Thread: PSA: After Burner Climax on PSN / XBLA to be removed from sale on Christmas Eve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Exclamation PSA: After Burner Climax on PSN / XBLA to be removed from sale on Christmas Eve

'After Burner Climax' To Be Removed From Sale On Christmas Eve

In a sad move, Sega will be removing the arcade port of After Burner Climax from both XBLA and PSN on this coming Christmas Eve. Rumors of licensing issues, due to some of the planes used, appear to the main cause behind this.

The news was broken via Noriyuki Shimoda’s Twitter account. As he was the producer for the game this information should be regarded as legitimate, especially as it was also later confirmed by Sega Japan as well.

This port of After Burner Climax was also well received back when it was released in 2010. Mainly because it was clearly an excellent game in its own right but also because many hoped Sega would release more arcade games digitally (Planet Harriers we are looking at you).

Unfortunately, that never really happened and we got a few scatter shot PC ports instead.

The original arcade game, released back in 2006, also had a full motion cabinet and ran on Sega’s own Lindbergh arcade board. It had quite the following so it’s XBLA and PSN release was very much welcomed.

The game got its name from the then new slow-motion “climax mode” (shown above), that allowed players to achieve multiple missile lock-ons at once.

It’s unclear what will happen to the remaining arcade cabinets though. If this is indeed a licensing issue then the arcade version would be equally liable.

Regardless of that, it’s sad news that After Burner Climax is being removed from sale. However, if you have a 3DS I can thoroughly recommend the 3D Classic port of After Burner II that will be released early next year. In fact, all of Sega’s 3D Classic games are a must buy (especially Galaxy Force II, which is my personal favorite).

Not to mention that you should buy After Burner Climax post-haste, if you haven’t done so already. As it’s time among us is sadly coming to an end.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebar...christmas-eve/

After Burner Climax faces XBLA/PSN delisting this month

This month is your last chance to pick up Sega's arcade-ported shoot-'em-up After Burner Climax on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Digital storefront monitor lifelower reports that the Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network versions of After Burner Climax will be permanently delisted on December 24.

Buyers will be able to redownload purchased copies of After Burner Climax at a later date, but once the game is delisted, it can no longer be bought or added to a user's software library. Sega Nerds speculates that expired licensing agreements between Sega and the manufacturers of the real-world aircraft featured in After Burner Climax are to blame for the game's forthcoming removal. A similar issue resulted in the deletion of Sega's Ferrari-licensed racer OutRun Online Arcade from digital storefronts in 2011.

Starting next year, if you want to legally play After Burner Climax and don't already own a digital copy, you'll need to track down an original arcade machine. Here's a tip: The GameWorks across the street from the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle hosts a pair of Climax cabinets, so you might want to make plans to visit the next time you're in town for PAX Prime.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/11/af...ng-this-month/

Note: The earliest glimpse of After Burner Climax was seen at a private, closed-doors showing during E3 2005 along with early Virtua Fighter 5 and The House of the Dead 4 running on Sega's Lindbergh arcade hardware, in addition to a CG trailer for Chrome Hounds for Xbox 360 and a real-time Sonic The Hedgehog demo on some console dev-kit / PC.

The then yet-to-be-named next-gen After Burner is @ 3:30:

If you don't have After Burner Climax you better get it now before it's gone forever.

$9.99 on NA PSN and XBLA:

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/gam...er-climax-ps3/
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258410a06

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Is the game somehow available in physical format, even as a combo with other titles?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nope

So it will join Outrun Online Arcade and Sega Rally Online Arcade (Which apparently can at least still be found via a download voucher for the 360 version that was bundled with an accessory) in disappearing forever.

For those that haven't already, I'd recommend grabbing Daytona USA HD if you want it. The International Speedway Corp. licensing for the Daytona USA branding is likely running short as well and there's no guarantee that there will be advance warning or that you will see it even if there is.

I barely squeaked in under the wire with Sega Rally Online Arcade, buying it just days before it was delisted (An event that I never saw any advance warning of, unlike Outrun and now this).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder if the iOS version will get pulled, too? Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time on that platform, often because of incompatibilities with new hardware/software as well as licensing crapola. There's also an Android port that just arrived this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I grabbed that Android version within the last month as there was this nice 99 cent sale so I used some of my banked google survey bucks. It's a fun game, totally disgusting that it's getting jerked for whatever reason and I would not be surprised if it were pulled from ios/android too.

I never heard of those others with Daytona, Outrun and Sega Rally which sucks I'd love to add that. Maybe there are android apks for at least one of those floating around?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

From what I've seen, it's a pretty good port. There is another rumor going around that it will be up on sale tomorrow as part of the third week of the PSN holiday sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    I wonder if the iOS version will get pulled, too? Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time on that platform, often because of incompatibilities with new hardware/software as well as licensing crapola. There's also an Android port that just arrived this year.
    Since it's all but assuredly happening due to the expiration of aircraft licensing (Why they just didn't create fictional designs for an arcade game, I don't know), I imagine that it's a safe bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is this up on PSN for PS4 or just 3/Vita? I may just snap it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    From what I've seen, it's a pretty good port. There is another rumor going around that it will be up on sale tomorrow as part of the third week of the PSN holiday sale.
    That would be awesome. We will find out later today...I just hope it does lower a bit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Is this up on PSN for PS4 or just 3/Vita? I may just snap it up.
    PSN for PS3, it was never brought over to Vita or PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

BTW guys, here's the attract sequence from the Lindbergh arcade version which has the B-2 Stealth Bomber firing cruise missiles.

This sequence was truncated in the home versions (360/PS3) even though the enemy B-2 is still in the game in a special bonus mission.

Sega's Lindbergh boards were basically upper mid-range 2004-2005 era PCs running Linux.

With After Burner Climax specifically, the Lindbergh Yellow hardware:

CPU : Intel Pentium 4 3.0G HT (800Mhz FSB - 1MB L2 Cache)
    GFX : NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series GPU
    GFX Memory : 256MB (256 bit GDDR3)
    Operating System : Montavista Linux
    GFX Capabilities : Vertex Shader 3.0, Pixel Shader 3.0

Audio : PCI Sound Card - 3D audio synthesizer chip onboard, possible to have 64 sounds playing simultaneously, 5.1 surround output.
    Video output: One analog D-Sub, Two Digital DVI outputs.
    Display : Single or dual monitor support. Can output the same picture to each monitor or different pictures on each monitor, the resolution for each of the 2 monitors can also be different.
    Sound output: The two front speakers have RCA connectors, SPDIF for full surround.
    Resolution : HDTV (High Definition)
    RAM : 1024MB 184pin DDR SD-RAM PC3200 (2x 512MB DDR 400 sticks)
    LAN : 10/100/1000 TBase Gigabit Network
    Other : DVD Drive Support, USB2.0 (x4) - Sega ALL.NET online support.
    Connector Format : JVS
    Protection : High Spec original security module.
    http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=731

AM2's Hiroshi Kataoka had said porting Lindbergh arcade games to PS3 such as VF5 was easier in general than to Xbox 360 because Lindbergh's graphics card / GPU and PS3's GPU are similar.

That's because GeForce 6800 was the NV40 and RSX is based on NV47 (aka G70) although is only equivalent to a 7600 GT.
    (8 ROPs and 128-bit bus, thus less pixel fillrate and memory bandwidth than a full GTX 7800).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's worth mentioning that the 360 version works beautifully with the flight stick that came with Ace Combat 6 (half the reason I bought that bundle was just in case After Burner Climax got a 360 release).

If you have that stick, BUY THIS RIGHT NOW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It's gone from the PSN store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen rumors of it seeing a price drop to $5. Hopefully it's related to that, rather than what most likely has happened [Edit: Also isn't in the Xbox marketplace now, looks like it didn't quite make it to Christmas Eve.].

If it's really gone for good already, hopefully those that hadn't yet bought it but were serious in doing so, had a chance to grab it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    It's worth mentioning that the 360 version works beautifully with the flight stick that came with Ace Combat 6 (half the reason I bought that bundle was just in case After Burner Climax got a 360 release).

If you have that stick, BUY THIS RIGHT NOW.
    I don't have that stick, but did buy a Mad Catz Saitek Aviator. I'll have to give it a try.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-02-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

I searched for it on the PS Store on PS3, seems to be gone in North America.

Hopefully anyone that really wanted it got it in time.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks to be gone from both PSN and XBL.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"