Thread: Acceptable Temperature Range for Video Game Storage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Acceptable Temperature Range for Video Game Storage?

I'm going to need to place most of my video games in my unheated storage unit. What's the acceptable temp range for storing video games? I'm going to gauge the temperature there today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unheated should not be a problem. I'd worry about stuff getting too hot, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's low humidity environment, not much rain. I just measured the storage unit temperature and it was in the low 40's with an outdoor temperature of 40 F. I'm curious whether the storage temp drops to 20's when the outdoor temp drops at night.

Also, what effect does cold temps have on battery saves?

During the summer, I think the high temp in the storage unit stays below 100 F.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

50-75F should be fine, but as noted, you need to be more worried about humidity, or just the moisture in the air. I stored about half my Cube collection in the loft for a while, and a few inlays got light moisture damage, despite being in air tight containers. It was the air already in there that cooled down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Non-Climate controlled storage is not a good idea for video game storage. Carts tend to be more durable then discs though both are ideally better at least stored at a closet in the house. In addition, the outside shed storage tends to have more insects who will take up residence in the games and consoles. Anything paper such as game manuals, cart labels and case covers could be eaten by the critters.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Any Non-Climate controlled storage is not a good idea for video game storage. Carts tend to be more durable then discs though both are ideally better at least stored at a closet in the house. In addition, the outside shed storage tends to have more insects who will take up residence in the games and consoles. Anything paper such as game manuals, cart labels and case covers could be eaten by the critters.
    This.

Under no condition would I feel comfortable storing them in a storage facility of that type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My storage unit is in a large building attached on one side to a heated building used by people, so it's not just a backyard shed. It used to be a lumber storage facility until that went out of business, so the walls are well-constructed with metal sidings and no leaks of any kind that I've seen and I'm not worried about critters as I haven't seen any evidence of such renting the storage unit for the past year. My other things there are in good condition.

I'm not using it by choice, I pretty much have to, so what can I expect as far as battery drain on saved games? I would avoid storing my RPGs and strategy games there if there's a noticeable effect. Anyone experienced with this? The temp does reach at least as low as 40 F, and as stated earlier, may reach down to below 30 F during a winter night, though I have no way of knowing this for sure.

Also, I live in a low humidity area, so I'm not too worried about that.
    Last edited by Casati; 12-28-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also have to agree that humidity is more important than temperature. Especially for paper products and cartridges/consoles. You don't want metal contacts getting condensation on them and corroding, or paper bleeding or wrinkling. I guess that has to do with the temperature because a fast fluctuation will cause the condensation to build. I know none of this from experience though because my entire collection is in my finished basement and always has my eye on it, as I dust it semi regularly and would notice any of these ill effects. The humidity in my basement is ~40% and the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much past 50F-~60F. I like it chilly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heat is your enemy as far as temp is concerned, cold is of little issue. If the unit has power you could run a dehumidifier, or fill the bins the games are in with a few silica gel packs each you keep the humidity at bay.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com