Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaten in 2015

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I beat Soldiers of Fortune for the Sega Genesis this year using my trusty Genistick controller. I really liked the original game on the Amiga which was called, "The Chaos Engine." The Genny version though was not to shabby. Not to shabby at all. Never played the SNES version though. Maybe I'll give it a shot this year as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. Mass Effect - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 01/15
    2. Bioshock - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 01/27
    3. Bayonetta - normal difficulty (XBOX360) 03/02
    4. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - (XBOX360) 03/09
    5. Castlevania: The Lords of Shadow - Warrior difficulty (XBOX360) 04/20
    6. The Last Of Us - normal difficulty (PS3) 04/29

The Last Of Us was really, REALLY good. It's a very emotional and unsettling game. In fact I haven't been this immersed in a game since the first three Silent Hill games. I remember someone here talking about problems with the controls, but I thought they were excellent. The only real issue I had with the game were a number of bugs and glitches.

Early on there was a bug where Ellie and Tess literally disappeared from sight. It was after exiting the first corporate building, where there's a safe in the book store. Tess' flash light was still visible, and she would still talk, but neither could be seen, and I was invincible until the end of the stage, which actually worked out really well for me. There were several other times that Ellie vanished when she was near by and talking, and there was another stand out glitch where Henry was standing on an invisible platform 6 feet in the air after exiting the house where the wild dog are frolicking.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. Costume Quest 2 (Rebeat)
    2. SigCorp - Holiday Special #2
    3. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
    4. Half-Life 2
    5. Half-Life 2: Episode 1
    6. Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    7. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
    8. Blackwell Epiphany
    9. KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days HD

10. Broken Age

So, yeah, there it is. All and all, very enjoyable. Love the voice work, loved the music, loved...most of the puzzles. Didn't feel like the story really finished itself in a way that I liked. If you watch the credits, the threads are all tied up, but....I don't know, I think I could have preferred that be playable.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) 1/14
    2. planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ (PC) 1/28
    3. No, Thank You!!! (PC) 4/28

Fair warning here, if anyone is like "Oh, I've never heard of that game, lemme look it up", No, Thank You!!! is very much an adult game, so be careful, haha. Anyway, I fully cleared my first route in the game. The game is billed as a comedy, and it's definitely laugh out loud funny a lot of the time, but man, it got really dark too, more so than I was expecting. All sorts of interesting stuff with yakuza, detectives, going off on missions, and solving cases. They could cut out the romance and sex and it'd still be a really solid visual novel. It's not my usual sort of thing; I typically play galge and otoge, usually clean ones at that, but I'm glad I gave this one a shot. I started up another character's route, and I'm loving what they do with subsequent playthroughs too. There are all these little lines and scenes added throughout the common route that weren't there before, and they're piecing everything together, even things that I didn't realize I didn't know. I'm still using the skip function on read text, but I like how it gets interrupted now and then with interesting new tidbits of story. Definitely makes replaying feel more worthwhile than to simply hook up with a different character.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Cruis'n USA - N64
    2. Alice: Madness Returns - 360
    3. Forza Horizon 2 - 360
    4. Crash Bandicoot - PS1
    5. Monster Party - NES
    6. Mega Man 2 - NES
    7. Little Big Planet - PS3

You've prolly heard of this series, they're some of the best modern sidescrollers. Sony exclusives, fantastic level design, gorgeous graphics with puzzles, collectible items, tons of levels online, creative gaming at its best. Give these a try, it's an amazing platformer franchise that holds up to any of its equivalents. I miss the days when systems were defined by the big platformer franchises. It was Mario or Sonic. Crash or... Mario.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2
    8. Blackwell Epiphany
    10. Broken Age

11. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent

I was expecting a difficult to control copy of the PC version. What I was a slightly fiddly version that is shorter and has a different ending with a few new puzzles, some of them actually challenging.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) 1/14
    2. planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ (PC) 1/28
    3. No, Thank You!!! (PC) 4/28
    4. Touch My Katamari (Vita) 5/8

I'm still not finished with the prior game, but I picked up the Vita Katamari on a whim a couple months ago on an extremely rare occasion in which I actually entered a GameStop (I didn't even know there was a Katamari game on the system until I saw it there, haha) and I just the other day finally gave it a try. It was fun, so I just rolled with it, to make a bad pun, and kept playing. I still have plenty more to do in it too. The stage count is pretty minimal, but it feels a little more grind-y than the other Katamari games I've beaten. Like usually you can pick up a cousin and a gift in each stage the first time you visit it, but here you have to clear the stage first, then the cousin will appear the next time, then after you get the cousin, the gift will show up the next time around. So, yeah, they're really trying to force a lot of replaying of the stages to make people not feel disappointed with the length/content. There's also all the candy business, which is basically a currency system. I can foresee myself repeating stages just to earn more to buy all the stuff available in the shops (and there are trophies for doing so). There doesn't seem to be a full item collection, though. Rather, there's just 10 rare "curio" items per stage that are documented. It's kind of a shame, I always found it amusing reading all the descriptions of everything. It gave more personality and life to the stages, emphasizing the chaos you're bringing by rolling a path of destruction through everything, haha. Oh well. Certainly not the best Katamari game, but pretty much all of them past We <3 Katamari are just going through the motions anyway. But it's still a fun formula, even if it is indeed just a formula at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetris Attack (SNES) - beat the Stage Clear to roll the credits.

One of the best puzzlers of all time. Mostly easy enough but the final round of levels was quite tough.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finished these recently,

Bayonetta 2
    The World Ends With You (an all-time classic. fantastic)
    Final Fantasy V (PS1. Has aged with grace, and is superior to FF8, 9, 12, & 13)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Cruis'n USA - N64
    2. Alice: Madness Returns - 360
    3. Forza Horizon 2 - 360
    4. Crash Bandicoot - PS1
    5. Monster Party - NES
    6. Mega Man 2 - NES
    7. Little Big Planet - PS3
    8. The Simpsons - MAME Arcade

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN
    01) Cadash(TG16)

FEB
    02) Contra(NES)
    03) Bad Dudes(NES)

MAR
    04) Rival Turf(SNES)
    05) Macross 2036(PCE-CD)
    06) Metal Slug Advance(GBA)
    07) Kirby: Triple Deluxe(3DS)

APR
    08) Yoshi’s New Island(3DS)

MAY
    09) Talespin(NES)
    10) Legendary Axe II(TG16)

This was a really fun, simple hack n slash sidescroller. For some reason I had lower expectations, but it turns out to be a pretty cool game. The last 2 levels get pretty cheap, especially the last level. I don't care for it when games let you level up weapons/health, but then lose it when you die. Also, platforms that drop from under you, platforms that appear to be there but really aren't, all mixed in with identical true platforms is just cheap; especially when it drops you down 4 screens and you have to rescale the heights again. Other than that old school cheapness, it's fun to play. I dig the aesthetics and music too.

11) Air Zonk(TG16)

Really fun and unique shmup. I loved the weird weapon powerups and the art style of the game. Got disproportionately hard at the end, but not too too bad. Things get a little busy on screen and sometimes it was hard to tell your shots from your enemies, or your shots and allies from enemies.
    Last edited by Captain_N77; 05-20-2015 at 07:41 PM.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recently beat Ocarina of Time and Amazing Spider-man on 3ds. I remember beating Zelda to 100% completion back in the day, I just don't have the patience these days. Didn't even bother with the fishing minigame. After awhile I just wanted the game to be over with already. Same with Spider-Man, no way I'm going back through and looking for all those magazines/tech pieces and taking pics of every single character model. I have too many other games to play.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

7. Tetris - CD-I

I managed to play this one all the way through from Level 0 to Level 9 where the pace is so fast it is pretty much impossible to keep up. According to the back of the box, there are only 10 stages so this means counting 0 Level 9 is the final stage. I consider it done.

8. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - SNES

For what they consider a beginner's RPG there are still a few somewhat challenging boss fights, but the ability to keep re-trying any fight you lose makes it much easier than most games in the genre. Not a bad little game.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Alan Wake 1/2 PC
    Lego Batman 2 3/1 PC
    Forza Horizon 2 5/30 XBOX 360 (and also the F&F2 expansion)

No story what so ever. The game is bugged to high heaven (I read that the 360 versions are a hit or miss because this game was geared towards the XBOXONE more so it almost feels like we got the beta format of the game.). For reason my copy the barn finds didn't even work which is stupid. The music while its ok its nothing that makes me wanna look into the artists and get that track or other tracks to my itunes list. The games AI scheme was retarded imo.
    Like who the fuck came up with the idea of "no matter what there will always be a AI car faster then you and the AI learns from you and becomes you essentially" I mean really. And when you upgrade... so does the rest of the pack..... So in the end it made upgrading your car completely pointless. Only I guess to finish races faster.
    I am actually very disapointed in this game because of who made this game and the franchise its apart of.... If this was apart of say the dying Need For Speed Franchise... then so be it. They been in hot water for the past almost decade and we get it. But no... THIS IS FUCKING FORZA!.

Horrible.

3/10

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. Half-Life 2
    8. Blackwell Epiphany
    10. Broken Age
    11. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent

12. Contrast

What a horribly put together game. The concept is interesting and the story is OK, the gameplay is just awful. Highly twitchy, very glitchy, one of the first games I've played since I was ten that had me actually yelling at the TV in frustration. Do not recommend.
    Last edited by JSoup; 05-31-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

7. God of War HD - normal difficulty (PS3) 5/25

So I'm one of the last adult gamers to play God of War, and while this game was probably as amazing a everyone thought when it was back when it was new, I was pretty let down by it. I thought that the enemies and character models were really unimpressive design wise save a few stand outs, but THE WORST offense were the requirement of several QTEs. I despise quick time events with a passion, and mandatory random ones are the absolute WORST. The final battle with Aries was one of the easiest AND most frustrating boss battles I've EVER experienced. The fighting was easy as sin, but the fucking required 2 sequence random QTE that gives you NO TIME to complete, AFTER an annoying tug-o-war of spamming the 'O' button repeatedly to random results (sometimes I win, other times I lose, and my button hammering speed never changes). Does ANYONE find that fun?
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-31-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

7. God of War HD - normal difficulty (PS3) 5/25
    8. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - normal difficuty (PS3) 6/2

I'd never played any of the Uncharted games and didn't know what to expect. I can see why they're so popular, but honestly it was just sort of mediocre to me. They managed to stick those retarded ass QTEs I hate in there (is this a staple of modern games now?) and a few EXTREMELY shoe horned in motion controls with a few awful camera angles to boot, which made some of the platforming really tedious. I finished it in one sitting, too. I NEVER DO THAT. I can't think of the last game I've played a (non racing) game that I've never played before from beginning to end in one sitting. It probably haven't since the 16-bit days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAN
    01) Cadash(TG16)

FEB
    02) Contra(NES)
    03) Bad Dudes(NES)

MAR
    04) Rival Turf(SNES)
    05) Macross 2036(PCE-CD)
    06) Metal Slug Advance(GBA)
    07) Kirby: Triple Deluxe(3DS)

APR
    08) Yoshi’s New Island(3DS)

MAY
    09) Talespin(NES)
    10) Legendary Axe II(TG16)
    11) Air Zonk(TG16)
    12) King of Dragons(SNES)

13) Ys: The Vanished Omens(SMS)
    MY first Ys game and I really dig the bump-attack setup. I bought into the feel of the world and the quest to uncover the books. The birdo boss was frustrating, at least until I realized you needed to be level 10 to be able to damage him. The tower was kind of a pain; huge with many of the places barely distinguishable from each other, and directions not so clear. Still, I really like the game alot. Music was cool, though some notes grated on my ears, which I consider that more of an issue with the tech and not the compositions. Can't wait to play more Ys!
    JUN
    14) Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars(SMS)
    My first Alex Kidd game. Not too impressive really, but it distracted me for about an hour or however long it took me to make it through the levels.
    15) Raiden III(PS2)
    Fun gameplay and sweet music here. I feel that the ship moves just a hair too slow, but otherwise it played very well to me. Graphics were very generic. Really like the powerups, except for accidentally changing weapons numerous time by grabbing the orbs right when they switch up.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've been wanting to do this since 2013s topic, so I've now added links to all the 'Beaten in' topics going back as far as the search would find them to the first post. If someone other than me makes the next topic, I'll PM you the premade list and ask that it be added to the first post there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I've been wanting to do this since 2013s topic, so I've now added links to all the 'Beaten in' topics going back as far as the search would find them to the first post. If someone other than me makes the next topic, I'll PM you the premade list and ask that it be added to the first post there.
    Nice! Very cool to have that. I think I started posting in the 2012 "Beaten" topic, but I keep my list in a single Word doc. Still, very cool to have them all linked together like that.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming