Thread: Questions about Retro Duo compatibility

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions about Retro Duo compatibility

Earlier this year I got a Retro Duo 3.0 because I wanted to start playing more NES and Super Nintendo games. Ever since I've been getting games for it, but two games I'm a bit cautious about. Those two games are Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. I've heard that Super FX games work on the Duo, but they only ever seem to mention Super FX 1 games like Star Fox. The only mention of the Duo running Wolfenstein is an Amazon review from 2010 saying it doesn't work on the system, but doesn't specify which version of the Duo it doesn't work on.

Has anyone tried these games on a Retro Duo 3.0, and do they work?
    Thank you in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

THose two will work on any NTSC clone. The SNES port of Wolfenstien doesn't use any special hardware at all, and Doom uses the Super FX2 which is onboard the cart itself.

SNES clones will run 99.9% of all commercially available games. The only problematic games are PAL exclusives (which won't work on NTSC hardware anyway, regardless of if its a clone or not) and games with anti piracy measures built in such as EarthBound.

It's NES compatibility that's at issue with clones, because almost all of them still use NOACs designed in the early 90s, flaws still intact. As far as SNES compatibility goes, you pretty much have nothing to worry about.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

99% of the US games will work in a clone system for the SNES, but there are certain games depending on things if they'll work or not. Some of them will or won't run the SDD1 compressor chip SF Alpha 2 tite. SA1 games (pretty much the best SNES titles in the back 1/2 of its life) may or may not work, or need help to work because it was a bit of a security chip. FX games can be hit and miss as well, they will either work, bomb hard, or may run for a bit and reset on a game by game basis.

I've used a few systems at retail to see this, I also went through a lot deciding awhile back on the RDP or the Supaboy for a portable SNES. Those 2 handhelds both won't run certain stuff at all, or with issues. The Supaboy is the better unit, but it won't run SFA2 or Yoshi's Island, and Stunt Race resets after exactly 5min as if it were on a demo kiosk timer. SA1 games work like 20% of the time, but if you boot with one game in the slot, hold reset w/power staying on, and swap to a SA1 game - it works 100%. It's all just a mixed bag of recycled crap because it's cheaper to reuse and not really tweak for cost reasons.

The only clone you can buy that'll actually do the most, is the emulator box Retron5 since they can just keep patching fixes into the firmware which a clone chip system can't do.