Thread: IronFall: Invasion (60 FPS Up-to-6-player First-person Shooter for Nintendo 3DS)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default IronFall: Invasion (60 FPS Up-to-6-player First-person Shooter for Nintendo 3DS)

New (January 2015) 60 F.P.S. trailer showing single-player and multi-player and game features:

More info about it from this Nintendo Direct at the 41:57 time-stamp:

I think Japan's programmers could learn a few dozen things from these guys. V.D.Dev's men are real programmers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ironfall is stunning. I remember awhile back, not sure if it was on this site, I remember linking and talking up the tech demo video for this game from a year before that point. The amount of things they figured out with the engine they got going on 3DS so well is nothing short of amazing. Here it is by the way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8hDlolN3U

You can skim it and just read the tech data for what that engine can do on the second 3DS panel and it's crazy. The AI, destructable structures, all the lighting and audio effects, etc. It's just nuts. These are the same guys who made that stunning 3D engine for the GBA which handled Asterix, Stuntman and V-Rally 3. They really do know how to squeeze the most out of a system with their insane bag of tricks.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks amazing, I am just worried about controls.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well seeing that it supports the circle pad pro natively and will in turn support the new3ds camera nub stick thingy, it should play and behave fairly much like a full dual stick game pad since the New 3DS is setup that way.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well seeing that it supports the circle pad pro natively and will in turn support the new3ds camera nub stick thingy, it should play and behave fairly much like a full dual stick game pad since the New 3DS is setup that way.
    I unfortunately have a 2DS that I got for a great deal so that kind of leaves me out. I hope it controls like RE4 if you don't have the new 3DS or the circle pad. I am not buying a new 3DS anytime soon. I don't care for 3D at all and the extra stick should have been there from the start. I will check out a demo if they release one though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One of those videos (tech or game recent) said aiming on the touch panel can be done too. I'm thinking they have lots of options for whatever you own or are comfy with.

I think you're kind of lucky having that thing. My understanding is the screen is solid and and comfy to use too. Sure it has no 3D or a 2nd speaker(lame on that one) but for the price it's not bad off the shelf.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Well this one snuck under the radar. Ironfall released on the 26th of February, 2015. Looks like it hit the eShop as a free download - that is, one level from the single-player and one level from the multi-player for free, and $5 apiece to unlock a whole single-player or multi-player set - therefore $10 to unlock all of the stages for both modes.

Anyone try this? How is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controls drove me up a wall.

That said I'm not a fan of over the should shooters on controllers of any sort, so it may just be me.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    The controls drove me up a wall.

That said I'm not a fan of over the should shooters on controllers of any sort, so it may just be me.
    Yes, the controls suck. The c-stick on the new 3ds is a colossal fail. It's not even a stick, just a pressure sensitive thing. Impossible for precise aiming. How hard was it to put a second analog pad on the thing?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Yes, the controls suck. The c-stick on the new 3ds is a colossal fail. It's not even a stick, just a pressure sensitive thing. Impossible for precise aiming. How hard was it to put a second analog pad on the thing?
    That is for the "New" "New" 3DS coming next spring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Actually the c-stick is awesome. I love it for camera controls in Monster Hunter and the like. I actually really like that it's a nub, and it's sensitivity is perfect.

I'm just saying I can't play these kinds of games without a mouse and keyboard.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Actually the c-stick is awesome. I love it for camera controls in Monster Hunter and the like. I actually really like that it's a nub, and it's sensitivity is perfect.

I'm just saying I can't play these kinds of games without a mouse and keyboard.
    I can play them just fine with 2 analog sticks. Precise aiming is impossible with this thing though. The sensitivity is far from perfect. It plays poorly with Ironfall and Moon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To each their own. I am not good, just passable using twin sticks, so if I can get a game on a computer that's also on console like a FPS, I'll almost always ignore the console game even if the experience is more steady/guaranteed on dedicated console hardware. Dual sticks just are slower and less precise. I imagine if I grabbed that demo I'd probably be no worse for wear than if it had 2 dedicated thumb sticks.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I played the demo of this in the past few days. It was good. The demo level was long (about 1 hour). I had no trouble with the controls - I used the stylus to control the look/camera operations. I had to turn up the sensitivity, but once I did, it was smooth sailing. The story was generic and unremarkable as it was just another "Aliens invade!" plot.

The graphics, while they weren't amazing from an artistic direction, they were fantastic on a technical level. They contained so many reflections, shaders, and advance graphical effects, it was awesome. Think, "Ooh, shiny!" without it all being distracting.

The voice acting was fairly sub-par though. While most of it was passable, the woman's voice acting was terrible. Most of the actors sounded like they were reading from a script - however they put some emotion into it. The woman just sounded flat-faced and dull. She just didn't "read into it" when delivering her lines.