Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Games for Android from Amazon's "Free App of the Day" Program (No Longer Updated)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Ready to be scared by the original? Today's free app is Five Nights at Freddy's.

"Welcome to your new summer job at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, where kids and parents alike come for entertainment and food as far as the eye can see! The main attraction is Freddy Fazbear, of course; and his two friends. They are animatronic robots, programmed to please the crowds! The robots' behavior has become somewhat unpredictable at night however, and it was much cheaper to hire you as a security guard than to find a repairman.

From your small office you must watch the security cameras carefully. You have a very limited amount of electricity that you're allowed to use per night (corporate budget cuts, you know). That means when you run out of power for the night- no more security doors and no more lights! If something isn't right- namely if Freddybear or his friends aren't in their proper places, you must find them on the monitors and protect yourself if needed!"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Want some sugar, Sugar? Well in the game "sugar, sugar" your goal is to draw lines on the screen to guide grains of sugar down into awaiting cups to make sure the right amount of sugar gets into each cup.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I really like this one: Aces Gin Rummy Pro.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Did you miss getting Super Stickman Golf for free the first time around? Well good news for you: Amazon.com loves to re-run apps as the freebie of the day, and today is the day for SSG. This is a really simple and fun golfing game. It is from Noodlecake, one of my favorite mobile developers. It is a "swinging" golfing game that doesn't take itself too seriously. It featured 2D courses with layouts which would be impossible in the real world. It's challenging yet approachable and has many courses and sets. I hope you enjoy this arcade-esque game of golf as much as I have.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Like the developer Double Fine and music games? Good news! Dropchord is the free app today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0OK2X2/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

After existing for years, Amazon.com has decided to kill its "Free App of the Day" program. As a consequence, this thread can no longer be updated.

As a "replacement," Amazon has introduced "Amazon Underground," but as you can see, Amazon Underground is not a good replacement for the Free App of the Day program unless you like full-screen advertisements showing most of the times you start up and/or resume your apps (A.K.A. interstitials). I do not.

I hate advertisements and saw the FAOTD program as a way of escaping them. To add insult to injury, Amazon.com has the gall to label its Underground versions of these apps as "Actually Free Apps" which I find to be insulting and misleading. These apps aren't freeware and they sure as heck aren't Free Software. You might not be paying for the Underground apps or their in-app purchases with money, but you are still paying for them anyway by having to be interrupted and annoyed by their ads and paying through their tracking of you and your usage of the apps and collection of information about you and your usage habits.

Sorry for the discontinuation of this thread and the FAOTD program, but there is nothing we can do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've been using Amazon Underground to play many of the games that I've been wanting to play for a while now but didn't want to pay more than 99 cents for. Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion, Monument Valley, etc, etc, etc... and I can say that I've never seen a single ad. I kind of figured that they are collecting analytics but guess what? Even apps you pay for are doing that. I haven't noticed any increase in targeted ads in general either(which Amazon is especially good at). It would be nice if they kept their free app of the day program as well, but this seems like a pretty good compromise if you ask me.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I see nothing wrong with Amazon Underground. I rarely see any apps, I get to play the games for free, purchase the "in game content" for free...so I don't mind. Sure, they get revenue by placing SOME adds (no where near the experience NZ17 has had), but they don't interrupt gameplay for me.

Sure, many of the free apps suck, but there are plenty that are good. Sadly, many of my devices are incompatible...however, I will try and extract the underground APK version and install on another, "incompatible" device to see if it works.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Oh I wasn't saying that was my experience with the ads in the Underground-modified apps. If anything, I wouldn't see any ads with all of my ad blocking. But I never installed the Underground app. I was just rewriting what Amazon.com had written on its own Web pages.