Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Super Street Figthter II with Japanese Names? Help!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What hurt it was the over compression of the voice samples (which weren't that perfect in the Jp version to begin with :P) as well of the change of some of them, and i don't mean the changes to Spiral Drill to Cannon Drill, i mean that they change Sagat's voice sample when he throws people with the old one from SF2 world warrior!, or that matter, Ryu & Ken share the same sample when they throw people but in different pitch, and that the voice samples of Ryu, Ken, Chunli are OVERLY compressed, seriously, Chun li sounds manish in the US version, and Ryu like a monster.

they also have lower volume if you know what i mean.

Call me nitpicker but i was so used to playing the japanese version because i used to have that one, and i was very young to adapt to the US version that i rented back when i was 10.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't call you a nitpicker. Let's say observant.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Wow, all these years and I had no idea of the audio differences between the US & JP versions. As much as the SFII ports are compared and dissected I've never once read that being mentioned.

Shoving leftover JP boards into US shells for the Mexican market is baffling. From my understanding Capcom was drowning in unsold English copies of this release so they must have really overproduced the Japanese version.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Double post
    Last edited by Az; 12-05-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a list of differences regarding the music and voices of the Japanese and English versions of SSFII for SNES.

Ok, so in the US version:

Some of the music uses different samples. Most notably Ryu's stage, Ken's stage, Zangief's stage, Guile's stage, and Cammy's stage for the worst. I also compared the American and Japanese versions of Blanka and Guile's ending themes each, and the American version seems to sound noisier.
    Ken uses a higher-pitched version of Ryu's throw voice, even though he had his own throw voice in the SFC version.
    Dhalsim's K.O. cry sounds different, perhaps at a lower pitch?
    Fei Long's stage and Ending Credits theme is one pitch higher than the SFC version.
    Ryu's throw voice sample was also changed, and the one used in the American version is also played when you pause the game.
    The only thing I like about the American SNES version, is that the announcer will say the names of the characters, and even an added "Versus" if you're playing in Tournament Mode. In the SFC version, the announcer always says "You Win" in 2-Player matches, and doesn't say anything at the VS screen in Tournament Mode.

Well, that's all I know for now.
    Source: a thread from the GameFaqs forums.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shoryuhado View Post
    Here is a list of differences regarding the music and voices of the Japanese and English versions of SSFII for SNES.

Source: a thread from the GameFaqs forums.
    likely a really old post from some guy who didn't put any tough.

All the music cues that guy mentioned actually are improved in the US version, with the only exception being Ryu's theme, seriously, pay attention to how the instruments play in both versions of Cammy's Theme and Guile's Theme, you'll see that the US versions don't sound flat and have decreasing and increasing guitar sound.

But like i said, the voice samples were hurt, tough i think it was more because the additions of the Announcer saying the character names.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...street+fighter
    According to monkspider's previous post on this cart he has one just like the one i own