Thread: Repro Retro Labels - Paper Type / Adhesive / Cutting?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

Default Repro Retro Labels - Paper Type / Adhesive / Cutting?

I'm beginning to look into making some repro cartridges as a way to become more comfortable with soldering and graphics in general. Labels are a big part of that. In the past, with games I've wanted to get new labels for, I've ordered them ... but I'd like to dig into this myself. A couple of questions.

1) What's the preferred kind of paper that you use? I will assume that a high quality inkjet or a very high quality color laser is preferred here, but what kind of paper is preferred? Also, how do you "protect" that paper? Do you use an artistic acrylic cover that you could buy from a school supply store, or some sort of lamination sheet? I don't mind these being "over-standard", per se, and nicer than a traditional label would be. I want it to last!

2) The second thing I've looked into is how to size the label. Sizing in Photoshop, that makes sense. But, I'm far from a pro at scissors! A friend of mine just picked up a Cricut, which is a really really nice paper cutter, and can be controlled ... yes, with a PC! Doesn't even need pattern cartridges. So, does a pattern exist for video game labels? That's the $64,000 question.

Thanks! Let me know if I'm overthinking this, but I want to do it up right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can recommend something to a point, but you'll need to dig for the exact thing.

Depending on the printer you'll be using, you need to match the paper. If you can use a good quality color laser printer, get laser printer made material to print to, and the same for a deskjet. What you need for the non-laminate quality SNES like stuff would be a glossy matte label, non pre-cut. If you want to fake laminate, it's cheesy but wide 2" like packing clear tape from a place like office depot would do you well if you do it in strips very slowly and flat to remove bubbles and then do it side by side to eliminate gaps.

My understanding from others if you go with an acryllic paint or whatever, it never works out well and can cause some texture issues and sometimes could remain sticky, also as it dries and stiffens up it could just pop the top flap label off due to it pulling on it. I asked about lamination sheets, and while that's nice, it won't work well as lamination is a two sided process really, at least traditionally and well good luck gluing that down. :P

I'd definitely go with that printer you found if you want to make it look like a real cut label from the period, I know I would, if I had the demand and supplies to start selling copy cat labels for people to restore old games with. As far as a template goes, they definitely do exist, I don't have one currently, but I used to. They're usually made in a PSD format for photoshop so you can just slide an image into the usual places so the game label, corporate label, etc are all as they should be. I just went looking to see if I still had it, and I do not or I'd pop it on google drive for anyone to use. I know you probably could google around for it. You're not over thinking it, you're just thinking of it the right way so it looks right and not like some amateur knockoff turd that stands out on a shelf.

By the way are you the same SAV who was into emulation junk in the back half of the 1990s that hung out on efnet irc #emu and #retrogamers among other places? I was an op in both for a time back then.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 12-28-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Semi gloss full label sheets and a roll of acrylic laminate, print and laminate full sheets and then cut em.

And Tanooki knows all about the damn top pop problem after you laminate

You need goop up the top a bit more....in the end I made a template and was using a heavy duty spray adhesive.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck