Thread: Whats the deal with NeoGaf?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats the deal with NeoGaf?

I was just wondering how so many rumors and inside scoops are usually from this forum. I also read complaints about the members. Also how they signed up and I think they got rejected. Who gets rejected from a forum sign up? When I signed up they asked for a special kind of email or something. I put my colleges and it took I think a couple of months to get "accepted" lol what the hell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not sure about the mail bit, maybe they're oversized. I think they get a lot of this news because it's a massive site so just the numbers are in their favor. The complaining though I've noticed for years is a mix of staff and regulars who just act like dicks to other people, so it's kind of an immaturity cesspool of garbage mixed with some useful stuff. Also due to the massive size if you actually were to regular there the time involved would be like a second job I imagine reading and responding to any interesting posts.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Self-importance reins there.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's one of those forums where a lot of industry people are members and post crap there shortly before it gets out to the greater web.
    The member backlog/rejection thing comes from making sure that anyone who is requesting an account isn't a complete troll or someone who has already been banned. That said, I don't completely get either. There was a post a few weeks about one of their mods who went through and banned all the accounts that had been accepted in the previous week but had not yet made at least 10 non-"me too!" posts and everyone was ok with it.

Despite it being a large community that anyone can just pop over and read, it operates like a large private community. You're either know what the community is like and are willing to play the game, or you have an unpleasant time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You gotta take the good with the bad when it comes to Neogaf.

There can be a hive mentality over there, but they also normally come up with all the latest info and news way before anybody else. I usually check it at least once a day to see the latest news and rumors and stuff. But yeah, gotta take everything with a grain of salt, and understand that the opinions formed have a borg-like quality to them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It seems like a good board to get early info on things, but it seems like every thread has 10 pages of single sentence posts. The thread will be: "New (random game) coming out"

then you have 10 pages of this:

"can't wait"

"awesome"

"looks fun"

"meh"

"buying day 1"

Just seems like you have to skim through a lot of posts like that, in order to get any real info on a game. Of course that isn't always the case for every thread, and I really haven't spent much time reading over there. Just a first impression I got. It just seems like a lot of material to go through, and if you haven't read the thread from the first page, you may not understand what they are talking about on the 20th page. So you end up having to weed through all the pages that read like the example I gave above. Again, just a first impression I got, as I haven't spent much time over there.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NeoGaf is one of the largest circlejerk sites I have ever visited. I also need to echo the one word replies drive me insane. If you criticize the site or even the topic at hand you are either temporarily banned or permanently banned. Nothing special except they have a large user base with devs that can leak (advertise) which makes the community feel they are on the inside. When they are really just being sold something and are too stupid to realize it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    NeoGaf is one of the largest circlejerk sites I have ever visited. I also need to echo the one word replies drive me insane. If you criticize the site or even the topic at hand you are either temporarily banned or permanently banned. Nothing special except they have a large user base with devs that can leak (advertise) which makes the community feel they are on the inside. When they are really just being sold something and are too stupid to realize it.
    Disagree. I personally love NeoGaf and have been a member for a number of years now. Unlike other forums, people seem very willing to express strong opinions and they don't tolerate a lot of BS or company-line type posts. Nobody is being sold anything and the leaks that appear on Neo Gaf are often similar to those on other forums or news sites, with the difference being that on Neo Gaf people aren't afraid to criticize or advocate for some particular perspective. It's not for everyone, but you're kidding yourself if you think the industry is using Neo Gaf as some elaborate focus group or marketing tool.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Disagree. I personally love NeoGaf and have been a member for a number of years now. Unlike other forums, people seem very willing to express strong opinions and they don't tolerate a lot of BS or company-line type posts. Nobody is being sold anything and the leaks that appear on Neo Gaf are often similar to those on other forums or news sites, with the difference being that on Neo Gaf people aren't afraid to criticize or advocate for some particular perspective. It's not for everyone, but you're kidding yourself if you think the industry is using Neo Gaf as some elaborate focus group or marketing tool.
    Ok, ask anyone banned for bringing up Gamergate or criticizing it. Ask Boogie2988 about his account on NeoGaf. Oh that's right they banned him.

https://twitter.com/boogie2988/statu...87286783279105

Why wouldn't they use it as a marketing tool? That seems silly to me that they would completely ignore such a large community of gamers and considering that people in the industry are on there is an indication that they do use it. Anyway, you can all Google it yourselves if you like. Is everyone on there trolling and causing trouble? Of course not. I feel the heavy handed politically motivated mods are something of a turn off. If you like NeoGaf that is great but please do not pretend it is a utopia
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Ok, ask anyone banned for bringing up Gamergate or criticizing it. Ask Boogie2988 about his account on NeoGaf. Oh that's right they banned him.

https://twitter.com/boogie2988/statu...87286783279105

Why wouldn't they use it as a marketing tool? That seems silly to me that they would completely ignore such a large community of gamers and considering that people in the industry are on there is an indication that they do use it. Anyway, you can all Google it yourselves if you like. Is everyone on there trolling and causing trouble? Of course not. I feel the heavy handed politically motivated mods are something of a turn off. If you like NeoGaf that is great but please do not pretend it is a utopia
    You're right, people get banned on Neo Gaf. It prevents a lot of the trolling and fanboyism that seems to pervade most other video game forums I frequent. That's one of the good things about it. The mods are heavy handed, but again I prefer that to no mods or weak mods. Neo Gaf certainly is no utopia, but it is a great community if you like video games and passionate discussions that are factually based as opposed to just opinions.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You're right, people get banned on Neo Gaf. It prevents a lot of the trolling and fanboyism that seems to pervade most other video game forums I frequent. That's one of the good things about it. The mods are heavy handed, but again I prefer that to no mods or weak mods. Neo Gaf certainly is no utopia, but it is a great community if you like video games and passionate discussions that are factually based as opposed to just opinions.
    Google, "TYLER MALKA", he is such a great person I would love to support him and all he does. Like I said if you enjoy NeoGaf that is great, but don't disagree with anything and you will fit right in. I have made my stance known and I am out of this discussion. Happy Gaming!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You're both right, if we're being frank.
    No forum is perfect and the larger a community is, the large both the good and bad are.
    You'll find just as much bullshit and mindless fanboy-chatter as you will actual decent discussion.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I'm a member there as well, the only issue I have is the lack of forums. Everything is shoved in two main forums making it nearly impossible to find good threads. Just my .02

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So it wasn't just me that felt it was impossible to keep up on there. It needs organization badly.