Thread: My SNES turns 20 years old today!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) JoshDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool My SNES turns 20 years old today!!!!

Hey guys,

I hope you're having a Merry Christmas today. Like a lot of you, I used to get my console systems during the holiday season. After waking up this morning, I realized that it was 20 years ago today, that my parents gave me my Super Nintendo system (which I still have and it actually works!)

The games I got with it were: Donkey Kong Country 1, Uniracers, and Mega Man X.

Anyone else have some stories about games that you got for Christmas?
    Check out my YouTube channel for retro gaming walkthroughs. https://www.youtube.com/user/JoshDragon18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got Ice Hockey in 1989. The Adventure of Link and Dr. Mario in 1990. Mega Man 3 in 1991. I'm not sure if I got a game in 1992. In 1993 I got Starfox and NHLPA Hockey 93 for SNES. Good times. I bought Smash Brawl for Wii and Tropical Freeze two days ago and played them today. I guess you can say their gifts for myself.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Oh, yes, Christmas was the one time of year I even had a shot at something as big as a console, and my parents worked hard to get my siblings and I some.

1987 saw our NES Action Set and Hogan's Alley for Christmas. Awesome.

1989-Milon's Secret Castle

1990-Tetris. I grew to hate it because my parents played it more than I did.

1991-Cybernator

1993-The SNES set w/both Super Mario World and a send-off for Super Mario All-Stars along with Super Star Wars. That was an amazing Christmas.

1994-NCAA Basketball, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

1995-Super Return of the Jedi

1996-Super the Empire Strikes Back

1997-Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

1998-Good God, my PS1. I'd pre-ordered and been playing Ocarina of Time. I was very excited for it, but when playing it, I was kinda bored, but trying to make myself stick with it. Then I get a PS1, with Tomb Raider and Pitfall: Beyond the Jungle. I don't know that I have played either of those terrible games since. The demo disc, though... Metal Gear Solid. I bet I played through that demo 200 times or more. It was entrancing. My brother and I played NFL Xtreme on that disc a bunch, too. I had trouble going back to Zelda after playing that Metal Gear Solid demo, though. I just resented it more. I remember going to FuncoLand on that break and buying OddWorld: Abe's Odyssey and Twisted Metal, and played the crap out of both of them for some time.

2004-My Xbox. I bought Steel Battalion earlier that year without having the system, and this was my last year before moving out on my own. My buddy who was eventually my roommate lent me his Xbox, and my dad had been playing the crap out of Steel Battalion. He got me an Xbox of my own that Christmas, and we drove my mom nuts staying up all night playing that one. The girl I was dating at the time got me Boogerman on Genesis.

2009-The girl I married two years later got me a PSP. Well played.

2012-My wife got me Mass Effect 2.

2014-My wife got me Mass Effect 3. My sister gave me a gift card, so I picked up Akiba's Trip on PS3.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDragon View Post
    Hey guys,

I hope you're having a Merry Christmas today. Like a lot of you, I used to get my console systems during the holiday season. After waking up this morning, I realized that it was 20 years ago today, that my parents gave me my Super Nintendo system (which I still have and it actually works!)

The games I got with it were: Donkey Kong Country 1, Uniracers, and Mega Man X.

Anyone else have some stories about games that you got for Christmas?
    Christmas 1994? We got our SNES systems on the same day. Cool! Mine was a used SNES with Super Mario World and The Great Waldo Search. Unfortunately I sold my original SNES a long time ago. It wasn't working the best either. The one I have now is very ugly but I got it for $5 at Goodwill and it works great.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Same here sold my original SNES a few years back. It wasn't yellowing or anything the only problem was I decided in the 90s to mod it (powered file) smoothly removing the tabs for Japanese games and ever since the slot was just wobbly and eventually I got fed up with it because any motion would cause a game to blip off without wedging paper in there folded over as an anchor. I went with the SNES-2 for awhile but didn't like it much other than the nicer shell and happened about 2 years now ago finding a nearly untouched DK super set and have had that since.

My original was from the launch day in 1991. I had hyped over it at jr high with friends and got my mom to get it for a Christmas gift later in the year. I couldn't stand it and for whatever reason somehow I had happened to save up so much cash I had the entire total with tax (I still remember it too $216.50) and nearly tossed it at her when she came back home. Took the bag upstairs, nicely removed everything and hooked it up even into my stereo setup and got lost for 2 weeks killing SMW entirely every inch of it and then had more left over and allowance dough and made ActRaiser and Gradius 3 my next two games. That was it though I think until Christmas, then came stuff like Final Fight, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Super Castlevania I think it was. I wish as a kid I had more cash, I totally abandoned the NES cold and never purchased another game until the after market grabs in 1995 and after or a rare game on clear out somewhere in the later 90s from Toys R Us or whatever.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 12-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Same here sold my original SNES a few years back. It wasn't yellowing or anything the only problem was I decided in the 90s to mod it (powered file) smoothly removing the tabs for Japanese games and ever since the slot was just wobbly and eventually I got fed up with it because any motion would cause a game to blip off without wedging paper in there folded over as an anchor. I went with the SNES-2 for awhile but didn't like it much other than the nicer shell and happened about 2 years now ago finding a nearly untouched DK super set and have had that since.

My original was from the launch day in 1991. I had hyped over it at jr high with friends and got my mom to get it for a Christmas gift later in the year. I couldn't stand it and for whatever reason somehow I had happened to save up so much cash I had the entire total with tax (I still remember it too $216.50) and nearly tossed it at her when she came back home. Took the bag upstairs, nicely removed everything and hooked it up even into my stereo setup and got lost for 2 weeks killing SMW entirely every inch of it and then had more left over and allowance dough and made ActRaiser and Gradius 3 my next two games. That was it though I think until Christmas, then came stuff like Final Fight, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Super Castlevania I think it was. I wish as a kid I had more cash, I totally abandoned the NES cold and never purchased another game until the after market grabs in 1995 and after or a rare game on clear out somewhere in the later 90s from Toys R Us or whatever.
    Oh, man, do I miss Toys R Us clearance from back in the late '90s. I cleaned up on so much good SNES and Saturn stuff then. Super Mario RPG for $15, Guardian Heroes for $5, an NES Advantage for $5... that was an every payday stop for me back then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got one of those new $5 NES Advantage's too to replace an original. It still worked but it had taken a lot of hits and was tossed around so it was detached from that heavy base plate, and even that wore through the black and started to rust. :P I remember using their clearance to snap up stuff over time, usually cheap NES/SNES and GB stuff. Kaybee outlet was another good one for that since they were such high pricers in the malls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my SNES for Christmas 1992...but 20 years ago for Christmas '94, I got Mega Man X, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country. All three of those games remain some of my favorites of all time. Actually, Super Metroid may very well be my favorite video game of all time. It's definitely in my top 5 for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine as a wedding present from my wife in May of '94. I think I got the Super Game Boy for Christmas that year, with Space Invaders and Donkey Kong. And possibly Zelda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you bake it a cake?

Insert Coin (Level 0) JoshDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also got Pokémon Yellow and Blue for Christmas in 1999 (along with a yellow Gameboy color) and Gold/Silver in 2000.

Yes, I was one of those kids who was into the Pokémon craze during the late 90s and early 2000s. I still have all of my cards too. Haven't been used in nearly thirteen years.
    Check out my YouTube channel for retro gaming walkthroughs. https://www.youtube.com/user/JoshDragon18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Mine turned 23, as I got it Christmas 1991. In perfect condition in box, but unfortunately has some yellowing.