Thread: Reasons to keep 'outdated' versions of a game?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reasons to keep 'outdated' versions of a game?

Do you think there's any good reason for instance, why someone should still be buying the PS2 versions of FFX and X2 by themselves, rather than getting the PS3 compilation of both? Or games like Jak and Daxter, God of War, etc. originals vs. their PS3 compilations, or any similar instances? I mean, I don't have a PS3 myself, so I'm wondering whether its worth saving to get a PS3 just to get the compilation HD discs. But then one part of me says to save the money for now and just keep my PS2 copies of FFX and other such games. What do you think? Is there any point in having the originals by themselves?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Some people prefer to play the original games on their original consoles for an unaltered experience. I tend to get the remakes later on and still keep the originals though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It depends on the game. The enhanced version of Loom added voice acting and better graphics, but removed dialog and character close-ups so there's still a reason to play the original or both versions. Other remakes are just better than the original so there's not much reason to bother with the original at all. Other remakes make the graphics look worse in style or change the content making the game worse overall so there's more reason to play the original over the remake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think what he's talking about would be better defined as a 'remaster', rather than a 'remake'. Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake. Something like the Team Ico collection on the PS3 is a remastering.

In general, most remasterings from the past generation are excellent and leave little reason to mess with the originals. Some exceptions include the poorly done Silent Hill Collection, download exclusives such as Okami HD for those of us that prefer retail when given the choice, and some that make significant changes such as Wind Waker HD's lighting system that gives the title a significantly different appearance than that of the original.

But for many of these such as the Sony published collections on the PS3, there's really no reason at this point except if you're a collector. Everything that was a positive has been maintained, yet you benefit from smoother frame rates, HD support, etc. And more often than not, the HD collection can be had at a fraction of the price of the originals.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, nostalgia and collecting are really the only reasons in the case of the HD remasters. Like most everyone has said, the remakes are largely superior across the board for the remasters if you just want to play the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is totally a remaster argument where little to nothing is added other than a cleaner visual and audio component. GoW games, Sly Cooper collection, Last of Us on PS4, even I'd think Super Mario Allstars.

Why someone would take these? There's a few reasons not to buy a remaster. You own the original. You don't see a rational reason to own more than one copy of the same game even with an a/v boost. Perhaps your system of choice it started out on has a better controller than the remastered copies system. Maybe you're a purist and even just spit and polish are offensive to your sensibilities.

Since you're talking about the PS2 to PS3 upgrades, honestly there's no good reason unless you must play the games in HD resolution graphics. There's so little to nothing added over the visual bump it's just pissing money for no good reason. Games like these are remastered for very few good reasons. The quality is so high it's worth an upgrade for existing fans, or a new fan wasn't old enough to have that past system but for both reasons it's to milk more cash out of the consumer as it's a cheap job upgrading a game visually than making another from scratch. I had a PS2 in the middle of its life but I had let it go before Shadow of the Colossus or any of the God of War games popped up, so when those re-dos came out on the PS3 they were my first experience. Now something like FF10, that I had on PS2, but I haven't had a PS2 in a long while and I haven't played it since that one time I ran it through. I wanted that on PS3 but I walked into a cheap new PS4 on a weirdo deal so when I saw it was coming to PS4 I decided I'd get that.

I've never played Kingdom Hearts either, if SE brings those remasters over I'd try those out because they're new to me. The only time I've really ever bought a remaster when owning the old game currently was with Super Mario Allstars, the GBA 'SM Advance' games but they were portable so I rationalized that, and then Tomb Raider on PS3 I had but I got this deal where I got 3 PS4 games sealed for $100 and it was one of them so I just swapped it out. Sure the PS3 graphics are still amazing on that last one, but on PS4 they're even more detailed but not widely enough to value it anywhere near a full price purchase. Same can be said with FF10 or the God of War PS2 titles, same stuff with a higher resolution. Unless you have to have it, save your money.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've only purchased a few remasters of the games I own, DMC, FF10, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus. I also own Jak and Daxter but I don't own the original games, and imo, there's no reason to keep your old copies if you own a remaster, except for one reason which I'll explain below. If you want to play the remaster as it was on the original console, 4:3, then you can do so on either an HDTV or an SD. Change your console to 480p only, and your HDTV to, I think, full if you're looking to play in 4:3.

If the remaster changes the gameplay at all is the reason you want to keep the original. Shadow of the Colossus for example. The exact same game, runs at a better framerate on the PS3, but I still think the PS2 version is better. On the PS3 version there's added frames into the actions of the player. The issue with this is that the colossus will shake a certain period of time and because of the added frames, you can get stuck in a loop on the PS3 version where you go from full stamina to none without being able to hit the colossus once, despite being on their weak point that entire time. The original game you don't have that issue.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

The silent hill 2 and 3 remasters were so fucked up beyond just gameplay and graphics that it alters the mood giving you an inferior experience. This is especially true for silent hill 3 which used all new voice actors largely to the detriment of the game.

The original ps2 release is superior. I play mine upscaled via original PS3 backwards compatibality
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Since they were very cheap and I like to play the original version when able, I decided to get the original PS2 versions of Metal Gear Sold 2 and 3. I've been told elsewhere that I'm a fool and should at least get the improved PS2 versions.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

In the case of Silent Hill there's EVERY reason to keep the originals. I'd go as far as saying that there's no reason to EVER play the HD Collection. They're really THAT fucked, which is ESPECIALLY hurtful for me because Silent Hill 2 and 3 were among my favorite games from the generation they were released. Just sloppy as hell, ESPECIALLY SH3.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was told by the folks on NeoGAF that the Silent Hill remasters were so buggered because they were reconstructed from beta versions of the games (as the source code to the final was lost) and also partially reverse engineered master copies.

I also think if you can get the originals for a bargain, that too would be worth grabbing them over the remasters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep the original PS2 versions even if you buy the HD remake.

1. The PS2 has the advantage of the Hard Drive install route; HDAdvance/HDLoader has compatibility for most of the PS2 game library.

2. Some PS2 titles have features changed on the PS3 versions such as Silent Hill mentioned and the older Grand Theft San Andreas Hot Coffee mode.

3. Keep the PS2 for the many titles not released on the PS3.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT