this decade. Eventually it'll implode.
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...hreadid=140067

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Donkey Kong Country for SNES had the map screen warp cheat taken out in its Player's Choice release. The one where you tap B when walking between two levels when the shape of the dots form an angle instead of a straight line.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bingo. If anything their crap is predictable (including going after the euro for freedom of expression.) Thanks to that being a numbered scam, you're better off just getting Rendering Ranger which says a lot since it's not cheap.

I don't think I've heard of the map jump thing on DKC before.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    It really shouldn't matter.

My copy of Revenge of Shinobi is from the "classic series" or whatever Sega called those rereleases of some of the original games. I don't care what it looks like on a shelf. For one, I have some games on a shelf and some in drawers so I really don't have a shrine that I stare at. Secondly, I collect Genesis games and there are a lot of weird colored boxes so there's really no uniformity.

My goal has always been to play the games. When I start caring what the carts or boxes look like then I need to find something better to do with my time.
    With Revenge of Shinobi there's a bit more than just box variants, they altered the game a few times with changing various sprites for enemies and bosses. The original version of the game is quite different from the later releases. For actually playing the game, it makes a difference to which version you own. Personally I haven't found the original version yet, I'm still hoping to come across one eventually.

Yup parasites alright. The same thing has now occurred with Retro City Rampage DX for PS4. The company made just 2000 physical releases of it, and it went for $25+4 shipping (I got one.) There are jerks online now trying to harm people who wanted it they cut them out of by selling it on ebay and the desperate are paying between $130-200 for it new with the pack-in fangamer zip bag with the extra little goodies. It's despicable.
    Just wait 20 years, with only 2000 copies made this title could eventually be worth 2K monies like Magical Chase and other games of similar rarities. Especially if the game is actually decent to play and not shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Two reasons. One is some of us just have to have first runs of certain things, such as games and books. It's like first-printings on books. Same as systems and games. When I was looking for a PS1, I posted here asking what was the original box. I didn't want a variation.

The second reason is that many will correct bugs. I want to see the original game the way it was when it was released, bugs and all. Making a few tweets and calling it a "Greatest Hit" is like all the special editions George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy.
    There's more than just experiencing bugs and glitches, I would think more like Ocarina of Time where the later releases changed some music and graphics in the game. With bugs, I'd rather game crashing bugs to be removed in most cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh it's a decent game if you're into 80s spoofing and an overhead view kind of GTA like game. I think it'll help keep the price up due to the teeny print run. I didn't know you could even order a run that small for the PS4 and get a license to do so.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Bingo. If anything their crap is predictable (including going after the euro for freedom of expression.) Thanks to that being a numbered scam, you're better off just getting Rendering Ranger which says a lot since it's not cheap.

I don't think I've heard of the map jump thing on DKC before.
    If you tab B at the right timing while going between the first two levels on the map screen, you will skip all the way to Vine Valley. There are a couple other warps that if I recall correctly don't take you as far. Only works in the non-Player's Choice version.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]