Thread: Pier Solar PC -- Any word on the physical release, also GoG has it for 50% off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Pier Solar PC -- Any word on the physical release, also GoG has it for 50% off

I noticed it has been delayed years now which is just pathetic, even if it's a small team but I've eyed this and waited because I'd love to have a real copy of the game.

That said I had no idea this was eeked out recently on GoG.com for $15, and for the next few days it's 50% off at 7.50.

Has this even been on sale this cheaply before? Any history I can dig up between steam and sony of all things says no, usually 25-33%(psn+psplus discount) is the most.

I understand the game is like maybe 50 hours which is a bit long but it looks like it would be fun, reviews seem to be mixed towards positive but some calling the battles on it tedious along with some of the elements of the story (more as you go deeper.) Anyone here take a crack at this one before or finish it?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have it on PS4 myself. While I do like the game, its not without its faults. You mentioned the battles in the game, which I kind of agree with. I find myself getting lost in some of the maze like dungeons, and while I'm trying to figure out where I'm going or what to do, the frequent random battles seem to just get in the way and prolong progress. This wouldn't be so bad if you leveled up more frequently as you get into these battles...but you really don't. After awhile, I found myself rolling my eyes whenever I'd go into a battle, because I felt like they were just wasting my time.

That being said, it is supposed to be an old school style RPG, which it does pretty well. The frequent battles when trying to figure out where you need to be really is a test of patients.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I grabbed it, didn't really think it did random battles that frequently, but it does have the annoying feature of flying enemies so some can't attack, and the huge one is that the terrain is just confusing to get around so it's a bitch even in the opening forest to figure out where to go. Also they seem to gimp the players pretty badly if you don't buy that feather thing in the shop because you'll take a horrid beating in a basic fight. My first fight I bought armor, not the feather/leaf thing and I got killed in the first battle on 2/3 people which sucked. I retried with that, got the vaccine and had that guy jailed, couldn't figure out how to do the watermelon collection junk, and kind of poked a bit into that jungle where the cave is but ran out of time to play and I couldn't figure out where to go either.

I have a feeling this game is very well designed, but also well designed to require buying a damn strategy guide which like a lot of things watermelon is good and known for is being very very late. I didn't see the harm in throwing $7.50 at it on GoG since I can keep a copy of it, and I'm not writing it off.

The test of patience I entirely agree on if anything because how slow it is to level up which seems very odd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Has this even been on sale this cheaply before? Any history I can dig up between steam and sony of all things says no, usually 25-33%(psn+psplus discount) is the most.
    http://www.isthereanydeal.com is my tool of choice. (The Enhanced Steam Firefox addon even integrates its information into Steam pages.) It's PC only, but it's a rare day that you'll see PSN and such outpricing Steam.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hadn't seen that before. I check out https://www.steamprices.com/us and also that greenman gaming and humble store sites to see what shakes out.

I pushed the game yesterday into the desert. It's starting to pick up, just need to really level up or I'll get squashed as the feather isn't saving me from beatings in this area. There is a total cheap out cheat in this game I'm not above using either as it's in the design. Always use defense against a group of enemies. Even the aerials will come down to your sword types and even if they hit you it's not much and most times you'll counter. I find that if I set defense until aerial types are gone I take a large less amount of damage while still dealing the pain.

The game does have bugs though, or it's just not 100% friendly with the 360 controller as it sometimes gets dumb (not often but happens) where it just pops out, was mostly annoying with the watermelon round up in the first area at that farm to where I was forced to use the keyboard on that which sucked.

I'm surprised that GoG doesn't have the soundtrack they usually throw those in as this has some nice scoring to it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I moved this thread to the computer gaming sub-forum because that's where it belongs.

As far as Pier Solar goes, I tried to play the demo of it on PC. But I found the game to be such a total LUNAR wannabe that it was just sad, and I couldn't play more than 10 minutes into the game before I said, "This is B.S.," and deleted the demo.

Tanooki, if you want to know when the physical release for PC will be (or even if it will be), then you should probably e-mail the developers or use whatever form of contact information they make available on their Web site. Have you already tried them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't, just saw a lot of other recent requests for the info have all gone ignored so I wanted to see if I missed something maybe someone who paid early on it had found out.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It's just stupid that they don't release this thing. I mean, the game is DONE and already DRM-FREE. All they have to do is pay a CD replicator to make the things and re-purpose the box art from the other editions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

double post?
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-14-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You got no argument from me, and it's why I popped for it at $7.50. I would have those few days ago paid the $50 if they got this shit in gear as it should have been out already along with the DC release. It's more depressing how long they've had the guide in waiting since a preorder and pics of it have been around for a good stretch. It's like they don't want money, they just want to look cool like they're real big shot game developers when it's really a foolish pool of amateurs that have no clue what they're doing only to the point of not driving themselves out of business.

I'm still very interested in the guide considering their somewhat confusing design choices on what is walkable terrain and not in whatever releases there is as I'm too short on time to slog through confusing dungeons at this point in life.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Sounds to me like it is time for you to improvise. Perhaps one day they will get their rears in gear, but until then...

You can go to http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/618165-z/faqs and follow that walk-through based on the SEGA Genesis version. I know it doesn't have screenshots, but it is pretty clear, and perhaps there is an online walk-through that includes "official strategy guide quality" images to accompany the text - perhaps even one which is suitable for printing! I haven't seen any, but you know...

As afar as the game itself, burn it to a CD-R and print out some inserts with a CD jewel case kit. Consider these two things as "good enough" unless official replacements are released. I know it is not the same, but it is close enough for now, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a bad idea really. I backed it up to my 32GB usb stick drive and I did grab that guide because getting around the areas is confusing because they really didn't colorize it proper to know what is art and what is walkable or a legit wall, that's why I was hoping for the guide alone as the faq is useful otherwise. I did find holding R on my controller pulled up a map with an odd radar that beeps more the closer to treasure boxes which is odd as they're on the map anyway.

I've looked for a good stretch so far, there is no visual pictorial guide around so it's youtube or nothing.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm awaiting a physical Dreamcast version myself. I'm a sucker for physical releases. I remember it was supposed to be out by christmas but by now I'm used to endless delays from them. I have a Genesis copy of the first game and it took over 2 years to get that from when I ordered it. I will say this, there nice guys.

back a few years ago when I finally did get my game (Genny version) I had just ended a long term relationship and the game shipped to her house and she neglected to inform me it needed picked up from the PO. that said it ended up shipping back to China or wherever. That was a dark time for me and it wasn't a priority at the time so I kind of let it go and took it as a loss. fast forward over 2 years later and I was advised by a friend to try contacting Watermelon and explain what happened even though a few years had past. I did and they were very nice about it. immediately confirmed my information and resent me a 1st edition copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That was very nice of them, they do seem like the types. I just think they do justly get nicked on the delays as they are ridiculous is all. I'm surprised they still had first edition Genesis games lying around still. Wish they'd let some more games go for those who have a MD/Genesis and want it but I guess they need to hold a few in case of special stuff (like you) or break downs to replace.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm surprised they still had first edition Genesis games lying around still.
    I'm surprised as well. I was fortunate to win a contest they had for a free copy, at the time I won I was asked to pick which version I wanted so I chose the US Genesis version. When I finally received it I was sent a different version than what I asked for. I was given an explanation that there must have been a reason for the change, but they couldn't remember what the reason was. I was told that with a change/substitute like that I would have been sent an email to tell me, if I didn't get one it must have ended up in my junk folder. I actually check my junk folder often so I know I didn't get one, but nice touch to turn the blame back to me.

I would have bought a US version but decided not to as I was already supposed to receive a copy. I didn't want to get multiple copies to later flip, I just wanted one to keep in my collection. Plus at the time it wasn't supposed to be reprinted so I didn't want to deprive another collector from being able to play it. By the time I received my copy they were already sold out so I couldn't order one, besides the expensive ebay copies from flippers.

It didn't cost me anything so I let it go. It still bugs me a bit though, but I'm still keeping the copy they sent me. I'm still glad to have won a contest for anything, and it's still nice they offered a copy for free in the first place.