Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaten in 2015

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Never posted in these threads that I remember, but always thought I should.

Jan or Feb (can't remember)
    Fallout NV and all DLC - I was playing this for a long long time.

March 29th
    Zelda Link Between Worlds
    Psychonauts

In a possible first for me, I finished two games in the same day. I managed to snag a Majora's Mask N3DS a few days ago, and finished ALBW on it (that head tracking is pretty nifty). This is probably the easiest Zelda game I've finished. I've been in a bad habit of looking stuff up when stuck the past few years, but for this game only looked up the location of one MaiMai, and I was stumped on how to get them out of trees and wound up looking up getting the boots. For Psychonauts I also avoided getting help, but I didn't get using the 'mental door' thing on people outside the mental institution and was totally stumped. Dumb. Anyway, Psychonauts was a weird mix of really creative stuff, surprising and new feeling level design/concepts, and... just not as much of a fun factor as it should have had. Not sure why. And then that last level, Meat Circus, was completely out of proportion in difficulty compared to the rest of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer Red Alert are the only two games I've beat so far this year.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN
    01) Cadash(TG16)

FEB
    02) Contra(NES)
    03) Bad Dudes(NES)

MAR
    04) Rival Turf(SNES)
    05) Macross 2036(PCE-CD)
    06) Metal Slug Advance(GBA)

07) Kirby: Triple Deluxe(3DS)
    Been a while since I played a Kirby game all the way through. Really enjoyed the game and it's got me wanting some more classic Kirby action. I actually played the game in 3D mode the entire time thanks to the super stable 3D with the New 3DS XL. Very cool game.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Just beat Milon's Secret Castle, such a hard game. For the longest time I thought this was just unplayable garbage, but its actually really fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose I will try to keep tabs of my gaming achievements here as well.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Wii U (main game, still working through bonus levels; no Toad amiibo at this time for amiibo specific objectives)

These games were defeated during a live stream on my Twitch channel.
    Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, SNES
    Pilotwings, SNES
    Super Mario Bros., NES
    Super Mario Bros. 2, NES
    Last edited by Nintendork; 04-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. Costume Quest 2 (Rebeat)
    2. SigCorp - Holiday Special #2
    3. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

4. Half-Life 2

HUH. People have been crowing about this game since I was in high school, but I never got around to playing it until now. It's amazing that it's a 10 year old game that still completely holds up and looks great. The balance is amazing too, plenty of challenge, but at no point did I feel like I was facing something unfair. So, yeah, guess I'm in the Half-Life 3 waiting camp now.
    Last edited by JSoup; 03-31-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Cruis'n USA - N64
    2. Alice: Madness Returns - 360
    3. Forza Horizon 2 - 360
    4. Crash Bandicoot - PS1
    5. Monster Party - NES
    6. Mega Man 2 - NES

I finally finished Dr. Wilys castle after putting it off, it's hard as hell, my thumbs hurt, I used a lotta F bombs, but damn wat a good game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN
    01) Cadash(TG16)

FEB
    02) Contra(NES)
    03) Bad Dudes(NES)

MAR
    04) Rival Turf(SNES)
    05) Macross 2036(PCE-CD)
    06) Metal Slug Advance(GBA)
    07) Kirby: Triple Deluxe(3DS)

APR
    08) Yoshi’s New Island(3DS)
    Clearing out a bit of the 3DS backlog here. This is definitely a fun game, but the final level felt fetch-questish and really broke up the flow of the game. Otherwise it is a fun game, with hardly any real challenge until you're at the final stages. I guess there would be plenty of challenge if you cared about unlocking everything by grabbing every star/red coin/flower, but that type of thing has never interested me(in this game or New Super Mario Bros).
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Just beat Contra Force for NES. This game has serious issues, mainly the super-slowdown that Konami seemingly built right in. This alone is the main challenge to the game, it will slow down then speed up when you dont expect it and you can mess up as a result. If you have played this game I am sure you know what im talking about. Also, sometimes the screen wont scroll properly, and you have to backtrack inorder to progress. Once in level 3 right before the boss the screen diddnt scroll correctly and I couldnt even reach the boss, there was a huge gap where the ground was supposed to be.

If you can deal with the slow pace its actually a really good game. It has really good music and it plays like a mix between gradius and contra. You can power up your guys like in gradius. The game has 5 levels and the only really challenging part is the last boss. All the bosses seem to take like a million hits, which is weird because everything else in the game dies from one shot.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2

5. Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Was pretty obvious from the start that this wasn't going to be as long as the first game. Played a bit more like a sightseeing adventure than the first one. Still good.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2

6. Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Much longer than episode 1 and a bit more challenging. No spoilers, but one of the battles I actually found to be rather unreasonable, but still strangely manageable. And that ending has me on the Half-Life 3/Episode 3 hype train. Good stuff.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2

7. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Was surprised at how short this was, until I did some searching and found out it's a tech demo of sorts. Still, short and sweet. The commentary is pretty interesting, even if the tech is old.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2

8. Blackwell Epiphany

Wow. Just...wow. Went from being typical Blackwell, to sad, to FUCKING SCARY, to typical Blackwell again, to some crazy stuff to REALLY sad. Pretty amazing stuff and I really think it (and the four games before it) are worth the time and money.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2
    8. Blackwell Epiphany

9. KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days HD

Not the formal game, just a full collection of all the mini-movies and stuff. Great overview of a game that's not at all fun to play.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. Mass Effect - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 01/15
    2. Bioshock - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 01/27
    3. Bayonetta - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 03/02
    4. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - (XBOX360) 03/09
    5. Castlevania: The Lords of Shadow - Warrior difficulty (XBOX360) 04/20

Castlevania: The Lords of Shadow was amazing. I was completely surprised by the quality of it. The visuals, gameplay, voice work, music, story, I thought it was all top notch. I'm not used to really good 3D Castlevania games is the thing. They went with that Dante's Inferno style of gameplay that I love in action games. On a side note, I was sort of surprised to see an all Latino staff roll after ending the game. I just ever see that.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Finished the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 last night on the Wii U (Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, to us Westerners). That includes World 9, which requires the use of no warping throughout the main 8 worlds.

I'd like to say that I didn't use save states, but there's just no way that a normal human being could do this one in its original Famicom form without those, at least without many dozens of hours of practice and hair pulling. At least on the All-Stars version, many things have been eased and you're given a fighting chance (Such as the save system, for the most notable change).

Left to do now is a play through using Luigi, since as I recall, this is the game that introduced his now characteristic floaty physics. Then afterwards, six additional play throughs (using warp pipes to speed the process) to unlock the secret World A-D levels, which requires beating level 8-4, eight times in total.

Hard to imagine being able to beat this one in its original Famicom form, without save states. Nintendo of America was wise to pass this one over I think, although I'm sure that there's a few aliens out there that have managed the feat after many hours of practice. Feels at times like a bad Super Mario World hack.

And playing it via off-screen play made it even more frustrating since there's just enough lag here to annoy in a tough platformer like this one.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Finished the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 last night on the Wii U (Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, to us Westerners). That includes World 9, which requires the use of no warping throughout the main 8 worlds.

I'd like to say that I didn't use save states, but there's just no way that a normal human being could do this one in its original Famicom form without those, at least without many dozens of hours of practice and hair pulling. At least on the All-Stars version, many things have been eased and you're given a fighting chance (Such as the save system, for the most notable change).

Left to do now is a play through using Luigi, since as I recall, this is the game that introduced his now characteristic floaty physics. Then afterwards, six additional play throughs (using warp pipes to speed the process) to unlock the secret World A-D levels, which requires beating level 8-4, eight times in total.

Hard to imagine being able to beat this one in its original Famicom form, without save states. Nintendo of America was wise to pass this one over I think, although I'm sure that there's a few aliens out there that have managed the feat after many hours of practice. Feels at times like a bad Super Mario World hack.

And playing it via off-screen play made it even more frustrating since there's just enough lag here to annoy in a tough platformer like this one.
    I manage to pull that game off all the time due to having played the All-Stars version so much as a kid. I find World 8-3 to be the toughest level in the game before the A,B,C, and D worlds which you unlock by beating the game at least 8 times. So usually if I have to repeat a world by using continues it's #8. Notice those stars that appear on the title screen every time you beat the game? Once you have 8 of them, you can use a code to access world A and do a half-length second quest from there. Normally the FDS wrote the number of times beaten directly to the disk, so you normally didn't have to do this all at once. Luckily the Wii also keeps track of this data. With emulators and roms, the FDS files aren't written to as you play, so you have to rely on savestates to keep this progress. With Repros and the old Powerpak you're SOL and have to do it all in one power-on of the system. I think the Everdrive added savestate support turning it into a non-issue there.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

1. Vegas Stakes (SNES) 01/13/15 - Won $10,000,000. Yay.
    2. Super Star Wars (SNES) 01/13/15
    3. Revolution X (SNES) 01/17/15
    4. Quake 4 (360) 02/09/15
    5. Star Wars: Episode I - Battle For Naboo (N64) 02/14/15
    6. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (XB1) 03/25/15
    7. Monster Madness - Battle For Suburbia (360) 03/30/15
    8. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360) 04/06/15
    9. Call of Juarez (360) 04/09/15
    10. Bionic Commando (360) 04/26/15
    11. Dragon Age: Origins (360) 05/08/15
    12. Shadow of Destiny (D ending) (PS2) 05/26/15
    Last edited by AceAerosmith; 05-26-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

finished Halo 3 ODST last weekend. And Halo anniversary edition as well. Still need to play reach and 4 before the new title launches. Might replay #2 also. Its been awhile and I love this franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a YouTube channel called Gamexplain, and they've been going through each bit of footage of Mario Maker that Nintendo has shown off. One of the supposedly new things to the Super Mario Bros. formula is underwater flagpoles at the end of stages.

If they think that's new, they never played World 9 in The Lost Levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Notice those stars that appear on the title screen every time you beat the game? Once you have 8 of them, you can use a code to access world A and do a half-length second quest from there. Normally the FDS wrote the number of times beaten directly to the disk, so you normally didn't have to do this all at once. Luckily the Wii also keeps track of this data.
    The Wii U version (I upgraded my old Wii VC download to the full Wii U version) also saves your progress. I reloaded my last save state and then proceeded to restart the game, and sure enough, the 1 star I've earned so far was still present on the title screen.

I knew about Worlds A-D and the unlock criteria, but this is the first I've heard of a code to access it after I earn 8 stars. What's the code that I have to input [Edit: Looked it up, hold A while pressing start]? I just figured I'd reach it at the end of my 8th time through the game, either after 8-4 if I used warps, or 9-4 if I didn't (Although come to think of it, World 9 loops normally, so I should've known there was something more to it than that).

Thanks
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.