Thread: Neo Geo Multi-carts

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Neo Geo Multi-carts

I just picked up a nice 1 slot Neo Geo cabinet that was set up as a dedicated Metal Slug with full-size marquee and the like and a very nice 25" monitor for $150 and got it set up at home. I have a pretty good (around 30 games) collection of AES carts for my home console, and am conversant in the system's library. However, I've never messed with a multi-cart. Just wondering if anyone here has had extensive experience with these and if they run the games properly (the actual games, not the hacks that fill out half of the count). Sorry if it's a duplicate topic, these carts just sound a little too good to be true. I'm looking at a 161-in-1 at the moment. Any thoughts?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never actually used one, but I've done a little research on the multicarts and I don't like what I see. Half the games are KoF hacks, and so many great games are missing. I don't like the menu interface, I read one post at KLOV about how Terry's shirt on the menu graphics causes burn-in if you leave it on all the time. I've also read something about all the games being set to level 8 difficulty by default, and you have to go into the test mode and set it to some other difficulty for every game.

I made a Neo Geo only MAME box for my MVS and it beats the hell out of a multicart; all the games I want with a customized interface, I can play MUGEN with it, and for me the best part is having AVIs of all the Neo Geo attract mode videos I want that are played by a screensaver. So if you don't mind doing a little more work that would be a good option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not wild about MAME. I plan on buying kits for some of my favorites (I already did for Shock Troopers 2nd Squad), but the multi-cart is something I was thinking about mainly so as not to repurchase games I already have on AES, like the Sengoku trilogy, Super Baseball 2020, and Top Hunter. My main question is about how well the games run off of the multi-carts. I don't think burn-in will be a problem, as I leave my cabinets off when not in use, and it won't be all I run on the cabinet. By default it'll probably be set up with the Metal Slug kit until I want to change out, as the board is mounted in a covenient position. The biggest thing to me is that if it won't run exactly like the legit cart would, it's not for me, as that was the whole point of the cabinet to begin with for me. Looks like a nice setup you have, though! I may want to try something like that in the future for games that are hard to get boards for like Outfoxies or Gaia Crusaders.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I recently bought the 161-1..to note I still have a lot of MVS carts and a second cab running a 4 slot with mvs CARTS..
    I bought the multicart to play games I no longer own again,and games I never played..
    ....for less then $100.00 shipped it was well worth it...

I was told to only use this cart with an original UNI BIOS Chip

My goal is to find another multicart with the other/missing games on it...

Pictures shown at the bottom of my album..Also lists of games NOT on the cart..
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f77d71bb2d

Here’s the details I wrote about the cart on my FB page..and at neo geo .com
    So I got the multicart ,Seller shipped it pretty quick.. He just slapped the cart in a padded flat rate envelope I would've put it in a box. Okay the cart was in its Baggie with sticker on it that says no returning if open the bag.(the carts baggie is not enough protection). I opened it Careful enough not to ruin the sticker...(the carts baggie is not enough protection just slapping that in a padded envelope.).
    So I pull the carts out that I had in the big red NEO GEO MVS 4 Slot and try to get the game in the slot and it won't fit,it absolutely won't fit any slot ugh..

It seems that the bootleg boards are too long . I finally forced it in and it works but I almost could not get it out...I feel I’m going tp break my mobo or break a board trace pulling this out. So I had no choice to open up the cartridge and try to file the edges of the PCBs.. Boy that stuff stinks..

The boards are like triple layered and or some wires that hold them together it's something that really don't want to open the carts got stickers on it that void it if you open it up. They come off very easily.. Funny because I believe that the company that sold the game makes them but the void stickers are Japanese.. I took another cart and did some measurements to try to get the PCBs in the right shape, while filing a little here and there in the plastic to get a little bit of play the game goes and very tight right now but not as tight as before..

Start the machine up goes right to the menu if you select the game it will demo to that game over and over like as if you had one slot which isn't too bad.. In fact I would not mind having a one slot if I could figure out which one actually fits the big red.. There is a lot of games on this cart ..My oldest Son is playing them right now giving them a whirl.. He was playing this ninja commando game that I've owned once before ..he got to the boss and the screen is going in and out of shade I don't remember if that's the way the game was I could swear I remember it being that way because at the time I believe I thought I monitor was going and it was that game.. There are some games on this cart that I've never heard of that I have to try..
    There is a paper that comes with the game and it says to go to their website for an online manual on how to use the game or how to install . there's a list of manual for other games but none Mvs nor this game on the website...

I guess I can’t complain but to get the game from someone else for more money your not getting anything better. One guy and eBay has the same game listed at $185
    Added:
    I'm too afraid to go into the soft dip settings to see if I can lower the overall multicart games level of 8.. I don't even think it's possible to change the settiings with 161 games in 1
    Added Oh soft dip menu is disabled when using a multicart ..pressing the button to get into service mode does nothing

Keep in mind however that the backup memory on the MVS board usually can only keep setting for up to 8 games. When you insert the ninth, the first one gets overwritten.
    added info:
    When I got my 161-1 whoever put the cart together had tightened the shells screw tower right into the ribbon cable crushing it..I only discovered this because I could not get the cart in my 4 slot mobos slot for the life of me.it seems the carts boards are to long at the connector edge so I had to open the cart and file a small amount of the ends off..the cart still fits very tight but now fits..

so far so good I've been playing the games on it daily...I have NO other carts in my 4 slot board..I took them out..

I am playing this cart in my Big Red Version 3 Neo Geo MVS arcade machine..I want to use just a 1 slot board with this cart but I am not sure which one will plug right into my cabinet in place of the 4 slot
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...-in-1-No-Sound
    . http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...58#post3836358
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...th-binary-code
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 01-02-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

For the price I paid this cart has given my cabinet new life...My two Sons are soooo interested in playing the games on it..THAT is what makes me happy,you just have to "get past' it's issues and very carefully make the cart fit your board if it doesn't..
    ...though I have been into the Neo since 2001 and at one time would look very past and boot or multicart,I've grown older an more to accept...Plus with three kids I'm no longer able to buy 1 cart at $200.00...

The carts connectors look to come with a film on them,it's a protective goo on the connectors that comes on new carts...

a few years ago I bought a Xbox Debug kit with a Ton of games on it...I didn't even know what it had on it as I am not into roms..
    I have it now hooked up now to a small LCD tv but playing the arcade games Not in an arcade machine is just not the same..
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3068d7a558

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. Any games you've compared to your original carts to see if they're glitchy? I'm probably gonna go ahead and buy, because it seems like good bang for the buck at least in the short term. I'll be using an original one slot that was set up as a dedicated Metal Slug for the bulk of its existence, so I'm not anticipating compatibility issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

So far I haven't noticed anything that was so off that it bothered me every game works fine.. Yesterday I played one of the king of fighter hacks( I believe it world be called a hack) it's a nonexistent game the start up Neo Geo screen letters were pink, I got a little spooked because I figured maybe something was going wrong but The game demo through over and over the screen is always the same it always plays with the letters pink I just believe that's the way it was made.. The most thing that I don't like not being able to change settings in the cart for games which many games are set on level 8 hardest and there's no way I'm going to be able to play through some of these games on that level... One of the games that I play when a friend of mine comes over is baseball stars 2 .. I started a game with my son we played 10 innings what I don't like is I can't change the timer on when you have to credit the game so The Credit runs out so fast that it pops up on screen right as you are about to bat .. On my original card I can change those settings to make that timer last longer .I also can change the time it takes before I make certain selections in the game.. though I can get past that playing it and we had a good time playing it so it's worth it ..

The card being so tight in the boaird board still bothers and I do want to pull it out again and file the boards edges again I just don't like taking it apart it just seems that it's one of those things if something comes apart I'm going to be pretty screwed..
    Sorry I'm doing this by voice on my phone so not all the wording may come out right..

If I had a little bit more money I would actually buy a second one of these as a back up.. I really don't find the much and I just can't see paying a few hundred dollars for one of these when If it's problematic or has problems you've really wasted a lot of money..

My seven-year-old played drift out yesterday and I watched it looks just like the cart I owned...

Was reading about Burn in. if you leave any game playing over and over and over its going to leave burn in.. I don't leave my cabinets on that long to create burn in..

One thing I would suggest is to ask the seller to pack it very well... In all my years of dealing with these carts one thing that I would make sure somebody ships to me they pack these fragile carts really well..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Since you're going to run the one slot you may have the benefit of using the boards out of the shell which may make them fit easier just be careful with the wire that connects the top boards to bottom boards as it's very fragile.. I saw someone posted a pic of the same carts boards in 1 slot board , the cart out of its shell..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think I'll go ahead and go for it. Holland Computers seems to have a good price at $90, and it'd cover about 2/3 of my AES collection in one fell swoop. Seems like a plan. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Cool,same place I got mine .. This morning I pulled the cart out of my mobo and I mean pulled it because I could barely get it out .it's been bothering me how tight it fits in the mobo even after I filed the edges.. I put in the four carts that I had in before I inserted this cart and they slide in so nice/smooth .I need to make his cart slide in as well as they do ..I'm afraid this game is going to ruin my board in just the way it's to tight to get into my 4 slot .

NOTEL I never mentioned that sellers multi-carts because though I bought mine from them ,the issue that I had not being able to get it in my 4 slot I feel someone else is going to have a major headache dealing with..
    I have the cart currently out of my machine.I need to figure out why it does not fit into my mother board without forcing it before I use it again..
    It's either the two game boards are to long,they may be warping-warped..the two game boards could be tilted-to far apart,not lining up with the motherboards pins ..It's frustrating me: I'm looking to buy a broken 1 slot cheap just to figure out why it doesn't fit...with the current crazy prices of 4 slot boards today I don't want to use it trying to figure out how to get this cart to fit..

Just BEWARE when trying to get this cart in any mobo..

auctions info states for future reference..

Neo Geo MVS 161 in 1 Cartridge Horizontal Display - New
    This amazing cart combines 161 of the best Neo Geo games onto a single Neo Geo cartridge. The cartridge uses a built-in OSD (On Screen Display) to first graphically navigate to the game you wish to play. Once finished playing, simply hold down Player 1 START button for 5 seconds to immediately return to the OSD game selection screen again.

Game List:

1 SNK VS CAPCOM +
    2 SNK VS CAPCOM RMX
    3 SVC SUPER PLUS
    4 KOF 94
    5 KOF 94 +
    6 KOF 95
    7 KOF 95 +
    8 KOF 96
    9 KOF 96 +
    10 KOF 96 EVO
    11 KOF 97
    12 KOF 97 2003
    13 KOF 97 REMIX
    14 KOF 97 PLUS
    15 KING OF GLADIATOR
    16 KOG PLUS
    17 KOF 98
    18 KOF 98 +
    19 KOF 98 ULTIMATE
    20 KOF 98 OROCHI
    21 KOF 99
    22 KOF 99 +
    23 KOF 99 CN
    24 KOF 2001
    25 KOF 2001 PLUS
    26 C.T.H.D
    27 C.T.H.D SUPER PLUS
    28 KOF 2002
    29 KOF 2002 MAGIC
    30 KOF 2002 MAGIC 2
    31 KOF 2002 CN
    32 KOF 2002 OROCHI
    33 KOF 2002 LUAN
    34 KOF 2002 SUPER
    35 KOF 2002 SUPER 2
    36 KOF 2003
    37 KOF 2004 SE PLUS
    38 KOF 2004 SE
    39 KOF 2004 SMP
    40 KOF 10TH
    41 KOF 05 UNIQUE
    42 KOF 05 UNIQUE 2
    43 KOF 10TH EXTRA +
    44 RAGE OF DRAGONS
    45 RAGE OF DRAGONS +
    46 STRIKERS 1945 +
    47 STRIKERS 1945 + +
    48 AERO FIGHTERS 2
    49 AERO FIGHTERS 3
    50 METAL SLUG
    51 METAL SLUG +
    52 METAL SLUG 2
    53 METAL SLUG 2 +
    54 METAL SLUG 3
    55 METAL SLUG 3 +
    56 METAL SLUG 4
    57 METAL SLUG 4 +
    58 METAL SLUG X
    59 METAL SLUG X +
    60 METAL SLUG 6
    61 METAL SLUG 6 +
    62 SUPER SIDEKICKS 2
    63 SUPER SIDEKICKS 3
    64 ULTIMATE 11
    65 NEO-GEO CUP 98
    66 PLEASURE GOAL
    67 SAMURAI SHODOWN
    68 SAMURAI SHODOWN +
    69 SAMURAI SHODOWN 2
    70 SAMURAI SHODOWN 2+
    71 SAMURAI SHODOWN 3
    72 SAMURAI SHODOWN 3+
    73 FIGHTERS SWORDS
    74 SAMURAI SHODOWN 4
    75 SAMURAI SHODOWN 4+
    76 SAMURAI V SPECIAL
    77 MATRIMELEE
    78 MATRIMELEE +
    79 SENGOKU
    80 SENGOKU 3
    81 SENGOKU 3 +
    82 LAST BLADE
    83 LAST BLADE +
    84 THE LAST SOLDIER
    85 LAST BLADE 2
    86 LAST BLADE 2 +
    87 LAST BLADE 2 EASY
    88 MARK OF THE WOLVES
    89 MARK OF WOLVES +
    90 DOUBLE DRAGON
    91 DOUBLE DRAGON +
    92 NIGHTMARE
    93 NIGHTMARE SP
    94 SPIN MASTER
    95 SPIN MASTER +
    96 FAR EAST OF EDEN
    97 LEGEND SUCCESS JOE
    98 ART OF FIGHTING 2
    99 ART OF FIGHTING 2+
    100 KARNOV'S REVENGE
    101 KARNOV'S REVENGE +
    102 LANSQUENET 2004
    103 SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND
    104 PUZZLE BOBBLE
    105 PUZZLE BOBBLE 2
    106 PANIC BOMBER
    107 STREET HOOP
    108 NEO BOMBERMAN
    109 ZUPAPA
    110 BLAZING STAR
    111 NINJA COMMANDO
    112 OVER TOP
    113 PULSTAR
    114 TOP HUNTER
    115 GANRYU
    116 EIGHT MAN
    117 MUTATION NATION
    118 BASEBALL STARS 2
    119 ALPHA MISSION 2
    120 PRE ISLE 2
    121 THRASH RALLY
    122 ANDRO DUNOS
    123 CAPTAIN TOMADAY
    124 ZED BLADE
    125 BANG BEAD
    126 NEO DRIFT OUT
    127 NEO TURF MASTERS
    128 3 COUNT BOUT
    129 BURNING FIGHT
    130 LAST RESORT
    131 NEO MR. DO!
    132 ROBO ARMY
    133 PUZZLE DE PON
    134 MAGICAL DROP 2
    135 FATAL FURY 1
    136 MASTER OF SYOUGI
    137 VIEWPOINT
    138 WORLD HEROES 2
    139 SOCCER BRAWL
    140 BREAKERS
    141 BREAKERS REVENGE
    142 BATTLE FLIP SHOT
    143 2020SUPER BASEBALL
    144 WORLD HEROES
    145 MONEY PUZZLE EXCH
    146 KING OF MONSTERS
    147 FOOTBALL FRENZY
    148 BLUE'S JOURNEY
    149 CROSSED SWORDS
    150 STAKES WINNER
    151 STAKES WINNER 2(NEW!)
    152 PUZZLE DE PON! R!(NEW!)
    153 KOF 2003 CHANGE(NEW!)
    154 SUPER DODGE BALL(NEW!)
    155 MAGICAL DROP III(NEW!)
    156 SAVAGE REIGN(NEW!)
    157 KIZUNA ENCOUNTER(NEW!)
    158 KOF 2002 ICE-BLUE(NEW!)
    159 KOF 97 PJ(NEW!)
    160 KOF 97 YL(NEW!)
    161 KOG 97 CR (NEW!)

Product Requirements:

* Requires SNK NEO GEO Motherboard (1, 2, 4, or 6 slot) - (Original Bios Only)

Part No:

RA-NEO-SNK-MB-MV-1C
    RA-NEO-SNK-MB-MV-1B

Package Contents:

1 - 161-in-1 NEO GEO Cartridge

1 - Instructional Graphic Sticker

UPC: 670541219416

Jamma 60-in-1 PCB, iCade, Arcade Multigame, Multicade board, JAMMA, Jamma PCB, Jamma 60-in-1, 60 in 1, Jamma Boards, 60 in 1 Arcade, 60 in 1 Jamma, 19 in 1 jamma, Jamma Arcade, iCade 60 in 1, iCade 60-in-1, Jamma 302-in-1, Jamma 302 in 1, Jamma 19-in1, Jamma 19 in 1, Jamma Board, Jamma Boards, Cocktail Arcade, NeoGeo, Neo Geo

Stock Code: RA-161-IN-1-NEOGEO
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 01-05-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Update

I took my dremmel and shaved the sides down a little bit and the cart fits like butter..
    I also put the cart in my 4 slot with three other carts
    http://youtu.be/Ja3Cjm2C4nI
    http://youtu.be/7neHVEeZxy8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

So, I eventually did order this, and it showed up today. The menu boots up fine, but the games have garbled graphics. Most text displays fine, but most of thein-game graphics are an utter mess. I contacted the company about a defect exchange. Anybody have similar experiences? I'm running it on a one slot MV1-FS with no modifications.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

My replacement cart showed up today, and so far it's working pretty great. Puzzle Bobble won't boot up, but that's my only issue so far. I'm a little nervous to tinker with the soft dip settings to adjust difficulty after that last cart was all glitchy... anyone mess with those? I'm playing on an MVS-1FS in a cabinet. I mainly bought it as an arcade stand-in for my AES collection, as I own about 30 games for it, and most were on this cart.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I'm a little nervous to tinker with the soft dip settings to adjust difficulty after that last cart was all glitchy... anyone mess with those?
    Change 'em till your test button wears out, it won't bother it at all. Most games are unplayable anyway unless you enter the softdips; a lot of them default to level 8 difficulty and some other wonky options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, this one's working fine. The level 8 difficulty is no big deal on most of these, but I do prefer to play default settings. I've been going to town on it, and so far it's pretty great. A few games I've noticed some sound issues, like a static noise during jumps in Nightmare in the Dark, but it's excellent for most, and a good way to play much of my AES library on my MVS cabinet. I'm happy with it as a way to not have to double buy thosr games, and then I just buy the MVS carts I want. It's no one stop shop, as I do change it out for Windjammers a lot, but it's definitely solid.

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

Darksoft is planning on making a Neo Multi. It should play everything except Neo Dev games.

I use his ST-V & CPS2 Multi's so this is very good news.

Arcade-Projects Forums has more info.

I've used a number of the current Neo Multis and the 120 is usually in my cab.
    Last edited by synbiosfan; 10-25-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Diabetes Sucks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yeah, this one's working fine. The level 8 difficulty is no big deal on most of these, but I do prefer to play default settings. I've been going to town on it, and so far it's pretty great. A few games I've noticed some sound issues, like a static noise during jumps in Nightmare in the Dark, but it's excellent for most, and a good way to play much of my AES library on my MVS cabinet. I'm happy with it as a way to not have to double buy thosr games, and then I just buy the MVS carts I want. It's no one stop shop, as I do change it out for Windjammers a lot, but it's definitely solid.
    I had to modify the shell as I was getting issues -sound -garbled graphics,I knew it was caused by how tight the cart was sliding in my mobo...also the contacts needed a severe cleaning too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    Darksoft is planning on making a Neo Multi. It should play everything except Neo Dev games.

I use his ST-V & CPS2 Multi's so this is very good news.

Arcade-Projects Forums has more info.

I've used a number of the current Neo Multis and the 120 is usually in my cab.

"Darksoft is planning on making a Neo Multi"

I want..

I also bought another 161
    https://youtu.be/uSmBs4AAPhw
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 11-04-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

When there's any real news, I'll post it. Right now, it's just a plan.

The price will be higher than the existing multi's available but it won't have the glitches.

I'm a big Metal Slug, puzzle and shooter fan so not having all the hacked fighting games to scroll past is a plus.
    Diabetes Sucks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    When there's any real news, I'll post it. Right now, it's just a plan.

The price will be higher than the existing multi's available but it won't have the glitches.

I'm a big Metal Slug, puzzle and shooter fan so not having all the hacked fighting games to scroll past is a plus.
    Yes. There are +-65 hacks on the 161 in 1, and at least a handful that don't work or are glitchy. There's still enough there to have fun with for the buck, but definitely not a complete replacement for owning carts. You'd have to pry my Windjammersout of my cold dead hands either way.