Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alex Kidd or Mario...?

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Legend Of Zelda had a battery pack in 1986.
    No, it had a battery pack in 1987. In 1986 it was a disk based game in Japan that saved right on the disk, it wasn't until brought to the US the following year that it had a battery added.

As for Alex Kidd, I had fun playing his first game, but he was never in Mario's league, and none of the other games in the series were any good (I'll have to check out Shinobi Kidd again, but I don't remember liking it, either). The Genesis game, oh yuck, it's no wonder Sonic was able to come in and completely take over after that garbage. And I'm not a big Sonic guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Mario is proving tough to beat. How about Alex Kidd vs. Sonic?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I tried a few of the Alex Kidd game's that were on the Genesis Collection CD (360) and absolutely hated them. The only game I've enjoyed so far has been Alex Kidd in High Tech World and that's pretty much just a manic mansion type adventure game. I don't get the hype behind the series.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I suppose it's a you'd have to have been there sort of thing. I don't think anyone would champion most Alex Kidd games as being timeless or anything. There are a lot of things I feel that way about, like 80s action cartoons. There are a lot of games and cartoons that I didn't catch the first time around and still enjoy, but others that I experience for the first time now and hate, but I sort of think I may have appreciated with the benefit of nostalgia.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Alex Kidd or Mario...?

I enjoy the platforming Alex Kidd games, particularly enchanted castle and Shinobi world (which is fantastic if you haven't played it, despite being kind of short.).

But as far as ingenuity and depth of gameplay, the ak games can't hold a candle to the smb series. Anybody who isn't a nostalgia-blinded fanboy would acknowledge this. Super Mario bros involves much more technique, and offers more replay value than Alex Kidd in miracle world. I would argue that that's just an objective fact.

That doesn't mean the Alex kid games are bad, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I tried a few of the Alex Kidd game's that were on the Genesis Collection CD (360) and absolutely hated them. The only game I've enjoyed so far has been Alex Kidd in High Tech World and that's pretty much just a manic mansion type adventure game. I don't get the hype behind the series.
    You didn't Miracle World at all? Playing it in 1987 was just so different. Not sure how I'd feel trying it so many years later.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Alex Kidd or Mario...?

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    You didn't Miracle World at all? Playing it in 1987 was just so different. Not sure how I'd feel trying it so many years later.
    I tried it again recently and it's still fun. Enchanted castle is better, though. You should give it another chance, Daria.

Edit: the lost stars sucks balls, btw but it's pretty. Apparently there's an arcade version too, but I've never played it.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 03-02-2015 at 10:22 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I played them in the '80s and in the last few months. I still enjoy Miracle World in spite of its flaws (not as much as Mario, but it's fun), but Enchanted Castle, Lost Stars... not so much. I feel like my enjoyment relies a lot more on nostalgia in this case, but Sega in the '80s was at their best in the arcade, not the Master System.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No doubt, it has to be Mario. Alex Kidd is nowhere near as interesting as the original Mario games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic is way past cool, but...I present the new Alex Kidd in Miracle World courtesy of W-Orks on Deviantart:

http://w-orks.deviantart.com/art/Ale...orld-411354312

I'd buy that for $1, heck more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Now that is some interesting art. If they game were that cool, and didn't have the jan ken pon crap in there I'd be sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don`t mind either but get bored of Mario very quickly,especially the ones where you can go around levels picking up secrets and stuff,not really my scene as I would rather just get from A-Z and get to the end of a level never to return lol,as a Master System owner I have good memories Of Alex Kidd In Miracle world and consider it to be still more interesting than many of the more recent Mario games or any after Super Mario World.
    I think if Sega had paid more attention to creating more named characters we could be drawn too as in the Mario World we still may be playing Alex Kidd games today.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I think that Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a better game than Super Mario Bros 1. To be fair, it did come a year later. Mario 1 still kind of has a "software" feel. AKiMW feels more refined. Although, admittedly, the rock-paper-scissors matches should have been optional.

After that, things tilted heavily in the Italian plumber's favor. Sticking with the NES vs. Master System/pre-Sonic Genesis era, Nintendo further refined and improved the SMB games with 2 and 3. Meanwhile Sega went in every which direction with Alex Kidd, they didn't have a cohesive strategy. A simplified game for kids (Lost Stars), a BMX game, a hybrid platform/puzzle game (High Tech World) and a crossover with Shinobi are what followed up Miracle World, but there was no Miracle World 2 or 3 so to speak, even if they probably wouldn't have been directly called that. Mario also had spin-off games (and LOTS of them), but they always had a flagship Super Mario Bros. series at its core where each game improved on the last.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was far more fleshed out and refined than any Alex Kidd game.

Dare I say it, but the SMB vs. Alex Kidd competition sort of reflected the competition between the NES and Master System as a whole. Early on, say 1988 and earlier, they were actually more closely matched in game quality and library than one might think. The NES had more games, but the Master System had the technological advantage with stuff like 3D glasses and cartridges that were as big as 512 kilobytes. No early NES game could compete with stuff like After Burner and Phantasy Star in terms of technical specs. But even in this era, Sega's refusal to allow third parties (they didn't open it up until late 1988) hurt them big time. And they didn't have the vision and direction that Nintendo did to keep their 8-bit console relevant well into the early 1990s.
    Last edited by WelcomeToTheNextLevel; 05-25-2023 at 04:24 AM.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Mario 1 still kind of has a "software" feel.
    What the hell is a "software feel" hahah.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

SMB3 = SMW2: YI
    SMW
    SMB2 = Alex Kidd in MW
    SMB
    Alex Kidd in SW
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    Lost Stars
    Hi-Tech World

Something like that, though this takes recent romhacks into account as well.