Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Command & Conquer Gold Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Burning Command & Conquer Gold Edition

A few years ago, EA released this as a free download. Decided to revisit it today, but can't figure out how to burn it to a CD-r. I decompressed it and was left with a bunch of different files, where as it's supposed to be a ISO image. Trying to burn it with ImgBurn.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CommandandConquer.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	7807

Also, three of these folders include WinRar archives after I ran WinRar on the download itself. Should I leave those be, or decompress them as well?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is that still floating around or was it a get it while it was good situation? I had found the 10 year package with all sorts of junk and it hated windows 7 64bit so I'm sure it'll hate win8.1 even more and I'd love to find a version that would work.

Hey I just found this, you maybe interested: http://digiex.net/downloads/download...d-free-ea.html

Command & Conquer Gold - Patched Installer for Windows 7, 8 - Released for Free By EA
    The Gold Edition (basically, hi-res Windows port) of Command & Conquer 1 was released as freeware by Electronic Arts, to celebrate the 12th anniversary of the Command & Conquer franchise.

This installer gives you the full game, with all game music, playable without CDs, and upgraded with the fan-made 1.06c patch. The new features added by this patch give you:

Tons of bug fixes in the game engine, graphics and missions
    the ability to play the game in any higher resolution you want
    Improved multiplayer support using the CnCNet system
    The Covert Operations expansion pack
    All of the exclusive missions made for the console versions of C&C
    About a dozen remixed music tracks which were disabled in the original game
    All 3 original languages in which the game was released on PC (English, German and French), plus the Japanese language (voice sets only) from the console versions of the game

The added videos pack completes the game, giving you more than 60 minutes of live-action video briefings and 3D-rendered battle cutscenes

This installer also solves the fact that the CD installer of C&C95 is a 16-bit program, which doesn't run on 64-bit Windows systems.

Download: Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06c revision 2, no videos, all music included): 96.5 MB
    Download: Videos Addon (original English videos): 467.6 MB

Edit #2: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...les.html#ra303 (Seems you can also use this link for a similar patch to get Red Alert win95 too.)
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've grabbed the downloads from elsewhere. I don't think EA still has them up at this time.

http://www.cncnz.com/features/freewa...conquer-games/

I'll check out your link, thanks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-27-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the link I'll try it. That version I linked, I guess it is a lie and hates Win8.1 (maybe it just likes 8??) It bombed so hard I couldn't even close it, waited like 1-2min for it to time out and force a crash of it by win8 as I couldn't even do it from task mgr.

I'll try and pure one from EA off your link and see if it bombs too. I'm starting to get pissed at win8.1 a bit as it's cockblocking me on some of my favorite early 90s games (Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga being the big one, XWing and Tie FIghter collector's editions but with the Gog.com releases I dodged that bullet.) My Williams Pinball Classics (4 tables, not related to Pinball Arcade) fails. C&C95 here is dumping out. GRR!

Edit: Well a victory -- that original install custom job I found worked. It appears that the default EA did was to set a WIn98/ME compatibility mode and in turn it caused all the modern patches to have a pissy fit and cause a major memory error. Uncheck the box, game runs like the old days, yet nicer since it's full screen very high res so I can see a lot more of the area as it's opened up. This one goes definitely on my thumb drive. It also seems to include the additional unique stages the PS1 and N64 versions has for fun play along with others. I thought it had the addon CD package but I don't seem to see it. I never liked it much anyway so I don't care but that is odd.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-27-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It worked for me at least (I'm over 2/3's of the way through the GDI missions right now).

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wooo good job. I re-calibrated the install and messed with it, and it was a compatibility pissing match causing the issue. I only cleared up through stage 3 of the GDI as it was late. I'll have my fun with it, probably going to get my ass handed to me on those 2 annoying commando stages (hate them, love the rest of the game.)

I also snapped up Tiberian Sun too so I'll have to see how that one installs and one if not both will end up on my 32GB stick drive I keep stuff on in my desk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Finished the GDI campaign. End of the last level said something like 4:35 minutes. Not sure if that's how long the entire campaign took, or just the last level. Was quite a final battle so it wouldn't surprise me if that was just the last level (Off hand, I'd say I built about 25 expensive mammoth tanks during it for an example of how long and how many resources were expended).

Moved on to NOD but not having nearly the fun. The difficulty seems much higher just 4 or 5 levels in (Perhaps why I recall not ever finishing this originally), plus I prefer the look of the European levels over that of Africa. And the equipment is more interesting in my eyes with the GDI army, although the NOD death tower is a lot neater than GDI's Advanced Defense Tower.

I wish the RTS genre hadn't evolved much past this. Command & Conquer struck just about the perfect balance. Red Alert is still a fine game and made some welcome additions (I remember enjoying laying mine fields, for an example of something I wish was present here), but the over-complicating was quite evident just in that first sequel. That's an issue that I think led in part to the downfall of this genre from a mainstream one to a niche as the years wore on.

They started developing with a core fanbase in mind instead of the average Joe. Just like some fighting game developers made the mistake of doing, leaving accessibility behind and all but locking themselves in with an existing customer base.

Wish EA hadn't killed them off though. Westwood was the master of this genre and it has never been the same since.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-23-2015 at 03:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dude you are so preaching to the choir ...all of it.

I finished NOD once back in the 90s, did not like it, but I paid for it, but I've taken down the GDI side a good dozen times pre-2000~. I'm so out of practice it's like new. I wish things had stayed more like this too, it's why I gave up not the direct side of this genre not long after. Red Alert over complicated and cheapened things with those asinine underground levels and then the soviet ability to freeze your hardware while they blow it up at whim (total bullshit) yet if you played their side (which I hated) it was far far easier so there was no good balance. GDI and NOD did have balance, even if the evil side wasn't as fun. From there blizzard stepped in it and went to Starcraft over Warcraft and put in 3 armies, rapid building on the enemy side over what you can do making things drawn out and painful while having lots of complicated unit factors to think about. I stopped on Blizzard there. I gave Westwood a last try with Tiberian Sun, and I did maybe 1/2 that game I think and it got wonky too like they wanted to steal the starcraft style and I quit on them too.

Ever so often I'd go back and fire up C&C1, Dune 2, and Warcraft 1 and 2 with addon packages. I then around 2001 discovered Age of Empires 2 as people at midway would play it on lunch at their stations and network fought. I found it has the slower pace of the older RTS we like, yet had the tech tree on Civilization and I loved it. I didn't much care for the campaign, but doing random tiny to small sized maps(as they got HUGE) kept me playing a long time. I quit on RTS after that as I never found one with the fair and balanced challenge that lacked the overly complicated stupidity or cheap moments the 2 kings of the RTS for PC stepped into.

EA sucks...the Evil Alliance, wrecked Westwood and you're right, downhill ever since.

By the way Tiberian Sun will not work despite that installer EA put out. They halfassed it doing like an hours worth of reading last night. They sloppily copied the directory off the 10th anniv CD package, removed the real installer, threw a .reg file on there, and you basically have to copy crap all over the place, manually enter a registry entry, and then on a win8 machine find a 'trusted' (hah) site with random DLLs to get the missing files. I ended up just erasing the mess as it's not worth it. If someone ever makes a good installer for it I'll give it another go.

*** I had something here about Red Alert but I think I solved it.
    It appears that the download on one particular site is just a front end tool to get the original ISOs or (on their side) web based copies of them to install to a PC. The installer gives both off and online play with all the customizing the C&C Gold package does. The one glaring problem is the installer will fail on its own with ISOs. They need to be via 7Zip extracted into directories (which you can pick to be read in the installer) and even then it will bitch about failing on downloading some unncessary file during download. I told it to cancel off that and it still installed the entire set of Allied and Soviet install discs to the computer. Or at least I'm hoping it did, it runs fine, and the install rolls in around 1 GB directory size on the computer so that seems probably right given install CDs have extra fluff.

I played the first stage real fast going all commando with Tonya (forgot about her and that evil laugh, it's funny) and got out Einstein but the she got blown up by an off shore shelling after the fact I'll redo it.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-29-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ever play Army Men RTS? That stuck to the basics and is one I'm almost as fond of as this one.

Another reason I love this game so much is the color palette. For some reason, dark and gritty soon became the norm in later years. But here, everything is bright and colorful.

This campaign is tough though. On a mission right now where I have to find a nearly destroyed Nod base with a small squad of infantry, which triggers a Chinook to appear after discovery that I then have to use to ferry two engineers and infantry to an "abandoned" GDI base that is still actively harvesting tiberium.

Finally figured that all out and safely captured the GDI base and defeated the infantry in the vicinity, but they just keep sending more troops, Humvees, and tanks every couple of minutes. I'll have to try something different I guess, since my guard towers were useless against the enemy armor and I'm not having time to build anything substantial like a airstrip to deploy my own armor.

Wish I had kept track of my mission selections with the GDI campaign, since I wouldn't mind replaying it by going a different route. Going to be a bit of a pain now with figuring out what I haven't yet played if I do that.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-29-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I remember that stage being a pain in the ass back in the day but I used to know how to finish it. I hope whenever I can get to it again it comes back to me as it sucks when they just keep pumping more junk and you have no heals and no backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sad to report neither game is functioning properly now that I'm really digging into it. Red Alert isn't triggering events like captures and stuff so stages are left impossible to complete when you need to blow this up or grab that structure. C&C is randomly crashing with no real reason why but it just does like every stage or two, maybe it's after X minutes, not sure.

I've erased both. One dies too much to enjoy it (my favorite) and the other is malfunctioning into being a progression stopping bug so I've erased them. It's good you can play, but I guess you can't always go back.

I know there's that 'freec&c and freera' thing out there, but they are not the same game, they're built to honor them and have their own stages and some tweaked mechanics so I have no interest. What a bitch. >:[ The only thing it appears I could mess with is that Dune2 openGL setup someone made that'll run that old title using it's library files but even that (ran it on win7) isn't quite right but at least it's good enough. I guess I should go track that down since it's free too.

EDIT: I went and grabbed that Dune 2 game I spoke of. The game was freely released some years ago by EA like C&C but earlier so oddly it's scarce to find in that format. Your best bet annoyingly is abandonia.com or another abandonware site. Then you get this: http://dunelegacy.sourceforge.net/website/ (Dune Legacy) and you're set. The game has some minor tweaks so it behaves like C&C so you can select more than one unit at a time (old game didn't) and all you need to do is just extract the DUNE zip into a folder, run the Legacy installer, tell it where that folder is and it'll set it up for you and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-29-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I think I remember that stage being a pain in the ass back in the day but I used to know how to finish it. I hope whenever I can get to it again it comes back to me as it sucks when they just keep pumping more junk and you have no heals and no backup.
    I solved it by building extensive sandbag fortifications to block entrances and eventually seal all the tiberium sources, a trick I remember from back in the day. The AI isn't programmed to attack walls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That sounds familiar. I recall sandbagging off entire areas between ridges. But again, it's gone, the game won't run for me without randomly crashing. I've instead moved onto Dune 2.

If someone decides they love C&C as much as Dune 2 and makes a cozy win 64bit friendly frontend like Dune Legacy where it just uses the ISO/CD contents and its own file system/loader executable I'm back in the game I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's too bad. I guess being out of date is working to my benefit, whatever version of Windows I happen to be using right now [Edit: It's Windows Vista].

Found an odd bug last night. Several enemy soldiers were stuck in a tiberium field frozen in place but twitching. Ran over part of the group and it seemed to reactivate them.

Only other bug I had, and one I think I remember experiencing nearly 20 years ago, was my repair depot ceasing to function. Had to build another one and destroy it by forcing my own troops to fire upon it (I couldn't even sell it).

Otherwise, my only issues are due to the original code, such as my harvesters sometimes just deciding to park, suddenly going off course without any warning into an enemy encampment on the same route it had taken correctly dozens of trips before, etc.

Edit: Onto the final mission of the Nod campaign.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-30-2015 at 11:25 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

You guys could always try Virtual Machines. I've found that any Windows 95/98 game that doesn't need 3D acceleration worked just fine in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, which was the easiest to set up and use. This was how I had to play C&C Gold outside of having an actual Win98 machine (unlike you guys, I have to play from actual discs--I bought it back when it was released in a pack called Worldwide Warfare, back when we all thought Red Alert would be the last C&C game).

I always preferred the Warcraft series myself (still haven't played part 3) but I keep wanting to finish one one of these games. That's right, the Count of Monte Cristo has never beaten a Command and Conquer game -__-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wrapped up the Nod campaign tonight. Strange ending...

The first path (Of three options for the final campaign) I took wore me down after a couple of hours leaving victory clearly out of my grasp, so I restarted tonight by selecting a different path and while I wasted some resources due to not knowing the map (I built 8 or so tanks, a repair bay, a Obelisk, and lots of sandbag walls and such that basically went unused on what ended up an island), it ended up being surprisingly easy.

Tanooki, do you remember the Nod temple? Building one seemed to start a nuclear bomb for me. But after using it, it never regenerated like the GDI laser blast from space does? I even destroyed the temple and constructed a new one, but it never reappeared.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-31-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do and that doesn't seem right. I would have thought more than one bomb was possible given the GDI space cannon could be shot again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And annoyingly, my one nuke to a game limitation apparently doesn't apply to the AI. Just was bombed for the second time in the same game, during the 2nd GDI special mission.

Time to make them pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Now that BS I do remember and it's infuriating. It's not the first game to pull that crap, try out Dune 2 and play as someone other than the Harkonen. Those evil pricks have a hard on for using tactical nukes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stupid game...

So I was warned about A-10 Thunderbolt II's in this one. Rather than build SAM sites, I just automatically conquered the level. But no victory, so I just kept going and going, building silos as I filled them with tiberium and building as many troops and tanks as I could. I just couldn't figure it out (Plus after a time, I wanted to see how far I could go before it stopped allowing me to build... there's no building limit that I found, but I ran into vehicle and troop limits; The dense red areas on the radar are parking lots for my tanks).

A portion of that can be seen below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lol.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	7847

All I had to do was build a single missile site to win the dumb thing, as I found out when I replayed it just now and still couldn't win even though I destroyed every enemy and enemy installation. Wonder what Westwood was thinking.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-13-2015 at 02:42 AM.