Thread: A modern take on retro - for Android

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A modern take on retro - for Android

I have to say firstly, I am very cynical of mobile games. The trend I have seen is horrifying(micro-transactions, a lack of challenge etc). So it is quite hypothetical that I released a mobile game myself. I won't be making that mistake again.

But I am proud of the game I have made. I built it with the goal to provide players with a challenging, yet fun experience. I wanted that feeling of having to repeat levels and improve your skills in order to progress.

I think I have achieved this, but would like your opinions.

If you feel like a little bit of a challenge, try it out and let me know what you think:

Pixel Power - Google Play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not bad, minimalist but it works. I think the clock is slightly cheap though considering it's 100% reset if you end up dying. My hand blocks the screen enough that I can't keep up with wave 10 so I can't get any further. It's just the shortcoming of non-gamepad touch gaming...screen blockage and slightly slower response which is a shame. It's a good game but is it only 15 stages?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Not bad, minimalist but it works. I think the clock is slightly cheap though considering it's 100% reset if you end up dying. My hand blocks the screen enough that I can't keep up with wave 10 so I can't get any further. It's just the shortcoming of non-gamepad touch gaming...screen blockage and slightly slower response which is a shame. It's a good game but is it only 15 stages?

Thank you for your feedback.

I have been throwing around the idea of making wave 10 a little less challenging, based on a lot of the feedback I have been getting. It is a delicate balance of making sure it is difficult but achievable. I have plans to expand the game to more stages if it gains popularity. I decided it was better to get it out before I committed to many more levels.

But thank you for your advice, I will take it on board in future updates of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No problem. I made a few attempts at it before making that post. The best I got was I think about 15sec before the stage ends. The problem is that it gets far too intense while not taking into account the screen being blocked by a big old hand in the way. I tried even narrowing the hand and just using my pinky and it still caused enough of a blockage I had to focus moving the hand out of the way at times to see if stuff was coming instead of consistently shooting. If the game had a joystick or someone had a really long stylus that could help too if their phone/tablet had that.

It's not the first time I've had that happen, Geometry Wars on the DS hit a wall using the stylus so I had to resort to the d-pad +4 face buttons.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem. I made a few attempts at it before making that post. The best I got was I think about 15sec before the stage ends. The problem is that it gets far too intense while not taking into account the screen being blocked by a big old hand in the way. I tried even narrowing the hand and just using my pinky and it still caused enough of a blockage I had to focus moving the hand out of the way at times to see if stuff was coming instead of consistently shooting. If the game had a joystick or someone had a really long stylus that could help too if their phone/tablet had that.

It's not the first time I've had that happen, Geometry Wars on the DS hit a wall using the stylus so I had to resort to the d-pad +4 face buttons.
    Yeah that can be a problem in these types of games. Often compatibility across all the different types of devices is difficult.

What sort of device were you playing on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Google Nexus 7 (2013 version.) The 7" screen is a nice bridge between the phone size and the big/huge 10+ inch stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google Nexus 7 (2013 version.) The 7" screen is a nice bridge between the phone size and the big/huge 10+ inch stuff.
    Oh awesome, that was the exact device that I developed this game on. Great tablet.

I am interested how you played the game? Did you hold one hand on either side of your tablet and pressed from the side of the screen?

One of the major areas of improvement I have to make is better teaching the player how to play. From my observations, players have many different playing styles. Some tap from the top, some don't hold down, some hold it from the side, some hold it with one hand and tap it with their finger.

I have learnt that these different styles can change the experience of the game play. The intended way to play is to hold it in two hands and tap the left/right of the screen, lifting off the hand and tapping for the enemies that come from the top/bottom of the screen.

I'll definitely put a lot more focus on this in my next game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got a leather fold case with a detachable bluetooth keyboard on the inside flap that magnetically sticks to it (magnet also on/off the tablet.)

i had it folded over and held it with my left and tried using my pointer or pinky to see if it would differ with wave 10 giving me trouble when I tried it. I also tried to put it on my lap, and also folding over the kickstand for it to stand up at an angle -- no help. What I tried in controlling it from wave1 forward was going between things. First I was more trying to tap where the target was, then I found leading the target was faster, and fastest was keeping the finger over the turret or just off of it and doing tiny circles for the best speed while leading the shot to see where the bullets went. I basically in the end used it like an arcade joystick/spinner like smash tv/robotron where I swung around the fastest to get it there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a leather fold case with a detachable bluetooth keyboard on the inside flap that magnetically sticks to it (magnet also on/off the tablet.)

i had it folded over and held it with my left and tried using my pointer or pinky to see if it would differ with wave 10 giving me trouble when I tried it. I also tried to put it on my lap, and also folding over the kickstand for it to stand up at an angle -- no help. What I tried in controlling it from wave1 forward was going between things. First I was more trying to tap where the target was, then I found leading the target was faster, and fastest was keeping the finger over the turret or just off of it and doing tiny circles for the best speed while leading the shot to see where the bullets went. I basically in the end used it like an arcade joystick/spinner like smash tv/robotron where I swung around the fastest to get it there.
    I think the way you ended up using it was a good technique. I have found that the different control mechanisms have different strengths/advantages/disadvantages.

Part of the fulfillment I think is finding those other control mechanisms, but from the feedback I have got I believe wave 10 is slightly too difficult. A lot of players are getting stuck on it.

I will look into releasing an update with a slightly less challenging version of wave 10.

Thank you for all your help so far, it has taught me a lot on how I can improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good, it wasn't just me. It's hard but manageable until the last minute, in particular the last 30 seconds if I remember right. Just too much from too many angles at such a speed you can't keep up with the hand in the way.