Thread: Got a boxed Model 1 Sega CD, works only when I hit it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Got a boxed Model 1 Sega CD, works only when I hit it

OK, long story short, I got a boxed Model 1 Sega CD today from a guy on Craigslist for $120, and paid another $40 for Night Trap and Dragon's Lair. Hadn't tested it in years, but said it worked when he last used it. Well, hooked it up to my Model 1 Genesis and got it to power up after bridging a fuse (it's temp, I know I'm ordering a fuse). Says 1992 Sega Ver. 1.10. Then put a CD in. Tray closed, then opened back up 2 or seconds later. Label of the CD was not moved, indicating it doesn't spin.

Put more CD's in, including a music CD. Same problem. Well, before I gave up, as soon as the tray closed, I lifted the Genesis/CD-ROM an half inch from the front off the table and let go (it didn't slam hard). Well, it started reading! Game played fine.

Powered off and tried another game. Same problem, but the same solution also worked. Obviously I don't want to do this every time I turn it on, so any idea what the problem can be? I doubt the lens is the issue, because it doesn't spin at all unless hit exactly when the door closes. Any ideas?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Man, I wish I knew what to tell you. The tray on my second (original) Xbox doesn't open unless you rap the top of the system.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    OK, long story short, I got a boxed Model 1 Sega CD today from a guy on Craigslist for $120, and paid another $40 for Night Trap and Dragon's Lair. Hadn't tested it in years, but said it worked when he last used it. Well, hooked it up to my Model 1 Genesis and got it to power up after bridging a fuse (it's temp, I know I'm ordering a fuse). Says 1992 Sega Ver. 1.10. Then put a CD in. Tray closed, then opened back up 2 or seconds later. Label of the CD was not moved, indicating it doesn't spin.

Put more CD's in, including a music CD. Same problem. Well, before I gave up, as soon as the tray closed, I lifted the Genesis/CD-ROM an half inch from the front off the table and let go (it didn't slam hard). Well, it started reading! Game played fine.

Powered off and tried another game. Same problem, but the same solution also worked. Obviously I don't want to do this every time I turn it on, so any idea what the problem can be? I doubt the lens is the issue, because it doesn't spin at all unless hit exactly when the door closes. Any ideas?

It could be the belt on it. I would also check the gears for any missing cogs. Good luck!
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Model 1 are valuable, but also unreliable and fragile, these things are always broken.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Those model 1 sega cds are so unreliable. I had one that worked but I had to shake it/turn it upside down to get it to work. Ive also found like 6 of them just broken. They are cool looking but really not worth the trouble if you want to play sega cd games with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found my Model 1 in a damp field (see: Flea market) and have been very lucky that its been working flawlessly ever since I got it.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    It could be the belt on it. I would also check the gears for any missing cogs. Good luck!
    This. Check the belt, I would guess that is the problem based on my experience.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Model 1 are valuable, but also unreliable and fragile, these things are always broken.
    That's why they're more valuable, it's because they're more difficult to find still working properly. It's the same with Walkmans, some sell for really good money if they're properly working as they all have belts and gears which commonly fail. They all need to be serviced to be made fully working again and it's difficult, time consuming work. The price difference between working and non-working units is pretty large.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you're brave open it up. A good cleaning of the gears and belts would be ideal to start and just an overall inspection as others said about cogs and missing teeth. It clearly works but needs encouragement to start and then it's fine so that's a plus because it's not just failed, it's pissy. It really could come down to something as dumb as a looser belt or garbage in the gears like if they're already oiled but something got in there so it's sticky so it until it gets a whack it won't move.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

In my experience with other drives, I would say check any part with teeth as in cogs or belts with teeth. Also if you see any hard white glue looking stuff. That is a factory grease that hardens better than some glues. If that's the problem I would carefully heat and remove all the hardened grease. That was the problem in both Sega CDs ver. 2 that I had. After I cleaned off the gunk and put new gun grease in there, all its problems went away.