Thread: What is the diffeence between these PlayStation Units and the regular retail units?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is the diffeence between these PlayStation Units and the regular retail units?

What is the difference between these PlayStation Units and the regular retail units?
    The seller looks to be selling a few of them but is it easy to obtain the power adaptor for these or are they rare?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-PlayStat...item5b0b99be3f

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Simple answer is this. It's a debugging station with a differently chipped setup that allows burned discs and games from all regions(unofficially) to run on that console. It's basically the keys to the playstation palace because you can run burns or find a Japanese game we got screwed out of and it'll play it just fine. It's basically the perfect playstation without having to get into modchipping.

If you look at this, it's the same as the retail unit as far as the back goes.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playsta...p2047675.l2557

That's an old original style PS1 with A/V jacks on the back instead of that combined rectangular plug. Both the debugger and this one have superior audio that audiophiles go nuts over as it's great not just for games but listening to CDs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I see that the video and audio plugs are the normal ones but the power plug is different
    The normal retail units take the regular 2 prong cable, this units looks to take a special yellow adaptor which I have never seen or know where to find
    Id love to add this to my collection but don't want to shell out even more money with my limited budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You'll just need to find an adapter with the right volts/amps that fits. For all I know the one used on the slim PS1 or PS2 could work as those use the smaller jack, but if not you could get a multipin adapter from Radio Shack for like $30 or less from ebay.