Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bungie just slapped Destiny owners in the face with a bungie cord with Destiny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Bungie just slapped Destiny owners in the face with a bungie cord with Destiny

Here's the source: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/...isting_content

Long story short -- when they just put out the other day a new DLC package, they took away content people who bought the base game had access to and must now pay a fee (the DLC) to get it back. The Heroic and Nightly strikes are now only for DLC expansion pack owners, formerly for all. The snipe is worse as they're the two best ways to gather rare goods and and items including cryptarch engram rewards to get the better/best gear of the game to properly level your guardian to handle the actual game at the later levels offered. Now it's turned into a slog, much like a microtransaction tablet game where you can take months or days buying added gems to get the content.

I'm looking at likely now selling off Destiny as I find this repulsive. I shouldn't have parts of a game I paid full retail for snatched away if I don't pay them more money to re-enable it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so glad I skipped Destiny. I played the beta for about 5 hours and it got boring so I cancelled my preorder.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Destiny sucks. That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wish I hadn't found the story about the game compelling because while it is there, so much gets in the way of just slowing it down to the point of annoyance that it could have been far greater with what I said before -- easy open chat to setup parties to go on the hunt. I've got 6 other good PS4 games aside from it, hardly a loss. I intend to sooner than later add Rayman Legends and COD Ghosts to it replacing the WiiU copies I had.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I refuse to buy a game that requires you to be online. Like most here I collect and like to come back and play the,later, these games have a time limit u til the servers shut down and they are absolutely junk. No thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Destiny sucks. That is all.
    EVERYTHING is TERRIBLE.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This is just gross. Things like this are why I am dragging my feat joining the current gen.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've loved my PS4, except for Destiny. Caused me to reevaluate what kinds of games I will allow myself to buy...it was a horribly repetitive game with nothing even close to an open world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Destiny is making me more careful buying stuff too. I even ignored the media and went for the buyers who liked it as that tends not to fail, it did this time because it took weeks for the shine to wear off and expose the turd under the surface polish. Stuff like this makes me run more and more away from buying new games when they're new and more into waiting a month or however long it takes for a 20% or more price cut. Then of course you have some franchises that milk the hell out of DLC where some of it is actually functionally useful to the main game (like Mass Effect 2) so you would be wise to wait on a game of the year compilation when they give up nickel and diming people. It seems you can still get $35 +/-5 on ebay at this rate for a nice used copy of Destiny so I'll probably snap some pics and ditch it here shortly. I could use the dough to get some stuff I did enjoy which was on that WiiU I sold that's on PS4 or PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Stuff like this makes me run more and more away from buying new games when they're new and more into waiting a month or however long it takes for a 20% or more price cut.
    why in $deity's name would you not do this
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I rarely if ever buy a game when it first comes out anymore, unless I know for a fact I'd love and complete it like an Uncharted game from Sony. Aside from that usually Target will have sales or sometimes others online cutting the value that much or more -- if not I wait.

I cross posted this elsewhere, it's intriguing to see the difference in response here from racketboy. Over there I'm getting shit all over because I'm out of touch and that hating DLC is so 2006. Supposedly it's bad to question DLC because that's how games are made now so they can make money on them. Don't even think that perhaps they're living in an outdated bad business model on consoles while on the PC you can have small or large budget games that do just fine without squeezing people dry for maybe in the end 50% or 200% over the price of the original game in download bits that a decade ago would have been included with the game. Remember that crap a few years ago EA got in for the Tiger Woods Golf game where they gave just a few courses and golfers for full price, then charged like another $100+ in DLC fees to get the rest -- stuff a few years earlier would have all entirely been on the disc for one price. The game industry is at fault, but it's like some people feel people like myself who won't buy DLC are the bad guys because otherwise supposedly the games due to inflation should cost like $90/pop today. I put that the fault is with the companies who keep upping their costs with more fluff and bullcrap instead of being practical while knowing they can make a full game, sell it as a full game, then hold back the rest so they can squeeze more out of people as they're already on the hook.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can understand dlc, hell I even welcome it when it enhances the game. Mario Kart 8, Skyrim, and The last of us are recent games that have done DLC right. However, with destiny, you have bungie literally locking away part of the game and making you pay for it later. In my mind, that is just wrong; I will never support the practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't support it when it isn't just optional fluff. When you're introducing added worlds, added courses, stages, whatever that rightly should have been included in the package in the first place as things were for decades, I have a huge problem with that. If you're just doing crap like on android where you pay and get some cheaty item to speed it along, different uniforms/colors for a character, optional music to throw into a game if you want new/different jams on the in game radio, junk like that I am totally alright with. Stuff like Destiny, or like with Bioware and Mass Effect where the 3rd game got strung out with a bad ending then all this added 'real ending' crap for a charge or ME2 where total worlds/side campaigns were left out to re-bundle it as a total package later thats just filthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

I don't support it when it isn't just optional fluff. When you're introducing added worlds, added courses, stages, whatever that rightly should have been included in the package in the first place as things were for decades, I have a huge problem with that. If you're just doing crap like on android where you pay and get some cheaty item to speed it along, different uniforms/colors for a character, optional music to throw into a game if you want new/different jams on the in game radio, junk like that I am totally alright with. Stuff like Destiny, or like with Bioware and Mass Effect where the 3rd game got strung out with a bad ending then all this added 'real ending' crap for a charge or ME2 where total worlds/side campaigns were left out to re-bundle it as a total package later thats just filthy.
    Wasn't the expanded endings to ME3 free? I didn't think you had to pay for those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really don't recall. I thought they charged for all the added content that came out for that one.

Either way Destiny was a bust of a game with all the flaws, I sold it about a week ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The expanded endings were part of a free patch, to replace:

THE SHEPARD IS LEGEND GO BUY DLC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So then I guess it was pay first, mass protest over that mass effect of fury it caused, and then it was free ending which still fairly sucked since people still complained.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

this is destined to fail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Here's the source: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/...isting_content

Long story short -- when they just put out the other day a new DLC package, they took away content people who bought the base game had access to and must now pay a fee (the DLC) to get it back. The Heroic and Nightly strikes are now only for DLC expansion pack owners, formerly for all. The snipe is worse as they're the two best ways to gather rare goods and and items including cryptarch engram rewards to get the better/best gear of the game to properly level your guardian to handle the actual game at the later levels offered. Now it's turned into a slog, much like a microtransaction tablet game where you can take months or days buying added gems to get the content.

I'm looking at likely now selling off Destiny as I find this repulsive. I shouldn't have parts of a game I paid full retail for snatched away if I don't pay them more money to re-enable it.
    Old news, but I really wish I would have read the article before just blindly agreeing with it. Bungie didn't lock away anything. If you look at the screenshot, the nightfall for that week, which is the same as the weekly, was the DLC strike to take down Omnigul. The strikes rotate week to week, and if you don't have the DLC, you won't be able to do that specific strike. You would have to wait until next week to get one that you had access to.

Honestly, after playing it for two months now, I absolutely love this game. I kind of jumped on the bandwagon that it probably sucked because everyone was saying it was a huge letdown, but then my friend convinced me to try it, and I can't put it down. I will agree that you need real life friends playing; if you don't, the game gets boring fast and becomes devoid of content. This is a social MMOG. The content is going to change, things are going to get nerfed/buffed, and new content will be added that players will not have access to if they do not purchase the expansions. I can understand if you don't like the game, but Bungie did not take away any content that you already had available to you. That claim is absolutely false.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had no one to play with so I got fed up with it real quick and sold it. They don't make it really easy in game either because if you don't have an existing friend list to pull people from with a total neglectful lack of general lobby to form teams or clans/guilds to hit places it makes it a real bummer, or a crap shoot with random invites if you get someone good not.