Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Default Kings Quest

Anybody else excited for the new Kings Quest that's in development? Any kings quest memories.

6 was amazingand also my favorite. I'm glad they went back to King Graham. 7 was a little off to me. It seemed to lack the kings quest charm. Still a fun play but it reminded me of gobliiins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The trailer didn't give me much confidence in this relaunch bring us an adventure game in the classic mold. And the developer/publisher has been pretty tight lipped on any actual gameplay details. I'm watching it with interest, but I have a hunch its going to ultimately disappoint adventure game fans/purists in the end.

As for my Kings Quest nostolgia, I spent a lot of time with King's Quest VI when I was a teen and on my Adventure game obsession kick. I'm not the biggest fan of the Sierra set (though I do appreciate what they represent), but I did enjoy that game quite a bit.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The first KQ game I played was NES King's Quest V. Later, I got a windows PC with King's Quest EGA remake on it. I was able to beat it without internet. In the mid 90s I bought the original King's Quest Collection, so I was able to play the rest of the games. My two favorites are King's Quest III and VI. The magic in KQIII is unique to the series and really fun to figure out, and KQVI was the height of Sierra in game design and production values.

In the late 90s, I bought King's Quest Mask of Eternity, which I guess is considered VIII. It tried to be a action adventure game and didn't succeed at either, in my opinion. The game seems to take place on an N64 (fog everywhere) and it should be the grand champion of the Audio Atrocities website for its voice acting.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I played Kings Quest I on the Master System (wow, an actual 3rd party game! Thanks Parker Bros!) but never managed to finish it. Later played 5 and 6 on the PC, and loved them, though not as much as Space Quest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've tinkered a little with the earlier KQ games when I was into that whole oldwarez garbage on IRC back in the mid 90s but it never made much sense to me. I've never been able to get anywhere in those text driven games because I never can figure out exactly what the hell they want me to write, even if I know what to do, I end up writing it wrong and get angry and stop. Kings Quest V though I had that one both legit on PC and as a NES game, never finished it on NES but I did on the PC once or twice nearly 20 years ago and I know I couldn't now as it would be starting fresh. I really liked how that one was setup but I never went further with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I've tinkered a little with the earlier KQ games when I was into that whole oldwarez garbage on IRC back in the mid 90s but it never made much sense to me. I've never been able to get anywhere in those text driven games because I never can figure out exactly what the hell they want me to write, even if I know what to do, I end up writing it wrong and get angry and stop. Kings Quest V though I had that one both legit on PC and as a NES game, never finished it on NES but I did on the PC once or twice nearly 20 years ago and I know I couldn't now as it would be starting fresh. I really liked how that one was setup but I never went further with it.
    You should check out the KQ I-III remakes http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

They are done in KQV/VI VGA style, really professionally done, including the original voice actor for King Graham, Josh Mandel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know those exist, people have done some justice to more than just those three sierra games. The problem is I just don't get the logic with text based adventures and probably never will. I'd end up just using a faq after getting frustrated after a few minutes or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I know those exist, people have done some justice to more than just those three sierra games. The problem is I just don't get the logic with text based adventures and probably never will. I'd end up just using a faq after getting frustrated after a few minutes or so.
    They can be tough to figure out, it helps if you have a background in real role-playing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll admit as much as doing a year of D&D a very long time ago but that's it. If they were point and click I'd have a chance, but it's still daunting. I'm having real trouble figuring out the shadowgate remake for the PC as I snapped that up about a week ago when they had a short deep cut sale on it. I may grab KQ1 and just see what happens.

Well I found the dagger in KQ1, then wandered around all the rest of the time since posting that and haven't figured out anything at all other than being blocked by a troll and a starving woodcutters wife. I hate hand holding but games like this just never make sense to me and I really wish they did.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-07-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Something else to keep in mind with King's Quest, is many of the situations are drawn from myths and fairy tales, that should give you clues on what the game may expect.

For instance, what is the enemy of a troll guarding a bridge from fairy tales?

Did you see a well? I wonder what's down in there...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love all of the old Sierra games, and King's Quest I is actually one of the first games I ever played. We had an old DOS computer way before I had an NES. I beat I, II, III and IV in their prime and then emulated KQV as an adult after I became a collector with nostalgia. Of course I did use the "King's Quest Companion" though, which was basically a strategy guide.

I remember absolutely hating III at first, but over the years it has grown on me. It is completely out of the KQ mold, like Zelda II, Super Mario 2, etc. You don't play as King Graham, you learn spells, but the game has a great ending and actually comes full circle. If I had to rank them, biased by nostalgia, it'd be I, III, II, IV.

KQI was great but cliche, I'm sure I can probably get close to a perfect score from memory. However, climbing the beanstalk (instead of taking the stairs) to the land of clouds is almost impossible to do with the keypad... really need a joystick like from the 80's and 90's!

I also remember, as a kid, being deathly afraid of the witch in the Gingerbread house. You have to wait for her to come in and push her in the stove for max points. I remember my palms sweating and being so scared that she would see me and I'd die. Funny how times change!
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gentlegamer I had figured as much it seemed to be fairtale puns and innuendo going on there. I didn't delete it last night so I'll probably give it another stab later on at some point as I really did love KQ5 in the day.

Like jonebone I'd probably resort to that KQ book. It would be nice if KQ5 got a modern touch but they haven't even hit on #4 yet as they seem to have jumped into doing some unique games they can charge for on various services and I don't blame them one bit due to the work involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    I also remember, as a kid, being deathly afraid of the witch in the Gingerbread house. You have to wait for her to come in and push her in the stove for max points. I remember my palms sweating and being so scared that she would see me and I'd die. Funny how times change!

That witch turned you into a Graham cracker!

That's the other great thing about old Sierra games, the hilarious writing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played most of the early KQ games, but I always preferred the Space Quest series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Found this for people who may suck as these games as much as I do - http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/629854 They're scans of all the old KQ game strategy guides but also many of their other series titles too.