Thread: Anyone here a Diablo 3 Player? Would you want to be one (BF Deal)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Anyone here a Diablo 3 Player? Would you want to be one (BF Deal)?

I've had an interest in this one for awhile but floundered, then forgot about it. I got tipped off to a deal at Walmart.com (or in store today where the normally $40 game and $40 expansion packs are both just $15 each. You can get both for less than the cost of one of them, and it even beats out Blizzard's website at 20/ea (50% off.)

I finally popped for it, going to install it here likely tonight but I also snapped up LBP3 Plush Edition too so I don't know. I was ok with Diablo 1, hated the PC one but loved it on PS1 oddly enough but D2 I've played the crap out of over the years off and on and have owned it many times. This looks like a nice restart/continuation of that story from D2 so it should be fun and since the characters are saved online even with the new laptop I'm looking to get I won't have to worry about the character data.

Does anyone here play this one or have?

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I've never played it before but I did pick it up for the PS4. Looking forward to getting in it though, I've heard a lot of good reviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I almost did go with the PS4, but I have a 3 year old and my work at home office/room is shared by her most of the day she's home (not at school/napping) and there's little free time on my tv except in evenings so the laptop was the best choice. Price was so cheap at walmart it cost me the same as the deals going today on the PS4 version anyway ($15x2 or $30 for PS4.)

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I liked Diablo 2 for the PC but I've never played Diablo 3. What's going on with the folks over on Amazon? Their ratings for Diablo 3 are in the toliet? It's hard to believe a Diablo game could be that bad?

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-PC-...words=diablo+3
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Butt hurt crybabies? Too used to their LONG stretch of D2 being it and overly comfortable and totally resistant to any update/change?

I put a couple hours on it last night rescuing Cain and blowing up some undead getting up to like Lv5 or 6 if I remember right. It plays very well as is still super similar to the old game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Butt hurt crybabies? Too used to their LONG stretch of D2 being it and overly comfortable and totally resistant to any update/change?

I put a couple hours on it last night rescuing Cain and blowing up some undead getting up to like Lv5 or 6 if I remember right. It plays very well as is still super similar to the old game.
    Sounds good and at $15 compared to $32.99 on Amazon it's worth a try. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually most of those reviews are from when the game came out and was a buggy mess. People couldn't connect to the servers and since there was no offline mode couldn't play it. It was pretty bad when it came out. Most of those issues are now gone and the game has regained popularity due to Blizzard finally getting their shit together. The Amazon reviews are just old and never updated. I have it on PS4 and just bought the PC version as well. I love it on PS4 I just wanted a copy I could play on my laptop.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Actually most of those reviews are from when the game came out and was a buggy mess. People couldn't connect to the servers and since there was no offline mode couldn't play it. It was pretty bad when it came out. Most of those issues are now gone and the game has regained popularity due to Blizzard finally getting their shit together. The Amazon reviews are just old and never updated. I have it on PS4 and just bought the PC version as well. I love it on PS4 I just wanted a copy I could play on my laptop.
    That makes sense. The newer reviews are really good and the older ones from 2012 are the ones that stink.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play it off and on, it's a fun game. This last time when Seasons came out I got really into it, got a few hundred paragon levels and some decent-ish gear. I've found I have a hard time holding interest once it reaches the point where I'm just looking for one or two specific items, and I'll either start up a new character or put it down for awhile. Well worth grabbing at 50% off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Makes sense. Of all the dumb luck the night I tried to start it they were having server issues so it was like a 2012 rerun trying to get on there, but once I did it was solid and so far great. I'd have played it tonight but I found this insane deal on a real wood desk at office max for black friday weekend, plus I found another $15 off coupon and got taxed $71 a $180 desk but it took me like 4hours to do it and tear down my crappy glass and metal trash that was here. Now i"m finally midnight eating something and tired, still may turn it on though.

Like I said $15 instead of $40. You'd have to hate Diablo to not buy it at that price. Both packs cost 25% less than buying one of them at full price.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's a fun game. If you like to achievement hunt, grind endless levels and hunt down equipment for the best character build, you've easily got a few hundred hours of gameplay. If you're just interested in playing the single player for the purposes of...playing the game I guess, you've got about a six hour game unless you really dick around.

Can't attest to the price being good, my copy was a free gift from something WoW related a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

At one point, they had a real money auction house which was ruining the game experience. They did finally get rid of that. Still, I think Torchlight is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not much into hugely grinding, but I do like to unlock the maps entirely of whatever overworld, cave, dungeon, or whatever I'm in just so I can see it. I know your 6 hour estimate has to be short. I've got 2 into it so far or maybe a little more and I just got the crown so I can go kill the skeleton king. The game has like 4 acts and the addon puts a 5th in there so I know the stages have to get harder and more time consuming due to size.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The auction house was ruining the experience because the experience was bad during that patch. It was balls hard to get any gear decent enough to do anything beyond hard, the intention of the auction house was to end around that. Once they fixed the experience where you have a fair and balanced way to progress, yeah, no need for an auction house any more.

I agree that Torchlight/II are better games. More fluid, less fiddly, more fun.

The six hour estimate is short depending on your playstyle. I was able to clear the initially story in just under six hours (in fact, there are in game achievements for this), but I wasn't doing much in the way of exploring and got lucky with finding objectives. If you dick around, which is the really the way a game like this is supposed to be played, that number goes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok I follow you. I suppose if you get lucky/have guide and just steam through it I could see really anything with Diablo being fairly short, especially D3 when the auction was there to just buy up the good junk fast and steamroll the game.

Torchlight 1 and 2 are 75% off on Steam right now. Tempting, but I need to stay the course and take down what I paid for already, as if it won't be cheap again anyway as they're not new games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Torchlight 1 and 2 are 75% off on Steam right now. Tempting, but I need to stay the course and take down what I paid for already, as if it won't be cheap again anyway as they're not new games.
    Both games go on deep discount every major sale and we're just a few weeks away from the Holiday sale. Wait it out and pick them both up for $10, D3 will tide you over until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt. I'll try and keep it in mind, odds are I'll forget. :\

I already have a wishlist I'm waiting to go DEEP on (over 50%). Gauntlet, the new Tomb Raider and FF13-2 out shortly, Ys1+2, Ys Oath in Felghana, Half Minute Hero, Sid Meier's Civ Beyond Earth (aka Alpha Centauri 2 from the looks of it.)

Moments ago I just ordered my new laptop for the next 3-5 years, it'll run this stuff like gold.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No doubt. I'll try and keep it in mind, odds are I'll forget. :\

I already have a wishlist I'm waiting to go DEEP on (over 50%). Gauntlet, the new Tomb Raider and FF13-2 out shortly, Ys1+2, Ys Oath in Felghana, Half Minute Hero, Sid Meier's Civ Beyond Earth (aka Alpha Centauri 2 from the looks of it.)

Moments ago I just ordered my new laptop for the next 3-5 years, it'll run this stuff like gold.

What kind of laptop did you go with?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I went with this through xoticpc.com -- http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278s...ma-p-6985.html

Take that base unit. Click on specs, and then change these additions: 1TB 7200 HDD (no SSD), NVidia GeForce GTX980M (8GB RAM, DirectX 12 capable), 16 (8x2)GB RAM (room for 2 more up to 32), IC Diamond cooling paste (CPU+GPU), and I also threw a 3yr total (minus accident) warranty on it.

With black friday it also came with 2 free mousepads, shirt, lanyard and a 32GB USB Pen Drive and free shipping (they also don't charge tax in my state.)

I did months of research this was the best by far with Sager(Clevo.) You get the absolute most parts for the best price. Also the systems start as shells like the old days of building your own PC in a local shop, even the CPU+GPU are not soldered in, totally upgrade capable. The GPU is maxed, but the CPU could have cost me $880 more for a GeForce GTX4940MX at 3.1/4GHZ.)

As I see it, I maxed the video, 1/2 the RAM the right way so I can just buy 2 chips (not 4) later, and the CPU I have is 2.5/3.5GHZ, and I feel if I think the computer is 'slow' in like 3 years I could get the maxed chip for cheap at that rate and pop it in. The system is a snap to open up top and bottom for any maintenance an upgrades. I'll pop it open probably every 6-12mo just to blow out and wipe off the fans to keep it chilling with the way it is rigged up inside with them being large and supported with good copper tubing. I still have my 3 year old cooler master cooling fan/stand from this laptop I have now and it still is one of the best rated online so I'll just drop it on top of that.

With the way things are it's far easier going forward for me to be once again a PC gamer, something I really haven't been this entire century as I bailed on it almost entirely in the late 90s. This machine alone will last me a long time and the easy upgrades will give it even a longer life.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am glad you went with a Sager/Clevo setup. They are the best IMO. You also timed it well with the new Nvidia chips being released. I just got a 970 for my desktop and it kills everything I throw at it.