Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2014 Finds

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default December 2014 Finds

Brand new PS2 50 Cent Bulletproof, wrapped in the mini bulletproof vest for its protection-$5.99 at Goodwill.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is awesome. I picked up four 5-screw NES games hoping to get a famicom adapter and struck out.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    That is awesome. I picked up four 5-screw NES games hoping to get a famicom adapter and struck out.
    Its been awhile since I looked into these but isn't it a sure bet by looking at the pins with certain games?

Here is my latest pick up. Made even more relevant with the passing of Ralph Baer. Original Odyssey, only appears to be missing play money and instruction booklet. It did not have the plastic battery tray so I stole one and a RF cord out of an extra Odyssey 2000 I have. Couldn't get the ball to show up so changed the capacitors on the ball spot module and got it working this afternoon. Played some Haunted House and Tennis. Really like the organizer case it comes in, makes storage and moving it sheer pleasure. (4:19)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	7773
    $120 Craigslist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was accidentally still posting in the Nove,ber thread...oops!

Anyways, A link to the past and Super Mario Kart $30 for both
    Super Mario sunshine in the case for $5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Its been awhile since I looked into these but isn't it a sure bet by looking at the pins with certain games?

Here is my latest pick up. Made even more relevant with the passing of Ralph Baer. Original Odyssey, only appears to be missing play money and instruction booklet. It did not have the plastic battery tray so I stole one and a RF cord out of an extra Odyssey 2000 I have. Couldn't get the ball to show up so changed the capacitors on the ball spot module and got it working this afternoon. Played some Haunted House and Tennis. Really like the organizer case it comes in, makes storage and moving it sheer pleasure. (4:19)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	7773
    $120 Craigslist
    Wow, I would probably crap my pants if I picked that one up. Well done! I got kind of close to buying one years ago, but it didn't happen. I'd love to come across one in the wild some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was just alerted to a new game store in my area, so I checked it out. Bought loose copies of Laser Volley (Taiwanese pirate/import) and Sentinel (PAL format game) for the Atari 2600, and Black Hole for the TI-99/4A (very late third-party release). Plus a grocery bag. A total of $37.84.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Like a grab bag grocery bag?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by orangest View Post

Brand new PS2 50 Cent Bulletproof, wrapped in the mini bulletproof vest for its protection-$5.99 at Goodwill.
    Was that the game with the "plotline" of someone stole 50 cents bling so he goes to kill them and take it back?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Found a loose PSP 3000 at an area Goodwill for 24.99. Borrowed my gf's daughter's charger, charged it up, plays great. Also picked up a new PS4 controller for 29.99 on the Sears website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Like a grab bag grocery bag?
    Nope, just a reusable grocery bag with an assortment of game controllers on it and the store's name. This county will ban plastic grocery bags at the end of 2015, and their's looked cool.

Went to a flea market today, and bought a boxed copy of Jumbo Jet Pilot for the Atari 400/800. I don't think I've seen a used Atari computer game in the box in probably two decades or more, and this one's a third-party game at that. I'm always excited to find any Atari 8-bit stuff in the wild, as rare as that is.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit, been waaaaay too long since I last posted here.

Anyhoo, scored a bit of SEGA master system stuff after some SMS donations to our local gamestore:

Rambo (SMS) cart - $3
    The Ninja (SMS) cart - $5

The only other game that interested me there was Rambo III, but they wanted $6 for a cart only so I passed.

However, the REAL gem of the search was when I stumbled upon this beauty in the glass case:

Power Base Converter - $17

I've been looking for one of these stupid things for YEARS and the price just keeps going up. I literally shit a brick when I saw the pricetag and wasted no time in ensuring I bought that sucker immediately. There's some weird plastic dent in the bottom and something inside it rattles, but hey, it works perfectly!

With this, I can put away the master system I don't own and play my own collection on my own hardware, as well as saving MAJOR space in my console setup, tablewise and power cord wise. Yeah I lose snail maze and F-16 fighting falcon but I frankly don't care about either, and the benefits far outweigh the setbacks.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on getting a Power Base converter at such a good price. We had one, but our interest in physical SMS cart collecting has dwindled due to the number of games on other systems we have, plus most of the standout titles becoming available as downloads.

I picked up a few good items this past week.

The Lion King and Toy Story (Genesis, CIB)
    Ranma 1/2 Movie: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China (Viz/Pioneer DVD)

$15 for all

I have the Ranma movies and OVAs left over from Viz's original release, as they have yet to get an official re-release announcement. Picking up the re-release of the TV series because of the improved quality and promise of taking up less shelf space. Hoping to help someone out with this spare movie DVD. Maybe a spare copy of the OVAs and movie 2 will fall into my lap eventually.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yeah, you can tell if it has an adapter by looking at the lines on the pins. Cartridges with the adapter will have the lines coming out of the middle of the pins, carts without adapters will have the lines off to the side.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 12-15-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice job on the Odyssey score Dashopepper. Those don't turn up too often anymore and that's a good price. I know the feeling too, in 2011 I stumbled across one by accident on Craigslist that would make your deal seem like a mortgage payment but I won't rain on your parade.

NES carts with Famicom adapters are also heavier than standard carts as well which is another giveaway.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post

NES carts with Famicom adapters are also heavier than standard carts as well which is another giveaway.
    I can never tell by weight. If I am remembering correctly all fami adapters are in 5-screw games with no "notches" at the top of the cases. So basically, the earliest released games in the earliest version of a NES cart. I could be wrong on this, but it's how I've always narrowed down my search and I've yet to find one NOT in one of these cases.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

that's true and a good way to narrow it down but to further pin it down is the gold connectors will peak to one side instead of the center

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    If I am remembering correctly all fami adapters are in 5-screw games with no "notches" at the top of the cases.
    5-screw cases never had the notches. I don't know if you're saying they did or not.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    5-screw cases never had the notches. I don't know if you're saying they did or not.
    I knew that the converters were almost always (or always for all I know) in 5 screw cases without notches. I didn't actually know that the 5 screw cases never had notches, so yay learned something.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both of these are from this week. The Intellivision I found on craigslit. Usually I don't check out Intellivisions as I have most system variations (Reg, III, Super Pro, Sylvania, II, Sears) and a ton of games. The only reason I clicked was because it was in my town. Looking through the pictures I spotted the Congo Bongo. It had sat on CL for nearly 3 days. System turns on but must have a bad chip, garbage on screen and crashes. So I'll probably store it for parts. I swapped some of the games that were in better shape then mine but I had all but 2 already boxed.

The Genesis and Atari are from the trash. My brother-in-law is a garbage man and gave them to me for Christmas today. Everything is in nice condition and works. Sega is an early non-tmss model and the controller with the red buttons is really nice. Plus the kid had some decent taste in games.

Also had my best pick up of all time last Sunday, my baby boy! 8 lbs 12 oz 20'' little cutie.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Both of these are from this week. The Intellivision I found on craigslit. Usually I don't check out Intellivisions as I have most system variations (Reg, III, Super Pro, Sylvania, II, Sears) and a ton of games. The only reason I clicked was because it was in my town. Looking through the pictures I spotted the Congo Bongo. It had sat on CL for nearly 3 days. System turns on but must have a bad chip, garbage on screen and crashes. So I'll probably store it for parts. I swapped some of the games that were in better shape then mine but I had all but 2 already boxed.

The Genesis and Atari are from the trash. My brother-in-law is a garbage man and gave them to me for Christmas today. Everything is in nice condition and works. Sega is an early non-tmss model and the controller with the red buttons is really nice. Plus the kid had some decent taste in games.

Also had my best pick up of all time last Sunday, my baby boy! 8 lbs 12 oz 20'' little cutie.
    Congrats on the nice finds, and even more on the kid! Now go get some sleep.