Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 200 Super Nintendo games of all time

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The biggest problem with trying to rank the best 50 or 100 or whatever games of a particular system, is that it basically turns into a popularity contest.

The best way to do it, would be to actually recruit like 50 different gamers, that can prove that they have a very good understanding of the SNES library. Then have them hash out a list. Because if you just open it up to anybody and everybody, it just turns into a popularity contest. I've seen it happen a million times.
    Replying to a several year old comment.

While I agree with your statement, you can't really say that, you'll have people stating you're forcing your opinion down their throats. You may have played 500 SNES games in comparison to casual Joe over there who's only played 30-40 of the most popular ones, but his opinion is just as valid as yours is. Despite having a much higher degree of expertise, that expertise doesn't matter one bit.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Let's be real, hardcore John who has played 500 SNES games is probably going to pick most of the same games as casual Joe. Most casual Joes didn't acquire their 30-40 games totally at random. They got them because they knew EVERYONE loved those games, including the hardcore Johns. That's the funny thing about full set collectors. They'll go to the trouble to acquire every last game, yet their favorites are still Super Mario World and Zelda 3. I would guess that you may even have better odds of getting interesting choices from those with smaller collections. If they don't have as many games to play, they may get more invested into each game and truly learn and experience what they're all about. Somebody who has played 500+ games in a system's library has probably only given a cursory play to most.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Replying to a several year old comment.

While I agree with your statement, you can't really say that, you'll have people stating you're forcing your opinion down their throats. You may have played 500 SNES games in comparison to casual Joe over there who's only played 30-40 of the most popular ones, but his opinion is just as valid as yours is. Despite having a much higher degree of expertise, that expertise doesn't matter one bit.
    I agree with you 100%. And not to turn this into a political debate but this is the same type of argument against the electoral college system in the United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Thanks for updating and sharing! I'm shocked to see that Undercover Cops came in so high, but that's part of the fun of a list! Good to see a long project finalized. On a side note, speaking of top 200 lists, I've been working on my own for the past 12 years now. No rush to get it out as I want to experience as much of the library as I can. I'm shooting for 2020 though. Hopefully I'll get it out in time for King Kong vs. Godzilla, ha!

Congrats again on finishing the list and I enjoyed looking at it. Always fun comparing opinions

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!