Thread: Oculus rift dk2, have you tried it? Is it really the next big thing or just gimmick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Oculus rift dk2, have you tried it? Is it really the next big thing or just gimmick?

I went to an old friends house last weekend and finally had a chance to test his brand new oculus rift! I must say that it is impressive and immersive. I tried a couple of tech demos, like watching a movie in imax theater really gives you the impression that your watching a movie with a 300 feet screen! Also tried a rollercoaster ride and you feel dizzy just like you would in real life. I was both impressed and disapointed at the same time, especially with the pixels you see when wearing the glasses, and i cant see myself gaming for more than 15 minutes with these, I tried a spacecraft game (dont remember the name) and was really good, but when you pilot you get sick from the motion has if you were flying a real plane. So have you tried it or own it? your impressions of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haven't tried any of it yet.

Don't they have an even newer version than the DK2 ?

I'm guessing the first consumer version will be pretty lame in terms of the resolution to each eye, but hopefully there will continue to be revisions and improvements to the screen with future generations, and eventually the screen will cease to be the problem. Also, they recently bought a company that makes a camera that can see your hands and fingers moving around, so you can see yourself "at least your hands and fingers", in a VR world, in real time.

I'm guessing they will integrate that camera into the final consumer version before release.

I've also heard that they need to improve the ergonomics of it by leaps and bounds.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At this point I think most people's first consumer experience with VR will be Sony's project Morpheus. I am not sure if I am going to get any of these VR systems or not. Price will be a huge issue for some people and then of course you actually need games people want to play with them. They need that killer app or it will just be VR demos forever and turn into a neat thing to have but not needed. I hope they get it all right though. I am also glad that other companies are trying their hand at it. Competition will be good for all of us.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

The only stuff I know about the Oculus Rift is. As soon as it was acquired by Facebook almost all professional game creating studios backed out from having a go at it. Even Notch said Facebook is way too creepy. Many referred to Facebook as a micro transaction whore that has no experience making any good terms with games or hardware (like the Facebook phone). It also has made its way to Chicky Cheese with the CEO stating, "we need to stay ahead of entertainment that has made it to everyone's homes".

I think if anyone wants a good product it will come from Sony. The game creators will have much more security and incentive to build a game for the PS4 than an independent, Facebook acquired headset.

At this point the only thing that can save the oculus is the indie world and steam. Which has so far made a new way of watching movies or found new ways to test motion sickness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got 2 of the original Rift units. Waiting for a consumer version to upgrade...

It really shines with horror games plus full surround sound.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    The only stuff I know about the Oculus Rift is. As soon as it was acquired by Facebook almost all professional game creating studios backed out from having a go at it. Even Notch said Facebook is way too creepy. Many referred to Facebook as a micro transaction whore that has no experience making any good terms with games or hardware (like the Facebook phone). It also has made its way to Chicky Cheese with the CEO stating, "we need to stay ahead of entertainment that has made it to everyone's homes".

I think if anyone wants a good product it will come from Sony. The game creators will have much more security and incentive to build a game for the PS4 than an independent, Facebook acquired headset.

At this point the only thing that can save the oculus is the indie world and steam. Which has so far made a new way of watching movies or found new ways to test motion sickness.

I think the whole Facebook thing is being totally overblown. Actually "was" totally overblown. I think most folks have gotten over that whole thing, and also Facebook has shown an ability to purchase something, and let it operate relatively independently. It seems like Oculus is another acquisition that they aren't going to meddle with quite as much.

Now, having said all of that, of course if Oculus eventually becomes a really big deal, and if VR in general becomes a really big deal, then sure, I could imagine some creepy Facebook stuff being integrated into it, but I think we are like 10 years away from that happening, so I don't really think it's something people should get their panties in a bunch over.

By the time Facebook would screw Oculus up, so many other companies would be in the mix that you'd have plenty of alternatives to go with, if that was the case.